UFC Vegas: Song vs Simon - Apr 29 šŸ‡ŗšŸ‡ø

wandshogun09

Who wins?   

4 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Sick of saying it now but weā€™re off to the Apex again for this šŸ˜” itā€™s about the most ā€˜Apexā€™ looking card you can imagine as wellā€¦

C15-EB846-C043-42-EA-ABB9-655-F1-D9140-F

ESPN MAIN CARD
Song Yadong vs Ricky SimonĀ 

Caio Borralho vs Michal OleksiejczukĀ 

Cody Brundage vs Rodolfo VieiraĀ 

Julian Erosa vs Fernando Padilla

Waldo Cortes-Acosta vs Marcos Rogerio De LimaĀ 

Josh Quinlan vs Trey WatersĀ 

ESPN+/FIGHT PASS PRELIMSĀ 
Jake Collier vs Martin Buday

Cody Durden vs Charles JohnsonĀ 

Stephanie Egger vs Irina AlekseevaĀ 

Journey Newson vs Marcus McGheeĀ 

Hailey Cowan vs Jamey-Lyn HorthĀ 

Ā 

Weak as piss. I mean, there is some stuff worth checking in for and I do actually like that main event. But on the whole, as a complete card itā€™s thinner than Clay Guidaā€™s hairline. Thatā€™s the bout order as it stands but, letā€™s be honest, however they shuffle this one itā€™s not gonna look much better. Canā€™t polish a turd etc.

Ā 

Ā 

F0-A56885-C844-4-F1-D-92-B6-FAD1772-A6-B

Song Yadong vs Ricky Simon is your new 5 round main event. These two were originally supposed to meet a week earlier but when the Tsarukyan vs Moicano headliner dropped off this one, they did a reshuffle and moved Song and Simon here. I donā€™t hate it. It was my ā€˜one to watchā€™ when it was on the other card, I was looking forward to it then. Now theyā€™ve got an extra couple of rounds to play with and thatā€™s no bad thing.

F4-EAC1-EA-01-E8-486-A-8-A49-39-DC7-D6-D

72-D2-F11-B-C657-4-DE0-B654-C605-E175-FF

Songā€™s coming off that doctor stoppage loss against Cory Sandhagen back in September. It was a really good fight and Song was certainly competitive but that horrific gash on the eyebrow and the orbital damage just forced the doctorā€™s hand. It was a good call. He was losing the fight anyway and for a young fighter of 25 years old, live to fight another day. He was on a nice little run before that loss. Knocked out Marlon Moraes and Julio Arce, took a points win off Chito Vera in 2020 in a cracking fight etc. Heā€™s good. He hasnā€™t quite lived up to the hype some were putting on him when he first came in. I remember Urijah Faber especially bigging him up like fuck back then. But he would with Song being a Team Alpha Male prospect at the time. Heā€™s still got some time. Iā€™m not convinced he gets to that next level and succeeds there but heā€™s good enough that heā€™ll have his moments and there are plenty of fun fights to make with him. This being one of them.

1-F085435-6369-4-DD9-90-DD-E47-D1-E6459-

Iā€™ve felt like Ricky Simon has been a tad underrated for a bit now. And funnily enough in this case, I think it mostly stems from his 2019 loss to Songā€™s mentor Faber. That wasnā€™t a good look for Simon. Not that thereā€™s any shame in losing to a legend and pioneer like Faber but the timing of it wasnā€™t the best. Simon was coming off a win and a really strong performance against Rani Yahya and had also submitted Merab Dvalishvili (forgot about that one!), and here came Old Man Faber, coming out of retirement to just blitz Simon in under a minute. Simon then lost to Rob Font and I think everyone kind of dismissed and wrote him off after that. Heā€™s been on a roll since though. Heā€™s won his last 5 in a row, including a knockout win over Raphael Assuncao and a submission win last summer over Jack Shore. The Shore win really stood out because Shore was unbeaten going in and big things were expected of him. Simon bursting that bubble turned a lot of heads. Thisā€™ll be his first ever UFC main event and if he can beat Song here, it should bag him something juicy next time out. I really like this fight. Happy for them getting the headline spot as well, despite it not being the plan initially. I can see there being some moaning about it as a main event but itā€™s way better than a good percentage of the shit weā€™ve been subjected to at the Apex.

Ā 

F74-D9376-3-DC2-485-F-8914-F7-C6-BDA2828

Caio Borralho vs Michal Oleksiejczuk is ***WANDā€™S ONE TO WATCH***Ā this time. Not exactly spoiled for choice on this card. I do like this matchup though. The UFC brass definitely seem high on Borralho. He came in last year off DWCS and immediately got two Fight Night co-main event spots. And here he is again co-headlining. He looks like heā€™s got some potential, to be fair. Heā€™s 13-1-0-1 and 3-0 in the UFC so far. I remember him looking like a bit of a beast in his debut against Omargadzhiev but it ended on a technical decision after an illegal knee. Not ideal. His wins over Petrosyan and Muradov were decent but forgettable. I get the feeling we havenā€™t seen the best of him yet though. Oleksiejczuk might be the man to bring that out of him because Oleksiejczuk is dangerous. He spent most of his career as a chubby 205er but he always had a dig on him. After a loss to Dustin Jacoby last year, he finally made the cut to 185 and heā€™s bashed up Sam Alvey and Cody Brundage with back-to-back first round finishes. I donā€™t think heā€™s going very far in the Middleweight division. His flaws are there whichever weight class heā€™s in. Heā€™s an all or nothing type who will gas himself out trying to knock you out. You either survive and he fades, or you eat canvas. But he makes for entertaining viewing. I expect Borralho to go the grappling route here and itā€™ll probably pay off for him. But Iā€™d like to see Oleksiejczuk ask some questions of him, put him in a bit of bother or something.

Ā 

1-A3-D5-CD4-2-E84-4-A4-F-ADF7-9-DB9-EFCB

Cody Brundage vs Rodolfo Vieira, like a lot of fights on this card, is just there filling a slot. Itā€™s not a bad fight but itā€™s not one thatā€™s jumping off the screen or getting anyone excited either. Brundage is 8-3 and got stopped in a round by Oleksiejczuk in his last fight in December. Before that heā€™d scored back-to-back first round finishes over Tresean Gore and Dalcha Lungiambula. Vieiraā€™s 8-2 and has lost 2 of his last 3 against Chris Curtis and Anthony Hernandez. Heā€™s one of the most decorated grapplers on the roster, a BJJ black-belt with medals coming out of his arse but it hasnā€™t been that smooth of a transition into MMA. It started well enough but it seems like heā€™s already found his level and itā€™s not particularly high. Think he just made the jump a tad late, to be honest. Heā€™s 33 now so his skillset is what it is really. Heā€™s not gonna be making any huge strides in the striking. This is a winnable fight for him but theyā€™re both kind of floundering. Might be decent but Iā€™m not counting the days or anything.

Ā 

1-CE486-C8-7-D73-49-E0-9-ED8-ADB2328-F10

Julian Erosa vs Fernando Padilla will be worth a gander. Erosa is the type who seems to be able to have at least a decent fight with anyone, win or lose. Heā€™s 28-10 and coming off a TKO loss to Alex Caceres. Like pretty much everyone else on this card, heā€™s going nowhere but usually fairly consistently entertaining to watch. Just quickly looking at his record now, his fights with Steven Peterson and Sean Woodson immediately jumped out in my memory as proper hidden gems that a lot of people mightnā€™t know about. Heā€™s also got a 56 second flying knee KO win over Nate Landwehr! Donā€™t know this Padilla sod. Sherdog tells me heā€™s Mexican, 26 years old and 14-4 with 12 finishes. Thisā€™ll be his UFC debut. Heā€™s fought a few recognisable names already though. He submitted Darrick Minner back in 2017 and has decision losses to Dan Ige and Spike Carlyle. Interesting.

Ā 

B565-DED1-6303-4673-94-A8-5-FFE97-A19-DC

Waldo Cortes-Acosta vs Marcos Rogerio De Lima is arse. De Limaā€™s been on the roster since 2014. NINE FUCKING YEARS! He did absolutely fuck all of note the first 7 or so. He has scored first round finishes over the ancient versions of Andrei Arlovski and Ben Rothwell in more recent times. Too late now though. Just canā€™t be doing with him. Maybe Cortes-Acosta can do something with him but Iā€™m not holding my breath. Heā€™s undefeatedĀ at 9-0Ā and has beat Jared Vanderaa and Chase Sherman since signing with the UFC. The fact he couldnā€™t finish either of them doesnā€™t fill me with hope and I fucking hated one of those fights. Think it was the Vanderaa one where Acosta kept taunting and dancing about in a fight that any real Heavyweight prospect of note wouldā€™ve treated like a squash match. Can see the fast forward button on my remote taking the biggest beating in this one. The fact this is on a main card, even an Apex main card, in 2023 is depressing.

Ā 

6112-C13-F-61-AE-4-AC4-A939-BD9341-E0430

Josh Quinlan vs Trey Waters is a mystery now. Iā€™m not that familiar with Quinlan and Iā€™ve never seen Waters. It was supposed to be Quinlan vs Ange Loosa but Loosa pulled out. The one time I did see Quinlan, he made quite a first impression.

image.gif.d81c81d4f7bb3d541e4d1733e7297083.gif

He knocked out Jason Witt in just 2 minutes in his Octagon debut back in August. Looked good as I recall and it was cool seeing how calm and collected he was to stop himself landing that unnecessary follow up shot there as well. Just shows how relaxed he mustā€™ve been, despite it being his debut, to have the presence of mind to do that with the adrenaline flowing. Heā€™s undefeated at 6-0-0-1 so far. Waters jumps in on less than a weekā€™s notice. Heā€™s 7-1 with 6 finishes and heā€™s 6ā€™5ā€ which is big for Welterweight. His only loss to date was a submission against Gabriel Bonfim on DWCS in September. He bounced back in style by winning the LFA title in his last fight 2 weeks ago.Ā 

Ā 

A4690-C8-B-F37-A-4835-A2-FE-E3-E7681-A0-

Jake Collier vs Martin Budayā€¦ugh šŸ¤¢ this is gonna be ugly. Iā€™ve made no secret that Iā€™ve got no time for Collier. He might be a nice guy for all I know but I only see him in the cage and there heā€™s a boring great big slug of a man. Honestly think the only time Iā€™ve enjoyed watching him was his last fight and thatā€™s only because he got walloped by Chris Barnett. Heavyweight is full of these type of shitehawks. Itā€™s not just Collier, obviously. But heā€™s the go-to name I think of when the subject of crap, fat, lazy, dull HWs comes up. He embodies all thatā€™s wrong with the division. Budayā€™s not much better either but he hasnā€™t been around as long so I havenā€™t sat through as many duds of his. Heā€™s 11-1 with 8 finishes and coming off a big split decision win over Lukasz Brzeski!

Ā 

12051-C0-C-73-F0-4968-82-AD-EDCAC6-E0-CE

Cody Durden vs Charles Johnson isnā€™t doing much for me but Iā€™m hoping Johnson chins him. Really donā€™t like Durden at all. Seemed a right cock in the buildup to the Mokaev fight last year and heā€™s said and tweeted some dodgy/racist stuff as well. Fuck him. That said, heā€™s not a bum. Heā€™s beat Aori Qileng and JP Buys and in his last fight he spoiled the UFC debut of Carlos Mota, who was coming in with some buzz. Heā€™s not a terrible fighter. He is a cunt though. Johnson is 13-4 and lost a split decision to Ode Osbourne in a good, close, competitive fight back in February. He battered Jimmy Flick before that and he did take Mokaev to the scorecards last summer. He certainly fared better against Mokaev than Durden did.

Ā 

258-C635-B-613-E-4-D9-D-800-B-1-C1-E6994

Stephanie Egger vs Irina Alekseeva is a fight Iā€™m kind of interested in and itā€™s not for Steph Ham & Egger. Sheā€™s 34 with an 8-3 record and sheā€™s going nowhere. Very average. Sheā€™s submitted Jessica Rose Clark and Ailin Perez but thatā€™s about as good as itā€™s getting for her. Alekseeva is making her debut here and Iā€™m a tad intrigued.

F405-E2-C1-C605-49-F7-AE33-33-EA15-D108-

Sheā€™s 32 years old and 4-1 in MMA, nothing outstanding about that. Sheā€™s also a 3 time silver medalist at the Russian Judo Championships and has won gold medals in Sambo. In some circles sheā€™s been nicknamed the ā€˜Russian Rondaā€™. Hopefully itā€™s just the Judo background they have in common. Weā€™ll see how she looks here. Like I said, Egger isnā€™t much good but sheā€™ll beat the bottom level girls. So weā€™ll at least see if Alekseeva is above that level here.

Ā 

C924-BA8-D-19-F4-4-DF9-AF54-5126-A55-C8-

Journey Newson vs Marcus McGhee is whatever. Itā€™s a last minute patch up job because Brian Kelleher was pulled out with injury issues. Donā€™t know whatā€™s gone on there but Kelleher seems like he wanted to fight but the UFC doctors wouldnā€™t clear him. McGhee steps in on a few days notice. I donā€™t know anything about him but a quick search tells me heā€™s 32 years old with a record of 6-1, all 6 wins by KO/TKO. If heā€™s any good he should probably be beating Newson but the short notice could be a bit of an x-factor. Newsonā€™s been on the roster since 2019 and I couldnā€™t really give you any standout moments. Heā€™s 10-4-0-1 and has only won 1 out of his 5 fights in the UFC.

Ā 

7687-A50-D-4-F64-47-D5-A119-413-E0953885

Hailey Cowan vs Jamey-Lyn Horth. Not a clue. Both are making their UFC debuts and Iā€™ve never seen either fight before. Cowanā€™s had a few false starts. Sheā€™s had a couple of fights scheduled as her debut and theyā€™ve fallen through. Sheā€™s 31 years old and 7-2 with 4 finishes. Fought exclusively in LFA in her first 7 fights, won one fight in Invicta last year then took a split decision win on DWCS in August. And thatā€™s led her to the Octagon. Horth is Canadian, 33 years old and unbeatenĀ at 5-0, all finishes. Thatā€™s that. Havenā€™t seen either and donā€™t know the names theyā€™ve fought so going in completely blind.

Ā 

Thatā€™s me done.

20493A2B-41D4-4F23-BF1A-CE36FCD8BDCE.jpeg

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Sorry for the double post but this has got to be a fucking record. Posted the thread 17 bastard minutes ago. Looking at the time, it was off before I even hit sendĀ šŸ˜‚

Ā 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, Kfogg1991 said:

This is yet another extremely weak card overall,Ā  I'll watch bits tomorrow but they are in a lull period right nowĀ 

Yeah this time of year the Fight Nights do generally be a bit shite. Theyā€™re loading up the summer cards so thatā€™ll be why you get some lean looking shows around April/May time. Itā€™ll pick up. Apex cards are what they are though. If you get a good one itā€™s a bonus but donā€™t expect much.

Iā€™ve finally got around to updating the opening post with what is hopefully the final bout order and a couple of fight changes. Nothing earth shattering but Trey Waters as a late replacement sounds interesting. A 6ā€™5ā€ Welter who just won the LFA belt a couple of weeks ago. Hopefully no more changes or eleventh hour drop outs. Hereā€™s the card graphic and start times.Ā 

7-E4-F7-B41-69-C6-460-C-A7-F4-8-D6500-EA

5378-F458-5-EC3-40-C3-A958-C96-E85677-B7

Oh and Irina Alekseeva missed weight by 4 fucking lbs for her debut. Hell of a first impression that. She looks heartbroken about it as well.Ā 

7163BB8E-667E-4CD3-A434-622CF35352CF.gif

• Paid Members

No-one gave a single fuck about this did they? šŸ˜‚ I mean I watch everything and even I only watched the main event and caught bits of the rest. The fact only 3 of us even bothered voting in the poll speaks volumes.

Speaking of the poll, I was the lone voter who picked Ricky Simon to win. How did that work out?

image.gif.fbde23736d3bc922a3e8fb0c8eea585e.gif

Song Yadong looked really good, in fairness. Strong way to bounce back from the Sandhagen loss. I thought this was gonna be a mega competitive fight but it wasnā€™t really. Song looked a step ahead throughout to me and that left hand was money for him all night. Still not convinced he goes much higher than this but heā€™ll have the odd bright spot and heā€™s an entertaining fighter to watch so heā€™s always a guy you can throw in the mix.

My immediate thought for what I wanna see next is Song vs Chito 2 and Sandhagen vs Oā€™Malley. Both proper bangers. And maybe Yan vs Font or something. I wanted Chito or Yan vs Figgy but apparently Figā€™s staying at Flyweight now for some reason. Chito vs Yan would work as well. As always, so many options at 135 itā€™s ridiculous.Ā 

Like I said, I skimmed over the rest. Had other stuff going on and even though itā€™s a bank holiday weekend and I had more than enough time to properly catch up and watch everything, frankly, I just couldnā€™t be arsed.Ā 

The two Heavyweight fights looked as exciting as they sounded going in. Caio Borralho looked good from what I saw of the co-main. Oh and I did see that the ā€˜Russian Rondaā€™ Irina Alekseeva got the quick submission win in her debut. Nice intro to the Octagon for her. This shiteā€™s got to stop thoughā€¦

image.gif.153dd185c844cdc6e9801660120e4f74.gif

Fucking cringed watching that. Especially after she badly missed weight going in as well. Kind of interested to see what she can do, and fuck me the Bantamweight division needs all the help and fresh blood it can get, but hopefully she gets the weight cut sorted going forward. We just got rid of Aspen Ladd. We donā€™t need another one.Ā 

• Paid Members

I actually watched all of this.

Song looked great. Just physically on anoter level to Ricky Simon. I had expect Simon to perhaps outwork Song over the course of 5 rounds but Song shrugged any attempt of a takedown off like it was nothing and his striking looked as sharp in round 5 as it was in round 1. Song my be a problem at 135, still super young too.

Ā 

I watched only the main card and it took me most of Sunday to watch it. I kept losing interest, pausing it and then coming back to it over and over.

Song looked great, as Wand said, that is pretty much his ceiling but he will always be great value for money and a fun addition to any card. His english has massively improved too!