Devon Malcolm

2 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Should start a Jon Poxley thread. Or Dean Ambores.

Get that one up and I can start my Boring Danielson thread about that insincere prick and how he will never be as success as The Miz 

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Should start a Jon Poxley thread. Or Dean Ambores.

I'd suggest a People Who Don't Watch Wrestling Anymore Complaining About Wrestling thread might be good fun reading but I know how mega-threads are viewed on here these days...

But back on the subject of Chris Jericho, if you ever want to torture yourself, listen to his recent podcast about The Holocaust. His guest is a 20 year old film student (who he's probably trying to shag) who made a short film about Auschwitz and he basically asks her about the holocaust and the rise of Nazi Germany. Firstly his guest is clearly no expert on the matter and rambles the whole time and Jericho just comes across as the dumbest, most ignorant twat ever who doesn't even know the most basic facts about World War 2 that literally everybody knows. Genuinely one of the worst things I've ever heard, and I've listened to Fozzy.

Edited by LaGoosh

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

I'd suggest a People Who Don't Watch Wrestling Anymore Complaining About Wrestling thread might be good fun reading but I know how mega-threads are viewed on here these days...

I don't think that would be a megathread though, surely such people don't exist and if they do they must be real tosspots!

10 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

But back on the subject of Chris Jericho, if you ever want to torture yourself, listen to his recent podcast about The Holocaust. His guest is a 20 year old film student (who he's probably trying to shag) who made a short film about Auschwitz and he basically asks her about the holocaust and the rise of Nazi Germany. Firstly his guest is clearly no expert on the matter and rambles the whole time and Jericho just comes across as the dumbest, most ignorant twat ever who doesn't even know the most basic facts about World War 2 that literally everybody knows. Genuinely one of the worst things I've ever heard, and I've listened to Fozzy.

Was it Hannah Taylor? I read about this on Twitter. Isn't she a wrestler as well? 

2 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

He's only ever been good in two short periods - when the Shield started and that feud with William Regal in FCW. Otherwise he's a one trick pony with piss weaker offence than Booker T. He's fucking shit.

He looks like he’s one for the “Wrestlers that look like they fucking reek” list. Actually, maybe that’s why that AEW owner bloke is always at his nose, rubbing it and twitching all the time. Or there could be another reason I suppose. 

His books did it for me. The first is genuinely fun, and there's stuff about his Mother in there that I found sad, but it's a great read still. 

That 2nd book. SHIT ME, he just comes across as goofy drunk tosser to be around. He seems to have matured into a bigger arsehole the less his brain thinks. 

The best tweet I saw last year was a brilliant line saying 'The last labor of Jericho should be him reading his missus twitter on live tv'. 

• Paid Members

If we take it as read that Jericho as a person is a complete idiot, I think a fair assessment of him as a performer is to say that I go in waves with him. When he’s good he’s great - sometimes even brilliant - but when he’s bad he’s fucking intolerable. There was a solid six months last year after the MJF feud where he was one of the worst babyfaces I’ve ever seen and it went on forever.

I’ll never forgive him for the amount of episodes of Rampage he tanked by shouting over Ricky Starks and Taz. Two genuinely funny guys, with amazing chemistry, absolutely nailing it as colour commentators and Jericho’s ruining everything doing his shitty, “OH YEAH! THIS IS ENTERTAINMENT!” stuff.

Also, for as much credit as he does deserve for longevity and reinvention, this current form has got to be his laziest yet. He’s better than Cody in that he at least admitted things weren’t  working and he needed to turn heel, but beyond that? He’s mostly just leeched off other people’s momentum. Anyone with any sense for this business could hitch their wagon to Eddie Kingston and Daddy Magic and make a successful run out of it. Those lads are guaranteed gold.

Of everything he’s put out the past five to ten years, the absolute best stuff has been those handful of Talk is Jericho episodes where he and his guests have done a deep dive into an angle or a match they set up. Whether it was Omega talking about their Tokyo Dome match or the Inner Circle lads dissecting  Stadium Stampede, there’s a huge gap in the market for more stuff like that. Like directors commentary for wrestling, focussing on specific matches or angles rather than just, “what are your memories of ECW?”

Speaking of podcasts, I can’t remember exactly when it was, but Jericho did a podcast with Meltzer at some point where there was a perfect moment. Big Dave, completely oblivious to how it could be insulting to Jericho, talking about what a shame it was that AEW didn’t have someone with a big enough name to really make a splash, like WCW did with Hogan. Beautiful. You could hear Jericho’s heart breaking. I’ll have to seek out the clip of Jesse Ventura slagging off the capital rioters. I bet it’s the exact same awkward silence.

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Supremo said:

I’ll have to seek out the clip of Jesse Ventura slagging off the capital rioters. I bet it’s the exact same awkward silence.

He didn't really get a chance to say anything because, well, you know what Ventura's like when he gets going. But he does shoehorn in the odd sad sounding "Sure" and "Yeah" when Ventura takes a breath. It was great.

The Ventura interview was fascinating in a way, because Jericho just seemed to be completely out of his depth the whole time.

Obviously things are a little different from when Ventura was Governor, but even after he went and lived off grid for a while, he seems to be more tuned in to what’s going on politically than Jericho does, who sounds like he gets his news off the bag of a fag packet. There are multiple points, not just the Jan 6th clip that made the rounds, were Ventura would make a point and Jericho just had nothing in a way of response. I can just picture his face looking like a dog that’s been shown a card trick

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members

Unless it’s pro-wrestling, Jericho usually feels out of his depth. He’s always felt like someone that’s travelled everywhere, yet learnt nothing. Remember that UK tour where all his selfies suggested he did nothing but find the local Wetherspoons?

In terms of politics, I think it’s clear Jericho gets all his news second hand from his wife, and the best description I’ve ever seen of her and her social media is, “her blood type is Fox News.”

1 hour ago, Supremo said:

a fair assessment of him as a performer is to say that I go in waves with him

I think is me too - his constant reinventions mean that he happens upon something good, then ruins it and is shit for a while, goes away, comes back and has something good again.  He's probably been in AEW too long now.

Watching Dynamite can be an odd experience when you see Jericho, Matt Hardy, Christian all out there pretending it's still 1999.  Christian is still passable, but sadly Jericho is rapidly entering the "please no" category along with Matt.  In some respects he reminds me of Terry Funk but at least Funk still put on a fun brawl, and he was never exactly athletic in the first place.  Funk was so important to ECW that he carried on, and went back to WWE long after he should have hung them up.  Jericho was very important to AEW at the start but they have their own stars now.  Him being in the main feud for the title feels like a step backwards.

I enjoyed his first book a lot but I'm guessing it was heavily ghost-written, or the concussions have mounted up - as like Foley he seems considerably less than he was.

The reason I don’t think of Jericho as being among the all-time greats is because in all aspects of wrestling he was good but never among the very BEST at anything.

Good technical wrestler, good high flyer, good promo work, good look, good at ladder matches, good at cage matches … I wouldn’t put him in the all-time Top 10 at any of those things.

Re Jericho sounding “stupid” on his pods, I quite enjoy when he acts out his depth on things he’s discussed with knowledge before as he’s playing he role of the audience than the expert. A lost art in interviewing in the age of everyone wanting to sound like the smartest voice in the Room 

2 hours ago, Supremo said:

Unless it’s pro-wrestling, Jericho usually feels out of his depth. He’s always felt like someone that’s travelled everywhere, yet learnt nothing. Remember that UK tour where all his selfies suggested he did nothing but find the local Wetherspoons?

In terms of politics, I think it’s clear Jericho gets all his news second hand from his wife, and the best description I’ve ever seen of her and her social media is, “her blood type is Fox News.”

THE JERICHO TRIANGLE OF WETHERSPOONS. 

8 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

Can't say I enjoyed him in his post Shield WWE run though where he was acting like a muppet, had shit hair and his arms got so skinny they looked they were going to fall off.

Even in amongst that there was some good stuff. He remained popular enough that they had Roman rub up against him as often as possible to try and get the boos off him. And that run he had opposite Triple H culminating in the title match at that weird Roadblock event was great. Enough so that they canned Wyatt and put Dean opposite Brock bleedin' Lesnar at Mania (which obviously didn't work out, like).

Edited by Pinc