UFC London: Blaydes vs Aspinall - Jul 23 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

7 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members
49 minutes ago, David said:

On top of that, he's way more skilled in the actual cage. 

image.gif.83f8365a2cc4849c048929a6b74bd2c6.gif

You nearly had me. Nearly. But you’ve got to be trolling with this shit. He’s more skilled on the ground yeah. His striking is sloppy as fuck and he’s only got away with it so far because they’ve been lobbing him soft opponents. Who’ve still rocked him. If Conor was matched up the way Paddy has been, he probably could’ve submitted a couple of nobodies early in his UFC run and fooled some people he had slick BJJ. Surely level of opposition is a major factor here. You were quick enough to crap on the Khamzat Chimaev hype, saying he hadn’t beat anyone of note before the Burns win. And even he beat Gerald Meerschaert who’s a way better win than anyone Paddy’s beat so far. I can only imagine what you’d have said if someone came in here after Chimaev sparked Meerschaert saying he’s ‘way more skilled than Usman’. When Paddy starts beating the equivalent of Aldo, Diaz, Poirier, Holloway and Alvarez I’ll readily admit I was wrong. But we’re really gonna say someone is way more skilled than Conor McGregor based on wins over Vendramini, Vargas and Leavitt?

The star thing hinges on him continuing to win as well. To a point. I don’t deny he’s got a big following. He’s popular enough now that he’ll always be an attraction to some degree whatever happens from here. But a ‘star’ to the level people are talking? Selling out huge stadiums and headlining PPVs and all that shite? That’s gonna fizzle out after a bit if he starts getting chinned or keeps only fighting gimmes. Do people think he’s gonna headline a PPV against someone like Fares Ziam or Brandon Jenkins? Because that’s the kind of level he’s operating on currently.

30 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

You nearly had me. Nearly. But you’ve got to be trolling with this shit. He’s more skilled on the ground yeah. His striking is sloppy as fuck and he’s only got away with it so far because they’ve been lobbing him soft opponents. Who’ve still rocked him. If Conor was matched up the way Paddy has been, he probably could’ve submitted a couple of nobodies early in his UFC run and fooled some people he had slick BJJ.

Nope, I think Paddy is way more well-rounded and more skilled in general. McGregor is a great striker, but he lacks in so many other areas. On the ground he's the drizzling shits, or at least he was when he first came onto the UFC scene. His defensive stuff has improved marginally. And his gas tank? The guys breathing out his arse after a few minutes of grappling.

Paddy's record suggests exactly what I've said. 19 wins, with 6 knock outs and 9 submissions. That's a well-rounded fighter whatever way you want to carve it up.

32 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

You were quick enough to crap on the Khamzat Chimaev hype, saying he hadn’t beat anyone of note before the Burns win. And even he beat Gerald Meerschaert who’s a way better win than anyone Paddy’s beat so far. 

I "crapped on him" as far as people proclaiming him being the second coming in the division. I didn't say he wasn't a good fighter, I said he was too unproven at that point for me to want to see him in with Usman. 

I have never said that Pimblett is a top three lightweight, never mind the champion-in-waiting. I said that Pimblett is more well-rounded and a better fighter than Conor McGregor. There's a big difference there. McGregor is 1-3 in the lightweight division since he beat Alvarez, so it's hardly as if I'm setting a high bar here. 

40 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

I can only imagine what you’d have said if someone came in here after Chimaev sparked Meerschaert saying he’s ‘way more skilled than Usman’. When Paddy starts beating the equivalent of Aldo, Diaz, Poirier, Holloway and Alvarez I’ll readily admit I was wrong. But we’re really gonna say someone is way more skilled than Conor McGregor based on wins over Vendramini, Vargas and Leavitt?

You're not comparing McGregor's standing in the lightweight division to that of Usman in the welter, surely?

If I'd said that Pimblett could beat the likes of Chandler, Oliveira or even Gaethje then I could see your point, but I didn't. I don't think he's good enough to beat any of those guys, but I do think he's more well-rounded and a better fighter than McG, and I think he's fare better than Conor would in those fights.

At the stage Pimblett is at in his UFC career McGregor had just beaten Diego Brandao, and had previous wins over a 21 year old Max Holloway who had just come off a loss to Dennis Bermudez, and a win over the legend that is Marcus Brimage. 

He was still three fights away from an interim title shot, and four away from an actual title fight. Paddy still has time.

I also personally believe that Paddy is fighting in his actual weight class, while McGregor spent a lot of time fighting smaller men. Not that I blame him for that of course, his ability to kill himself to get down to 145lbs for that run of his career was a calculated risk that paid off, but when you removed that fight night 14-20lbs advantage over smaller men and he moved to lightweight he was found out quite sharpish.

The "big left hand" didn't make quite a dent in the chins of the guys who were equal in size to him.

50 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

The star thing hinges on him continuing to win as well. To a point. I don’t deny he’s got a big following. He’s popular enough now that he’ll always be an attraction to some degree whatever happens from here. But a ‘star’ to the level people are talking? Selling out huge stadiums and headlining PPVs and all that shite? That’s gonna fizzle out after a bit if he starts getting chinned or keeps only fighting gimmes. Do people think he’s gonna headline a PPV against someone like Fares Ziam or Brandon Jenkins? Because that’s the kind of level he’s operating on currently.

Well, we said that McGregor's star would fade once he started losing and it didn't for a long time. If Paddy continues to be in quite exciting fights there's always going to be a demand for him, especially in the UK. 

MMA is different from boxing. If Pimblett stepped up, for example, and jumped in to face Oliveira in the middle East after an injury to Makhachev only to lose a back & forth battle after a few rounds, do you think his star dies out and fans stop caring? 

I don't. 

I think Pimblett has one major advantage over McGregor above all else. He seems less prone to self-destruction. Sure, he's an annoying little gobshite who says and does things that we may not agree with, but he doesn't strike me as the type to be accused of rape or to be caught on video punching old men.

His star should burn longer than McGregor's if he continues as he is. 

It's easy to forget that McGregor's star burned the brightest from his bout with Brandao when he headlined in Dublin in 2014 until around 2017 when he fought Mayweather. At the time of the Floyd fight he started coming out with racist shite, and his persona as the cheeky scamp from Crumlin gave way as the cracks started to appear. Then came the build to the Khabib fight, which was toxic as fuck with all manner of drug-addled racist and Islamophobic tirades.

He's now a parody of himself. If I saw him swaggering around Ibiza these days I'd instantly assume that it was some drunk prat from Dublin pretending to be Conor that actually Conor himself!

• Paid Members

If the cracks in McG's armour started to appear when was coming out with racist shite, why doesn't that appear to have happened with you as regards Pimblett? Because he's been spouting racist shit for a while now. He's not just annoying and "saying stuff we might not agree with", he's actually being a cunt.

24 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

If the cracks in McG's armour started to appear when was coming out with racist shite, why doesn't that appear to have happened with you as regards Pimblett? Because he's been spouting racist shit for a while now. He's not just annoying and "saying stuff we might not agree with", he's actually being a cunt.

McGregor's views starting coming to the fore really when he was asking Floyd to dance for him on video that was shown across the entire sports world in the US, which was then followed by him trying to force a devout Muslim to drink alcohol during a press conference.

Pimblett isn't at that stage, is he? I'll be honest, I don't really know what he's said that could be considered questionable. I've never heard him in any of the fight build-up footage saying anything where I've thought "fuck me, he's crossed the line there."

In fact, from what I've seen he's been saying the kind of things that would resonate with the audience rather than upset them or cause issues. His anti-Tory, pro mental health stuff is all I've seen him saying. His press conferences and interviews are all gibberish to me for the most part due to his accent and how quickly he speaks.

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, David said:

Pimblett isn't at that stage, is he? I'll be honest, I don't really know what he's said that could be considered questionable.

padpic-scaled.jpg

chv15xku9so81.jpg?width=1170&format=pjpg

• Paid Members

@CarbombYeah, and McGregor was calling Dennis Siver a Nazi less than 2 years into his UFC career. The cracks were appearing before the Mayweather fight but everyone hoped they were silly one offs and he’d wise up. Obviously he got way worse once he got that Floyd and whiskey coin. 

Everyone knows I loathe Conor, I’m the last one who’s gonna be defending him but saying Paddy Pimblett is a better fighter is just bollocks and bait that I shouldn’t have bitten. He’s done fuck all compared to McGregor and saying you think he’d do better against Oliveira, Chandler or Gaethje than McGregor would, rather than basing it on who he’s actually fought (nobody) is shite.

1 hour ago, David said:

You're not comparing McGregor's standing in the lightweight division to that of Usman in the welter, surely?

Of course not, and you know I’m not. You’re just doing your usual word twisting shite you always do. I brought that up as an example of your double standards. Not so much to do with Usman or McGregor as pointing out that Khamzat’s early wins in the UFC didn’t impress you, fair enough, yet somehow Pimblett’s wins over Vendramini, Vargas and Leavitt have you rating him over McGregor. Same way you were impressed with Greg Hardy for some reason, after a few shite wins. You’ll brush it off but it’s funny how Hot Take Dave always appears whenever people seem to be in agreement on strongly liking or disliking someone. If everyone was bumming Pimblett you’d be in here saying the stuff I’m saying now. Same reason you threw cold water on the Chimaev talk because everyone was excited about him. And the same reason you started talking up Hardy as some big Heavyweight prospect, because everyone else shat on him. You always do your homework reeling off stats and shit to make an argument of it, I’ll give you that. But half the time I honestly don’t think you even believe this shit. I noticed even your comments on McGregor recently have been a bit more positive, because everyone else’s are usually negative. You clearly don’t like him but you just have to go against the grain 😂 now me saying the comparisons between Pimblett and McGregor are silly has given you the perfect opportunity to go back to slagging McGregor off. Normal service resumes. 

1 hour ago, David said:

Well, we said that McGregor's star would fade once he started losing and it didn't for a long time. 

McGregor was already a made man by that point though. Based on the actual massive win over Jose Aldo in 13 seconds, the big win over Mendes, the Dublin card, calling and then executing the Poirier KO etc. All fights a lot of people predicted he’d lose. By the time he lost to Nate, he was already such a big star he was almost bulletproof. There’s a difference between that and this Paddy thing. As you said, if Paddy’s currently at the stage McGregor was when he fought Brandao, then I do think McGregor would’ve fizzled out a lot quicker if he’d lost around that time. Say he’d lost that first Poirier fight, it changes things a lot. He’d still have been popular and an attraction but those Mendes and Aldo fights would’ve been on the backburner and who knows how his trajectory would’ve went after that. We’ve seen how McGregor usually responds to losing and it’s not good.

Like I already said, Paddy’s got enough of a following now that he’ll always be a focal point and an attraction to some degree. I’m not saying he’s got no starpower or buzz at all. That’d just be silly. All I’m saying is people are jumping the gun with some of the overdramatic mega star talk. It’s very early days and unless they can keep feeding him this level of opposition forever, the losses are gonna start piling up before long. And unlike McGregor who was already made from the second he stopped Aldo’s legendary reign, I can’t fathom Pimblett having even similar success, much less the equivalent of that win, in today’s Lightweight division. Looking at the Top 15, he probably loses to all of them, and some below 15. He’s in the toughest division, he’s already shown moments of vulnerability at the absolute bottom rung level of said division and he lets himself balloon up in weight to ridiculous levels between fights. None of it paints a picture of someone who’s gonna excel at the top of a division like 155. Again, he’ll always have his loud and vocal supporters. But at the end of the day people like winners. MMA more than most sports has a fanbase that’s full of the most fairweather twats going. It’s why I was almost alone for years on the Charles Oliveira bandwagon when he was on the prelims, no-one gave a fuck, yet now the whole fanbase is acting like he’s Terminator. It’s why Ebb was seemingly the only Masvidal fan on the planet for years until he kneed Askren’s perm straight. Then everyone was a Scarface Jorge fan. Now he’s started losing again everyone’s abandoned ship again and Ebb’s got the bandwagon to himself again. If Paddy’s ceiling in the 155 division is as low as I suspect, when he finally starts getting matched up with the legit up and comers of the division (Tsarukyan, Kutateladze, Ismagulov, even guys like Bahamondes and Klein), never mind the top contenders, and he starts losing, I think you’ll see a fair bit of the buzz fade. He’ll still create discussion and strong reactions regardless. He’s a polarising prick. But I genuinely think he’s gonna end up as basically a more popular 155 Darren Till. 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

@CarbombYeah, and McGregor was calling Dennis Siver a Nazi less than 2 years into his UFC career. The cracks were appearing before the Mayweather fight but everyone hoped they were silly one offs and he’d wise up. Obviously he got way worse once he got that Floyd and whiskey coin. 

To be clear, I'm not defending McGregor at all. He's an abject wretch. I'm just not seeing why, when he was quite rightly rinsed for the racist and homophobic shit he came out with, people are seemingly ignoring that in Pimblett. Pimblett isn't quite as bad, but there's no hierarchy to it: he's said racist shit, doubled down on it, and only once has he backed down, which was the Georgians thing (in theory, that could be his Nazi Dennis Siver moment, because like McG he apologised and people let him off).

As with people like Pimblett, I'm hoping above anything else that he has a fucking enlightenment, apologises for the shit he's spouted, and goes on to be an example of sportsmanship. But I really doubt it, and right now, with so many people riding his nob, I don't see him changing except to become even worse. Good that he says anti-Tory stuff, but hey: Donald Cerrone is pro-union, but that doesn't stop him being a TrumpCunt.

• Paid Members

I think the Pimblett fans are gonna be like McGregor fans in that they’ll just keep ignoring all the shitty things he says and/or does but the second he does something positive, they’ll all fall over themselves to praise him and say “this is the REAL Paddy/Conor”. We saw it with McGregor all the time. Rape allegations, nothing or “they’re lying/after money”. Racist comments, nothing. Punching old men, nothing or “he must’ve provoked him”. But Conor donates to a charity…”this is the REAL Conor!” 

Another Pimblett-McGregor comparison but sod it. Like you say, Pimblett hasn’t reached the level of cunt McGregor is at yet but it’s early days. 

I hate to defend McGregor as I think he is an utter bell end but I don't think its fair to say that he was or is the drizzling shits on the ground.

When have we really seen him have to grapple in UFC?

Max Holloway fight was a lot of grappling and that was a win.

He was forced to grapple with Mendes. Its hard to really get a read on this because it was short notice. He hit a pretty nice escape from a choke but you could either praise him for that or say that it only happened as Chad was gassed. Either way it wasnt drizzling shits grappling.

People are really hung up on the "lmao u tapped out! Conor mctapper m8" thing from the first Diaz fight. I've always felt like he was done before it even hit the ground. He shot for a hail Mary takedown as I guess he felt it was only way to buy time to recover. Obviously did NOT work in his favour but its not like he was just taken down, controlled and submitted with ease.

He got outwrestled and submitted by Khabib but, come on now, who the fuck doesnt? In the pure grappling parts of the fight you could argue he fared better than Poirier and Gaethje and it wouldn't be a wild thing to say at all. His wrestling defence was pretty solid looking. 

If you want to go back further, he submitted Dave Hill to win the 145lb belt in CWFC. Hill never really made it to a higher level before calling it quits but he was a good prospect on the UK scene at the time and was primarily a grappler. 

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, Ironic Indie Lad said:

People are really hung up on the "lmao u tapped out! Conor mctapper m8" thing from the first Diaz fight. I've always felt like he was done before it even hit the ground. He shot for a hail Mary takedown as I guess he felt it was only way to buy time to recover. Obviously did NOT work in his favour but its not like he was just taken down, controlled and submitted with ease.

Yeah he was already hurt on the feet and gassing when he shot for that desperate takedown. I feel like it was either him just, as you say, trying to tie Nate up and survive to the end of the round to hopefully recover a bit between rounds. Or he knew he was done and shot in rather than getting stopped on the feet.

”Oh, so you’re a wrestler now?”

24BE3C15-012C-41AE-87F8-672EA3D753A6.gif

Edited by wandshogun09

1 hour ago, wandshogun09 said:

Everyone knows I loathe Conor, I’m the last one who’s gonna be defending him but saying Paddy Pimblett is a better fighter is just bollocks and bait that I shouldn’t have bitten.

It's not bait, I just think he's generally a more well-rounded MMA fighter. I think he poses more problems to opponents, as he's skilled on the ground as well as on the feet. His record of 6 knockouts and 9 submissions with 4 decisions suggests that, doesn't it?

With Conor it's always been widely known that if you survive the first round or so and manage to avoid "the big left hand" you had a fairly decent chance of success. I don't think that's the case with Pimblett. He's not a specialist in any one area, but if you take him down there's a higher threat he'll snatch a submission than you would face if you took McGregor down.

1 hour ago, wandshogun09 said:

He’s done fuck all compared to McGregor and saying you think he’d do better against Oliveira, Chandler or Gaethje than McGregor would, rather than basing it on who he’s actually fought (nobody) is shite.

I'm basing him doing better than McGregor against those top fighters on his variety of skillset. It's only natural that someone who holds a BJJ black belt and has 9 career submissions as well as 6 knockouts is going to provide his opponent more to think about than someone who does fuck all on the deck and only has boxing.

As I said, he's at the same stage of his UFC career as when McGregor beat Brandao. Three fights deep. Were people not allowed to compare Conor at that time to fighters who were more experienced?

2 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

Of course not, and you know I’m not. You’re just doing your usual word twisting shite you always do. I brought that up as an example of your double standards. Not so much to do with Usman or McGregor as pointing out that Khamzat’s early wins in the UFC didn’t impress you, fair enough, yet somehow Pimblett’s wins over Vendramini, Vargas and Leavitt have you rating him over McGregor.

No, I'm not having that. I'm not twisting any words, it was you who mentioned Usman, not me. I can understand you bringing Usman into the debate if I'd said that I thought Pimblett was better than Oliveira, Poirier, or Gaethje. A legit top guy. I didn't though. I said he's better than someone who's went 1-3 in his proper weight class and has one win over a semi-retired Donald Cerrone in over five years. 

McGregor isn't a top guy now. Strip away all the shite that is attached to him and he's an almost washed-up top ten lightweight at best. I'm not comparing Pimblett to a top five legit contender here, which is what people were doing with Khamzat, and that's what I disagreed with at the time, so it's completely different. 

Pimblett's wins over those guys he's beaten so far are only part of the reason I would have him beating McGregor if they fought in six months time. And even then all I really took from those fights is that it shows Paddy can handle the big pressure environment of performing in front of a big crowd.

No, the main reason I pick him over Conor, even now, is because, again, he has more ways to win. He offers a more varied skillset. Sure, he doesn't have "the big left hand" or the swagger-Vince walk into the cage, but he's shown that he can take the fight a few different places and win. 

McGregor has never really shown that, and at his current age and where he is in his career, I doubt he'd be showing improvement. Unless he's rolling on the mats of Ibiza during the day, parting at night, Joe Rogan podcast all day!

Same way you were impressed with Greg Hardy for some reason, after a few shite wins. You’ll brush it off but it’s funny how Hot Take Dave always appears whenever people seem to be in agreement on strongly liking or disliking someone.

I was impressed with Hardy. I wasn't the only one either. Again, look beyond his name and reputation and try telling me that he didn't look impressive for a guy of his experience level. 

He made his debut on Dana's contender series against a guy who was 4-0. Beat him in less than a minute. 

Who has he lost to? Alexander Volkov? Hardy was 6 fights into his career going against someone with 37 fights to his name, a former M-1 Global champion and a Bellator tournament winner and who had ten years more experience than Hardy. He lost a decision.

Tybura had a record of 20-6 when he faced Hardy, another M-1 champion who had wins over the likes of Rothwell, Struve and Arlovski.

Everyone he lost to since joining the UFC had far more experience than he did.

Those "shite wins" you mention are against guys who were around a similar experience level as he was, such as De Castro, Adams, and Greene.

So yeah, I was impressed with Greg Hardy. He's a hell of an athlete and was impressive considering the experience level he was at. I didn't like him personally, but I'm not going to let that colour my view of him from a pure fighting standpoint. 

His name recognition (and his own willingness to step up) is what was his undoing. A guy of his experience wouldn't usually find themselves in a cage with the likes of Volkov, Tuivasa etc. He was put there because he was a known name.

Unless you think a guy who's 4-0 should be hanging with experienced vets like Volkov, of course?

If everyone was bumming Pimblett you’d be in here saying the stuff I’m saying now. Same reason you threw cold water on the Chimaev talk because everyone was excited about him. And the same reason you started talking up Hardy as some big Heavyweight prospect, because everyone else shat on him.

Everyone is bumming Pimblett! 🤣

I'm not even saying he's world class! I'm saying I think he'll do better in the cage because he's got more tools in his arsenal than McGregor has, and you're acting as though I'm claiming he'd sub a prime Rickson Gracie! 

I'm saying Pimblett is better than a one-dimensional cokehead for fuck sake! How much lower can the bar be set?!?!

I threw cold water on Khazmat being discussed as the next king of the division. That's not being contrary, that's just common fucking sense, man. I never said he wasn't a good fighter. I just said that he needs to do more before I believe he's a threat at the very top.

That's the exact same thing I'd say to anyone who claims Pimblett is gonna roll through the lightweight division. Saying he's better than McGregor is totally different from saying he'd prevail against the legit killers in the division.

McGregor was already a made man by that point though. Based on the actual massive win over Jose Aldo in 13 seconds, the big win over Mendes, the Dublin card, calling and then executing the Poirier KO etc. All fights a lot of people predicted he’d lose. By the time he lost to Nate, he was already such a big star he was almost bulletproof. There’s a difference between that and this Paddy thing. As you said, if Paddy’s currently at the stage McGregor was when he fought Brandao, then I do think McGregor would’ve fizzled out a lot quicker if he’d lost around that time. Say he’d lost that first Poirier fight, it changes things a lot. He’d still have been popular and an attraction but those Mendes and Aldo fights would’ve been on the backburner and who knows how his trajectory would’ve went after that. We’ve seen how McGregor usually responds to losing and it’s not good.

What's to say Paddy will lose any time soon though? He is at the stage where McGregor was when he fought Brandao, with the only difference being that McGregor headlined in Dublin. 

Throw Paddy in against someone similar to that in Liverpool as a headliner and you'll see his star grow even more if he wins. In fact, that's probably next up, isn't it? Is there an arena in Liverpool that could handle that?

Like I already said, Paddy’s got enough of a following now that he’ll always be a focal point and an attraction to some degree. I’m not saying he’s got no starpower or buzz at all. That’d just be silly. All I’m saying is people are jumping the gun with some of the overdramatic mega star talk. It’s very early days and unless they can keep feeding him this level of opposition forever, the losses are gonna start piling up before long. And unlike McGregor who was already made from the second he stopped Aldo’s legendary reign, I can’t fathom Pimblett having even similar success, much less the equivalent of that win, in today’s Lightweight division.

Did anyone really think McGregor was beating prime Aldo back in the day? Never mind knocking him cold in short-time? I don't think so. Lots of folk assumed "the next guy" was where McGregor would come undone. I was one of them! But it took a while to happen.

What's to say the same doesn't happen with Paddy? I personally don't think he beats the top guys at lightweight, whereas McGregor had the advantage of fighting men smaller than him for a lot of his initial UFC career. His ability to cut weight to 145lbs was amazing, and when he came in on fight night he was basically bigger than many lightweights on the night. 

2 hours ago, Carbomb said:

To be clear, I'm not defending McGregor at all. He's an abject wretch. I'm just not seeing why, when he was quite rightly rinsed for the racist and homophobic shit he came out with, people are seemingly ignoring that in Pimblett. Pimblett isn't quite as bad, but there's no hierarchy to it: he's said racist shit, doubled down on it, and only once has he backed down, which was the Georgians thing (in theory, that could be his Nazi Dennis Siver moment, because like McG he apologised and people let him off).

As with people like Pimblett, I'm hoping above anything else that he has a fucking enlightenment, apologises for the shit he's spouted, and goes on to be an example of sportsmanship. But I really doubt it, and right now, with so many people riding his nob, I don't see him changing except to become even worse. Good that he says anti-Tory stuff, but hey: Donald Cerrone is pro-union, but that doesn't stop him being a TrumpCunt.

McGregor was rinsed for it when he started saying it on live television and in press conferences. At that point it becomes difficult for sponsors and the actual money men behind the product to explain it away. If Paddy starts spouting shite on camera when there's eyeballs watching then there'll be questions for him to answer, but you posted a whole bunch of Twitter stuff up there. I'm not on Twitter, so I've not seen any of that. How many folk in the crowd in London are on Twitter? Most of my mates aren't. They're on Insta, so they can post photos of nights out and shit like that.

There's also the important factor that most people don't give a shit. I've said it before, we're talking about a "sport" where men and women punch each other in the face, try to break limbs and fracture bones, all done in front of a crowd of mostly pissed up alpha males baying for blood or a vicious knockout. 

Homophobia and casual racism isn't a line in the sand for most of the fans who follow the sport.

• Paid Members
59 minutes ago, David said:

McGregor was rinsed for it when he started saying it on live television and in press conferences. At that point it becomes difficult for sponsors and the actual money men behind the product to explain it away. If Paddy starts spouting shite on camera when there's eyeballs watching then there'll be questions for him to answer, but you posted a whole bunch of Twitter stuff up there. I'm not on Twitter, so I've not seen any of that. How many folk in the crowd in London are on Twitter? Most of my mates aren't. They're on Insta, so they can post photos of nights out and shit like that.

There's also the important factor that most people don't give a shit. I've said it before, we're talking about a "sport" where men and women punch each other in the face, try to break limbs and fracture bones, all done in front of a crowd of mostly pissed up alpha males baying for blood or a vicious knockout. 

Homophobia and casual racism isn't a line in the sand for most of the fans who follow the sport.

Firstly, does it matter how many people in London are on Twitter? We're not talking about the people in the crowd, we're talking about our opinions on the fucker, including yours. Doesn't matter where he said it, the fact is he said it.

Second part: again, it doesn't matter, because that's not what we're discussing, at least that's what your initial post led me to believe. We've had this kind of discussion so many times that it should be considered an tacit given that we're not the typical crowd, and that we're only speaking for ourselves, not them.

What a bunch of Two-Can Van Dammes and broflakes think, I don't give a ha'penny jizz; it doesn't change that I think Pimblett is a turd, as do quite a number of people on here. We're not talking about public perception, we're discussing our opinions as forumers, which is the most any of us can be expected to do on here.

1 hour ago, Carbomb said:

Firstly, does it matter how many people in London are on Twitter? We're not talking about the people in the crowd, we're talking about our opinions on the fucker, including yours. Doesn't matter where he said it, the fact is he said it.

Second part: again, it doesn't matter, because that's not what we're discussing, at least that's what your initial post led me to believe. We've had this kind of discussion so many times that it should be considered an tacit given that we're not the typical crowd, and that we're only speaking for ourselves, not them.

What a bunch of Two-Can Van Dammes and broflakes think, I don't give a ha'penny jizz; it doesn't change that I think Pimblett is a turd, as do quite a number of people on here. We're not talking about public perception, we're discussing our opinions as forumers, which is the most any of us can be expected to do on here.

I assumed we were talking about his popularity in general? Us lads on this forum are a very small minority and most definitely not the target market.

If the end result of this discussion is that four or five folk on this forum think Pimblett is a wee wank, then fair enough. My point was that the disenchantment when it comes to Conor started to really grow when he was acting blatantly like a racist and scummy prick in front of a bigger audience, and on official programming such as press conferences and suchlike.

The two-can Van Dammes and broflakes are the vast majority of the paying public for the UFC, so what they think is what matters to the UFC.

Edited by David

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, David said:

I assumed we were talking about his popularity in general? Us lads on this forum are a very small minority and most definitely not the target market.

If the end result of this discussion is that four or five folk on this forum think Pimblett is a wee wank, then fair enough. My point was that the disenchantment when it comes to Conor started to really grow when he was acting blatantly like a racist and scummy prick in front of a bigger audience, and on official programming such as press conferences and suchlike.

The two-can Van Dammes and broflakes are the vast majority of the paying public for the UFC, so what they think is what matters to the UFC.

Fair enough if that's what you meant - it genuinely sounded like you were defending him to us, in some ways.

As to the disenchantment, sure - if he starts reaching millions of people with his racism, rather than the hundreds of thousands on social, he will most likely start declining like McG.

As I said earlier in the thread, I don't want to dislike anyone - I always hope for some sort of Damascene conversion where they admit their faults and go on to be a decent human being. Especially one like Pimblett, who has expressed some views that make me think "Then why did you post that racist shit? Come on, man, you should know better". But he's popular now, being worshipped by knuckledraggers, so I think he's just going further down the rabbithole.