AEW Saturday Collision

Hannibal Scorch

• Paid Members

The main event was really very good. Solid, stuff had time to breathe, it was the best I've ever seen Juice Robinson (I've been very down on him, but thought he did very well here). 

Punk looks like shite. Looks like he wasn't expecting to actually be back and hadn't been preparing for it. I hope a couple of months leads to him getting his mojo back in that regard - unlike how when we hoped the same for Keith Lee, it never happened and the performances suffered. 

The opening promo was a total heel promo in my book, that got a positive reaction in Chicago. The same promo anywhere else gets booed out of the building. Good if that's what they are going for - time will tell. 

Nigel McGuinness is a terrible commentator. Right up there with Pat McAfee, Mauro Ranallo, Corey Graves etc. I think that was a large part of why this show felt very much like a WWE show to me. 

Luchasaurus winning the TNT belt? Anyone got a shotgun and an empty shed to take Wardlow to? 

Just now, WeeAl said:

Punk looks like shite.

You think so? I think he actually looked pretty good physically. Well, for a guy who's 44 years old and has reputedly never been on the juice or anything like that. He's clearly been working on his physique a bit, and while he's never going to be Brian Cage or Batista, he looks a bit more muscular than he did when he left.

And considering he has wrestled a handful of matches in the past year, I thought he looked not too bad. He'll obviously improve as he gets back to full fitness, but having him back and working with the right people will undoubtedly help.

Well, that crowd was hot tonight. I would say it seemed 50/50 on Punk in the actual arena. Honestly, if they don't turn him heel, where he basically goes all-in (pardon the pun) on those who are booing him, while appreciating the fans who aren't, they're missing a trick. 

Bring on Forbidden Door!

Do you know what makes CM Punk so good, still? He reads a room and rides a wave like absolute nobody. He can be exactly who he needs to be based on what’s presented to him.

So I agree, I very much want him to go full dickhead, but he might not have to. Given he’s hated by some for what people think he’s like in real life - it’s probably a safe assumption, but none of us really know from the other side of our Twitter feeds and forums - he can maybe just be himself and react to the crowds he’s given.

Last night was thrilling. Viva La CM Cena.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

• Paid Members

The commentary on this show is just awful. Soul destroyingly dull. I can barely watch it. Kevin Kelly sounds like a fucking AI based off his Metal and Superstars commentary from 1999. Nigel McGuinness has one pitch, drones on all night talking absolute bollocks. Absolutely no fun at all from these two.

5 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

The commentary on this show is just awful. Soul destroyingly dull. I can barely watch it. Kevin Kelly sounds like a fucking AI based off his Metal and Superstars commentary from 1999. Nigel McGuinness has one pitch, drones on all night talking absolute bollocks. Absolutely no fun at all from these two.

100% this. Perhaps I missed it, but it took them until the end of the TNT Title segment to explain that Christian Cage was not the champion, and even then they didn’t do it particularly well. They didn’t even comment on his actions as Excalibur/Schiavone/Taz (or any of the WWE lot) would have - I think I’d taken for granted how much that kind of thing adds to a segment.

I’d be a bit more forgiving of the announce team situation if they didn’t have Ian Riccaboni and Caprice Coleman on staff, and even Paul Wight who was a lot of fun on Elevation. Kelly and McGuinness are so bland. 

• Paid Members
29 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

At one point Nigel McGuinness went “I used to be a Chiropractor you know?” Then when Kevin Kelly asked him about it he went “Nah only pulling your leg”.

Ladies and gentlemen I ask you, where is the joke?

I don’t find them as bad as other people and it’s still nice not to have Excalibur there for every single show, but even adding a 3rd man might freshen it up. 

I thought it was a fantastic show. Loved the cold open they did with the promos and the main event was red hot. Will be interesting to see a neutral crowd react to CM Punk because we’ve had the Home and Away crowds now. 

That was really, really good. Another Collision that's different enough from Dynamite, too.

Agreed about Kevin Kelly and Nigel though. I reckon Nigel is alright if he had someone else to bounce off. Kevin Kelly ain't it. Bin him off to the taped show.

Also, as has been established every time, Punk looks 1000% better in trunks than in long bois.

Edited by 69MeDon

• Paid Members

Outside of the main event I thought the show was pretty ropey. But that main event was cracking though, this BCG/Gunns group naturally fit together as a group of absolute massive dickheads just perfectly. I'd love to see them feud with The Elite further down the line.

• Paid Members

Kevin Kelly's a massive upgrade to Excalibur to me. Doesn't mean he's that good though. The dearth of decent commentators since the mid nineties is not talked about enough. And no, Ian Riccobani isn't that good either. 

Fantastic show though, perfect atmosphere in the main event, I ate it up. 

McGuiness is woeful. I like Kelly but he needs some enthusiasm and conflict next to him and current set up isn’t it. Him and Callis worked well together, leave his story on dynamite and out him in the chair here. 

I was never in the Collision needs to be radically different to dynamite when what they are doing on dynamite is working, but I like this is a bit different and both shows feel they are getting that bit more space to breathe in, which will only increase post Sunday