UFC 278: Usman vs Edwards 2 - Aug 20 🇺🇸

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

12 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, Carbomb said:

Do you mean title defences only? Because DJ was on a 13-fight streak when Cejudo got him. And 14 fights undefeated.

EDIT: Bloody hell, how could I forget Jon Jones? 17-fight undefeated streak, 13 wins before the NC with Cormier. Also, Nunes was on a 12-win streak before the loss to Pena.

Nah, i mean how many UFC fights they had to win in a row before getting the shot and lifting the belt. Basically highlighting how Leon had the longest and arguably hardest run to a title ever.

Jones was on fight 4. Johnson was 2. Nunes was 3.

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Oliveira was close, he won 8 fights before the title fight with Chandler.

Here’s a cool clip of Leon’s coaches planning for the headkick before the fight.

There are always twats crying fluke when a knockout like this happens, especially when it’s the underdog landing it and it’s not the result that was ‘supposed’ to happen. Crazy to think that professional fighters and coaches at the highest levels actually prepare and do homework and watch tape etc. Very rarely do these things happen by accident. He’d have been looking for that opening the whole fight, it just so happened it came in the last minute. 

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, Carbomb said:

Possibly. I don't think there'll be as much doubt as there would be for an undefeated prospect, though - Usman's lost once before, and he went on a long undefeated streak following it, so he's obviously got the mental fortitude, and the experience of losing

7 hours ago, Carbomb said:

He has no more physical development left, sure, but one thing that gets frequently brought up is how older fighters evolve in terms of mental approach, tactics, and strategy, to compensate for them losing a step here and there against younger fighters. Usman must be a fairly canny veteran by now - I wouldn't be surprised if he adapted his game even at this stage. We've (sort of) seen it with Andrei Arlovski - whilst he's not going to be winning any titles, he's still winning matches at 43, long past the point anyone expected him to, because he changed things up.

I agree with you that Usman certainly can develop in aspects, as he'll have the know how and the grit and determination to do so. Whether that makes him better or just different, is a different story. He's far enough ahead of the game that even if he can't win the title back, he's been great enough that even a diminished Kamaru Usman can knock off contenders in the division. 

This isn't coming from an Usman doubter either or someone leaving the bandwagon. He's as good as there is, and despite Saturday's result, I think he's the better fighter by a distance than Leon. He lost though and Leon won and it was no fluke. Sport just goes like that sometimes I guess. However every result changes the course of what follows and a headlock KO loss for Usman probably means a third fight looks different that it would have if the result was a decision win for either party. 

What I think will be worth watching is should Khamzat paste Nate Diaz like most of us probably expect, do they go straight to Chimaev and Edwards, while Usman takes some recovery time?

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, WeeAl said:

What I think will be worth watching is should Khamzat paste Nate Diaz like most of us probably expect, do they go straight to Chimaev and Edwards, while Usman takes some recovery time?

I think there's a strong possibility of that happening. Especially if Chimaev walks through Diaz.

What about if Diaz somehow pulls it off against Khamzat? I'd imagine the UFC will move heaven and earth to set up Edwards/Diaz II for the belt.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

I think there's a strong possibility of that happening. Especially if Chimaev walks through Diaz.

What about if Diaz somehow pulls it off against Khamzat? I'd imagine the UFC will move heaven and earth to set up Edwards/Diaz II for the belt.

Maybe that's why Nate took this fight in the end. He knows if he beats Chimaev, on the last fight of his deal, he's laughing all the way to the bank. He either exits the company in a great position beating one of their top hopes and can demand more money away from the UFC. Or he decides to stay because Dana has had to offer him a substantial enough pay rise to get the extra value that Nate will have created for himself. What a spot to be in. He's still going to get the Welly from Chimaev, but I'm sure Nate doesn't think that. 

• Paid Members
24 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

Yeah I touched on that in the 279 opening post. Dana’s already mentioned that as a possibility. Although I don’t think for a second it’s a scenario he expects to have to actually deal with, he’s clearly expecting Chimaev to crush Nate and rightly so really. If Nate did somehow pull it off though, Edwards vs Diaz 2 is certainly easier to spin than Usman vs Diaz would’ve been. Just because of ‘that punch’. Masvidal’s angling for the fight as well. As expected. I love the way the tide has turned in that whole saga. Almost everyone was on Masvidal’s side after he sucker punched Leon that time, acting like it was a legit win or something, or actually proved anything. Now he’s begging and Leon’s throwing out little ‘I think he should go and win a fight’ digs. Love it. 

As for Khamzat, it’s obviously an option and not one I think anyone would complain about. We’ve been all set to see Edwards vs Chimaev three times now and the fight’s never materialised. Them finally meeting and it being for UFC gold would be a cool twist. It’s a fight I was interested in when they first tried to make it and I’d be even more interested in it now. But I think Chimaev might have to wait now. If Usman had beat Leon again on Saturday I’d say Chimaev would’ve been a lock for the next title shot after he most likely smushes Nate in a few weeks. But with how this has played out, if Usman wants back in there next then I think they’ll definitely go that route. And as much as I’m not a fan of constant/immediate rematches, for the run Usman’s been on and the way the fight was going before the KO, I think he’s earned it.

So yeah, Edwards vs Usman 3 is clearly the first choice. And in the UK by the sounds of it. Dana’s even saying now that, although they had no plans to come to the UK again this year, they’re already shuffling the schedule and have actually scratched plans to go to a certain place (he didn’t say where) this year in favour of bringing Edwards’ first title defence over here. Of course, it doesn’t have to be against Usman. And Edwards vs Chimaev in London or Birmingham would be ace too. But it’s definitely looking like the wheels are already about to be put in motion towards doing the Usman trilogy decider over here. Only thing that could scupper that is if Usman changes his mind and wants more time or gets injured. But I can’t see Usman not wanting the rematch and the first crack at Edwards. He seems excited about it already and down to come to the UK for it. 

Edited by wandshogun09

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Sorry to bump but just seen this clip of Usman talking about the loss and knockout on Rogan’s podcast;

I honestly can’t recall a case of another top level fighter, and especially a champion, taking such a brutal loss like that in his stride. There have been fighters who’ve taken a loss well but sometimes it really feels like they’re just putting a brave face on. Usman genuinely seems to be mentally unbreakable when it comes to this shit though. Obviously remains to be seen if it effects him in the third fight, it’s one thing being unbothered talking about it on podcasts and I genuinely think he’s at ease with it. But when he gets in there again, who knows? But his response to the loss has been really refreshing, especially when you compare it to some guys who are full of bitterness and excuses after a loss. It’s weird but I actually think he’ll gain more fans from this.