UFC 284: Makhachev vs Volkanovski - Feb 11 ๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡บ

wandshogun09

Who wins?   

10 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

I'd imagine he's going to be cutting something, Volkanovski probably starts cutting to 145lb from over 155lb, it'll just probably be a lot easier for him.ย 

I don't fancy Islam to get much done on the feet, I think how this plays out depends on whether or Makhachev can drag this to the ground and keep it there. Anything outside of that happening and I think Volkanovski wins, I can't wait to see how Volk approaches it, he's one of the best game planners in the sport, it's going to be edge of your seat stuff.

Edited by Egg Shen

2 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

I'd imagine he's going to be cutting something, Volkanovski probably starts cutting to 145lb from over 155lb, it'll just probably be a lot easier for him.ย 

I don't fancy Islam to get much done on the feet, I think how this plays out depends on whether or Makhachev can drag this to the ground and keep it there. Anything outside of that happening and I think Volkanovski wins, I can't wait to see how Volk approaches it, he's one of the best game planners in the sport, it's going to be edge of your seat stuff.

I agree this has potential fight of the year over it for meย 

• Paid Members
On 2/9/2023 at 7:32 PM, Dai said:

Not so sure. In his seven fights against the top tier guys in the UFC, hes TKO'd in two of them. Hes fighting a guy who hasnt lost since 2015, and hes going up in weight. 8/1 doesnt seem enough for me.

if you fancy dropping a cheeky nugget on this, an all Aussie clean sweep is about 450/1ย ๐Ÿ˜„ย 10-fold, 8 are favorites. Gotta be worth a pop in front of that crowd.

• Paid Members

A lot being made on Twitter of how bad Josh Emmett looked post-weigh in, man looks like he went through hell to make the weight:

FopgezBXgAEWqBG.thumb.jpg.2b1cecbec75f82acde7c9faf3252f1c2.jpg

The MMA Guru put up a video covering it and state of Jack Della Maddalena looking like shit too after the weigh-in.

ย 

ย 

Very interesting fight, Volk can wrestle and Islam can strike! Really good fight, the right man won but I think it was close.ย 

Havenโ€™t really been a fan of Islam but he won me over with a really good fight and his post fight interview. Would like to see a rematch but think it would be best for them to both defend the belts and not do an imitate one.ย 

Also Jack Della Maddalena looked fantastic again!ย 
ย 

ย 

ย 

Lots of people crying "robbery" online but even as a big Volk fan, I think it was a really close fight that he lost. Dropped the first two rounds, but still shocked a lot of people with his grappling defence, edged R3, got backpacked R4, and had a really strong R5. It sucks that positional dominance overcomes everything else, as Alex spent the entirety of R4 punching Islam as Islam had his back, but we know how the scoring works.

So massive credit to Volkanovski for giving Islam the toughest fight of his career, especially right after Islam smashed Oliveira, but I gotta give credit to Makhachev too. He had better striking than I ever could have anticipated, good timing with counters and he stunned Volk on a few occasions. Just as high level a fight as one could expect when P4P #1 and #2 face off.

The rest of the card was great too. Yair was very impressive and makes an exciting next fight with Volk for the featherweight strap. Jack Dell Maddalena has a VERY bright future.

The only real disappointment I saw was Tyson Pedro. Either the guy was gassed after R1 or he just didn't want to be there. Very deflating performance.

• Paid Members

Rugby league confirmed best base for MMA.ย 

Might be one of the best making the most of a loss performances ever. What an incredibly competitive fight it was. Scored it 3 rounds for Islam in the end but Volk matched him all the way and the defensive grappling really was crazy impressive. The ending and the electric crowd just magnified it so much. Islam looking drained and visibly Haunted on bottom was a real eye opener. We don't deserve Alex Volkanovski. I hope the Yair fight is huge. This man deserves it.ย 

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Shane O' Mac Version 2 said:

It sucks that positional dominance overcomes everything else, as Alex spent the entirety of R4 punching Islam as Islam had his back, but we know how the scoring works.

ย 

Not anymore. The new scoring criteria places most of the emphasis on damage, I did start to wonder during round 4 if Volks striking would win him the round. For me, you had to score that round for Islam, but there's been some weird shit happening on the cards recently, you never know whats gonna happen.

I scored the fight 48-47 Volk. gave him 1, 3 & 5. 1 and 3 could probably be up for debate though, but regardless it was a great fight. Think MMA needed that with all the bullshit going on recently.

• Moderators

Great night of fights, first time in ages I watched literally every fight from early prelims to main. I thought Volk was impressive, but I had Islam taking 3 of the rounds going into the 5th and didn't feel like Volk was going to be able to finish him. One of those fights that felt very much like if it was 10 round then Volk would've won. In retrospect I think if Volk had been a bit more aggressive in the rounds one and two he may have pulled this off, felt like he was (rightly) giving a lot of respect.