The General Politics Thread v2.0 (AKA the "Labour are Cunts" thread)

David

• Paid Members
45 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I think he's possibly the most spineless person in politics today.

I think he's in good company to be honest but the point taken, he might well be spineless, but I think he's also very wary of outright telling Israel what to do considering he took over a party in the middle of an antisemitism scandal and has worked at making people forget it. He knows that if he comes out in any way appearing to be against Israel, the opposition and the papers will twist it completely. I'm not convinced a Labour civil war is a better look, but I guess that's the chance he's taking.

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

I think he's in good company to be honest but the point taken, he might well be spineless, but I think he's also very wary of outright telling Israel what to do considering he took over a party in the middle of an antisemitism scandal and has worked at making people forget it. He knows that if he comes out in any way appearing to be against Israel, the opposition and the papers will twist it completely. I'm not convinced a Labour civil war is a better look, but I guess that's the chance he's taking.

I have said it before that it's a game and you have to play to win. Corbyn's Labour was rejected and Kier Starmer is doing all the plays that will get him a possible victory. And that means having to step in line to keep the press off him. I have not enjoyed his run as leader as much as I expected because he has been far to centre in my opinion. But he is also keeping the Tory rags off his back and by keeping things neutral he isn't heading for another election landslide defeat. I just hope if they do get in, he will start being more lefty, but it's not looking good for now.   

• Paid Members

It's almost like he thinks that in less than a year he'll be PM and will actually have to sit with other world leaders looking for solutions. I appreciate there's a big appetite for meaningless, gesture politics amongst the British electorate but it's pretty obvious that any careless words now will cause issue down the road (where they may actually matter). 

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, Dead Mike said:

It's almost like he thinks that in less than a year he'll be PM and will actually have to sit with other world leaders looking for solutions. 

The solution being Israel stops murdering children and bombing hospitals and schools? I can see why he'd take the middle ground now, sure.

• Members
12 minutes ago, Dead Mike said:

It's almost like he thinks that in less than a year he'll be PM and will actually have to sit with other world leaders looking for solutions.

Oh absolutely, I think we can all see that,  but can still have issue with what he says/does/acts.

Appreciate you're not saying we can't just to clarify.

I also know that all of the people that have stuck to his whip and have voted for the continued bombing of the Palestinian people, are clearly angling for a top cabinet role (looking at you Lammy)

• Paid Members
25 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

The solution being Israel stops murdering children and bombing hospitals and schools? I can see why he'd take the middle ground now, sure.

Do you actually think this vote was for a ceasefire? Like Hamas & Israel were watching Parliament TV waiting for instruction? It was a meaningless vote, mostly divided by semantics. The whole 'Labour rebellion' has largely disappeared from the news cycle already as there was no consequence to any of this.

Edited by Dead Mike

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Can I ask why so many prominent Labour MPs have quit or were sacked then?

Apparently to appease their constituents and stay on the 'gravy train'. Or because they believe its good PR whilst others disagree. Same as joining picket lines. It'll make no material difference to the cause but there's differing opinions on how it benefits them in the public eye. 

• Members
Just now, Dead Mike said:

Apparently to appease their constituents and stay on the 'gravy train'. Or because they believe its good PR whilst others disagree. Same as joining picket lines. It'll make no material difference to the cause but there's differing opinions on how it benefits them in the public eye. 

OK, that's the ones that quit sorted then and that's a POV I can see why people would take.

If it was a meaningless vote, why were they sacked?