TNA… Cross the Line again

garynysmon

• Paid Members

If I was going to start watching wrestling again I'd probably just be watching Impact. It is an easy watch. I stopped watching because when Josh won the title last year it was such an emotional moment to me and kind of burned me out. 

• Paid Members

They've had their fun now but basically the wrestling world in general needs to drop its tired anti-TNA gimmick now because this is an excellent product that deserves more eyeballs and respect. Hard to Kill was another really good show.

A solid show with a decent attendance and hot crowd at Center Stage, I'd suggest it as a great starting point to anyone wanting to give Impact a chance.

Have written a mini review but the spoiler tags don't seem to be working so will save it for now!

Edited by garynysmon

Impact wins again! I’ve ruined Thursday for myself by seeing the spoilers. But everyone must watch. And then say exactly why Impact the best fucking promotion on earth.

Josh Alexander, MCMG, the 2nd best womens division, Mike Bailey, (say his name) Joe Hendry, Mike Jackson, JOHNNY FUCKIN SWINGER, PCO, Santino, cameos based on whichever town they are in, Steve Maclin (who to be fair is superb)…

impact I love you so much

Edited by Butch2000

• Paid Members

Hard to Kill...

Was a little surprised that two of the potentially best matches were on the pre-show and also questioned starting with the match that received the biggest build, but I suppose it all made sense given the ending. Kushida is always great to see, as is Mike Jackson.

Black Taurus was really impressive in his match with Trey Miguel, the latter needed a heel turn though as there are too many babyface X-division guys atm. Nice touch opening the PPV with the whole roster coming out for a ten bell salute for Don West too.

Bully Ray has been receiving some stick from people who never watch the show, well mainly Impact for using him in a main event feud, but no one plays the role of a genuine cunt like he does these days. I was expecting a short run but I'd be happy to see him stick around, he'd be an asset for sure.

Not sure that Josh Alexander needs to be taking bumps like he did off the ladder onto drawing pins and I groaned when Tommy Dreamer came out, but it didn't overshadow the match nor story to the degree that I feared. Real hard hitting stuff, a hardcore brawl, but the right guy went over. (How good is the commentary team btw?)

The tag title match was never going to follow that up but a fun little scramble, glad the MCMG retained though. There are plenty of great straight tag matches that can go ahead on the back of that too. 

Kazarian is back home. YESSS!!

Both Moose and Joe Hendry are among my favourite acts in wrestling today and loved their feud leading up to this. Enjoyable little match and Santino Marella as a temporary authority figure.... well I don't hate it.

More decent spots in the women's four way and it looks like Masha Slamovich v Mickey James at the next PPV. Should be good.

Street fights aren'y my type of matches and I switched off a bit for the next one but glad glad that Maclin went over. He's a genuine star.

Was surprised to see Gresham lose in his hometown but I reckon its as much to do, given recent events, with proving that he's willing to do business. Eddie Edwards has always been solid but a bit meh to me.

The main event was the big one. Loved Mickie James' Native American entrance and having her family out there made you think she was retiring. But I'm glad she's not, she can clearly still go and enjoys what she's doing. Real feel good stuff.

Let her take the title and defend in wherever she wants. Everyone likes Mickie James, let her spread the Impact gospel.

More full decent sized venues like this please Impact, makes such a difference imo. This week's TV should look and sound just as good.

Edited by garynysmon

The Full Metal Mayhem match is something that - on paper - you could frame as being an absolute clusterfuck that represents the worst of wrestling, but honestly I think it's probably the best hardcore presentation on PPV since Foley/Edge at WrestleMania 22. I know other matches since then have had bigger spots, cleaner booking, bigger stakes, bigger stars...but in terms of just pure popcorn mayhem put on by a non hardcore specific promotion it was an absolute banger. Just so much fun. 

Nothing too depraved looking but at the same time, no overly produced Cris Angel pratfall into gimmicked floors and structures shite. Just two blokes battering each other around. 

• Paid Members

Spoiler

coolcat.gif.ce4f614461a9d0f153e5b3921a7e2658.gif

Getting an excited all caps PM from Butch about it at 3am on a Tuesday is why this is the best wrestling forum out there!

Still The Greatest, in general anyway, but especially as an authority figure. "If you can't get along, let's get it on!" is a beautiful line. Get him on full time! He was born for this role, always has been...

Always will be.

Imagine if this happened live during the Chattitude Era? Our whole lives would have been an audition for that moment.

• Paid Members

I never watch Impact but gave Hard To Kill a go based on @garynysmon's excellent post above. I found it pretty decent but wouldn't say it hooked me in to watch next week. First time seeing Josh Alexander who is very good. The spot where he went to dive off a ladder onto Bully but Bully tipped him backwards into the ring into thumbtacks was the most brilliant spot I've seen in ages. Alexander's wife hitting Spike's finisher was hilarious. The commentary is very good. Overall though the show feels quite low budget which couldn't help putting me off a bit. 

When you look at that roster - Bully Ray, Rhyno, Alex Shelley, Kazarian, Johnny Swinger, Tommy Dreamer, it's like the last 15 years never happened.  I expect Jeff Hardy will pop up there soon enough.

Edited by Loki

• Paid Members

That's a bit unfair surely? You could cherry pick any roster and say the same. Johnny Swinger is a comedy act jobber, Tommy Dreamer a very occasional wrestler, and the MCMG can still go with anyone. (Rhyno's shite these days though, I'll give you that).

AEW: Billy Gunn, Chris Jericho, Christian Cage, Christopher Daniels, Dustin Rhodes, Jeff Jarrett, Jay Lethal, the Hardys, Samoa Joe, Sting.

WWE: AJ Styles, Bobby Lashley, Brock Lesnar, Edge, Randy Orton, R-Truth, Rey Mysterio, Bobby Roode, Shelton Benjamin.

1 hour ago, LaGoosh said:

The commentary is very good. Overall though the show feels quite low budget which couldn't help putting me off a bit. 

The production is what lets it down. The number of times I read online "There were 50 people in the crowd" when you know for a fact that's far from being the case.

I'm not expecting an AEW level production budget, but when you have a crowd in then show it! No need to have the hard cam facing the rampway when you've sold out Center Stage which is a 1,000 seater venue!

Screenshot 2023-01-23 at 18.20.38.png