Pete's 2023 Breaking Death News Thread

Gus Mears

• Paid Members

An integral part of Saturday afternoons as a child. It didn't matter if it was speedway from Belle Vue, horse racing from Sandown or wrestling from Croydon, they were all introduced with that same demeanour of a man who was a master of his craft. Never a hair out of place and a broadcasting legend. RIP DD. 

• Paid Members

Leiji Matsumoto, who created such manga and anime as Space Battleship Yamato, and Otoko Oidon, and who also worked with Daft Punk on Interstellar 5555 has passed away at the age of 85.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-64703518

• Awards Moderator
14 hours ago, Big'Olympic_Hero'Pete said:

One for the older members of the forum. Dickie Davies of WoS fame has died 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-64700358

That’d already been posted on the previous page! You’re slipping, RIPete.

• Paid Members

The grim reaper seems to be focusing on the sports voices of the 70s onwards at the moment. We talk of golden generations of footballers, Motson was one of the leading lights of a golden generation of sports broadcasters. John Motson, Barry Davies, Richie Benaud, David Coleman, Harry Carpenter, Dickie Davies, and Des Lynam. I'm sure there are others I have missed but they are just off the top of my head.

Motson was what a commentator should be, informative without been tedious, and he sounded like a fan of the game not someone trying hard to justify their paycheck. 

RIP Motty. 

Shared this before but this is a great read, interview with both Barry Davies (OH I SAY!) and John Motson.

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/john-motson-barry-davies-interview-podcast-commentary-rivalry-motd-world-cup-euro-96

From what I've read and listened to over the years, Motson felt slightly embarrassed that he would "win" so many big gigs, but Davies makes a bloody excellent point as to why he did, as does Lion in the post above. Accessibility. 

A lot of the Motson backlash came from the fact that he was everywhere (with reason, he was the main BBC commentator) and it came at a time when we were all getting a bit 'cool and snarky' and he seemed a bit fuddy duddy, which with his glasses and coat, he may very well have done.

I'd listen to a million hours of Motty over a minute of modern commentators. Looking at you Matterface.

A legend.

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

A lot of the Motson backlash came from the fact that he was everywhere (with reason, he was the main BBC commentator) and it came at a time when we were all getting a bit 'cool and snarky' and he seemed a bit fuddy duddy, which with his glasses and coat, he may very well have done.

That, and he'd become lionised and hailed as a legend well before he'd retired, which always raises heckles and causes some people to highlight his flaws, which he did have. I've always loved him, faults and all