UFC 286: Edwards vs Usman 3 - Mar 18 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

wandshogun09

Who wins?   

13 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

The London card did an £8 million gate. Double the previous highest UK gate. Edwards might not be the single factor driving that, but clearly having a UK Champion defend in his own country boosted business significantly. I fairly certain any London fight with Edwards headlining going forward does massive business.

Edwards/Masvidal would do an 8 million gate, but then so would Colby/Masvidal, or any half decent PPV main event. Personally I think the Leon factor is very small, it was the fact it was a UFC PPV. The fact that Curtis Blaydes/Aspinal did 4 million shows you how good the market is still here. 

• Paid Members

I was wondering if the UFC ever did a Birmingham event, and apparently they did, back in 2011. Reckon they'd do well if they ran a Leon-headlined event in the Second City? They could probably do a stadium event.

5 hours ago, Browser Brady said:

Colby beats Leon though doesn’t he ?

I actually don't think he does. I could see Edwards stopping him. While his supposedly-legendary gas tank could be an issue, I don't think his takedowns are any stronger or better than those of Usman, and Edwards wasn't troubled by those. 

I think the main differentiator in the fight could be on the feet. I don't think Colby's standup is as good as Usmans, I don't think he has anywhere near the power of Usman, or the chin of Usman either.

Unless Edwards comes in and makes the mistake of dismissing his punching power out of hand, like he did with Nate in the closing moments of that fight they had, I could see Edwards putting Covington to sleep, or getting the TKO finish.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Carbomb said:

I was wondering if the UFC ever did a Birmingham event, and apparently they did, back in 2011. Reckon they'd do well if they ran a Leon-headlined event in the Second City? They could probably do a stadium event.

They’ve been here twice. UFC 89 in October 2008 which was headlined by Michael Bisping vs Chris Leben and had the likes of Keith Jardine, Sokoudjou, Chris Lytle, Shane Carwin and the Octagon debuts of Dan Hardy and Jim Miller on the undercard. Then they came back in November 2011 with UFC 138 which had a Leben vs Mark Munoz main event and had Renan Barao vs Brad Pickett plus a Thiago Alves and Terry Etim on the undercard.

I think the main takeaway of this is that for Leon to finally bring the UFC back to Birmingham, he’s gonna have to be co-main event under a Chris Leben headliner. 

B2C5CA02-D761-4FB8-A6BE-E2755CD8C036.gif

• Paid Members

Colby now threatening Jon Anik for some reason. Absolute weapon.

He was on a milk carton for about a year after the Masvidal fight, he’s been back 5 minutes and I’m already pig sick of the sight and sound of this cunt. Genuinely wish he’d disappear down a well or something. I keep seeing his sad bastard fans going ‘he’s just promoting himself, it’s a gimmick, he’s trying to make money’. By going after a commentator and saying his kids are gonna grow up without a dad? Yeah, as Tony Schiavone once said, “that’ll put butts in seats”. I’m still waiting to see evidence of his master promo skills as well. He is a fucking rotten talker. The modern day Tito Ortiz. 

I really can’t stand Colby, he has proper go away heat. I don’t like Jones but I’m happy to watch his fights and hope someone beats him but with Colby I don’t even want to watch him get ko’d.

I don’t think he gives Edwards as much trouble as he would have a few years back. Edward looks to really have upped his game and I don’t think Colby offers any more of a threat than Usman. Then you factor in his lay off and age, I think Edwards stops him in a one sided fight. 

Edited by Bruce85

That's pretty rich coming from a guy who was crying about being attacked in the streets not that long ago.

Initially I could understand why he went full-on with his gimmick. He was a vanilla fighter, with a boring style and no personality. Even his haircut is boring. But he has absolutely no reason to keep the schtick up to that level now.

He should take a leaf out of Chael Sonnen's book. He came on strong to get his notoriety, then once he was established he dialled that shit way back, and actually flipped from being the borderline racist who insulted Brazilians, to being a beloved character who people actually rooted for.

Then again, maybe Sonnen has a likability that Covington simply doesn't have. I've met Covington and in person he's the coolest dude. Which is what makes it worse, because if he slowly dialled his shit back he could easily become someone the fans don't hate as much.

Apologies for double posting, but seeing the spammer who posted the Colby Covington conspiracy thread, it reminded me of something I heard on the MMA Fighting podcast.

Apparently, the reason Covington is being pushed so heavily by Dana is because he was basically promised top billing on a PPV and a UFC title fight in exchange for not proceeding with the charges against Masvidal. How much truth there is to that I don't know, but it is suspicious that he was gone for over a year then suddenly pops back up just as the UFC have announced a Masvidal fight despite him supposedly being at risk of jail time.

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, Bruce85 said:

but with Colby I don’t even want to watch him get ko’d.

Oh I could always watch that ☺️ but it doesn’t seem worth having to have him around and put up with him to get to that point. I just want rid of him. X-Pac heat. Never mind him using Kurt Angle’s entrance music, the dickhead should be coming out to Uncle Kracker.

As for Leon vs Colby, I’m pretty much with you guys in that I’d have most likely picked Colby if the fight had happened a year or two ago. But after Leon’s wins over Usman, I think Leon wins now. Maybe he always would’ve. Like I said, Colby’s resume consists almost entirely of older names on the decline. I just don’t see what Colby can do to Edwards that Usman couldn’t do. I think he’d bring about the same wrestling threat as Usman but he wouldn’t offer anywhere near the same danger in the striking. The only thing he has that’s different that could maybe cause Leon some headaches is the volume. Colby obviously lacks the raw punching power that Usman possesses but he throws so many punches he can nick rounds just on being the busier man. It’s not like his striking is even very good or particularly technical, but because he just keeps constantly tapping away at you and is in good enough cardio shape to keep it up over 25 minutes, he’ll win fights just on sheer persistence and being annoying and more active. But even then, we’re basing his skills largely off performances against guys who were on the slide and pushing 40. I still think he could have success doing that, he did win rounds of Usman the same way, but I’m not sure it works as well against a striker like Edwards. Whereas Usman had the sting in his punches to actually back Leon up, I don’t think Colby’s pitter patter flurries will earn the same respect.

Edwards vs Covington is a fight that’s got ‘5 round decision’ written all over it but I really, really, fucking really hope Leon has another “bang, headshot, dead” left in him. 

I'm sorry but no this is the first time I'm saying Colby has overstepped the line and jumped from his fucking bullshit gimmick he had adopted into a territory that is unacceptable/unprofessional and in any other case and line of work would result in instant dismissal.

He just threatened the life of not only another college but a fucking college that isn't a fighter. 

If this was any other industry or company that would be the outcome however we all fucking know that won't be the case and he will once again get away with it but genuinely this is the first time even I'll say this is unacceptable