UFC London: Blaydes vs Aspinall - Jul 23 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

7 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

The statement that Till is the most popular fighter in the country is genuinely depressing, because I was forced to think about it, and realise it's more or less correct. Only other ones I can think of who might come close are MVP (and I don't know how good Bellator's numbers are), and Winnet Pimblett. Much as I like him, Aspinall still isn't quite there yet, Paul Craig is awesome but undersign, Jack Shore doesn't seem to be getting traction with the public, and McCann's a bit annoying and not really that good. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Scott Malbranque said:

Till's an odd one for me. Magic, you said it best a while back when you said he's stuck in that weird limbo of being simultaneously overrated and underrated. I don't think he's done much - by way of improvement, anyway - since the jump to 185 and he's not as entertaining in there as he likes to think he is, or sells himself as being. 

When I see his name now, I just say "Ah sure, there he is, now"...and that's it. Nothing of any note either side of my thought process. 

Yeah I’m pretty indifferent to him these days. I think part of the problem with Till now is that he talked himself up so much early on and got a lot of fans on board, and now he’s in a position where he’s always thrown in with top guys and he’s clearly not on that level. I don’t think he’s even bad, he’s just not elite. But ever since he bashed up Cerrone years ago, you look at who he’s faced;

Wonderboy Thompson - always an awkward opponent for anyone and was right in the title mix at the time.

Tyron Woodley - the champ at the time, and Woodley was in his best form back then. Till getting the shot at all here was debatable considering the decision over Wonderboy in his previous fight was iffy. 

Jorge Masvidal - who was coming off a layoff but was about to have his best year in the sport.

Kelvin Gastelum - who was fresh off that classic against Adesanya and he gave Izzy all kinds of problems in that one. This was Till’s 185 debut as well, he got the win but Gastelum as his Middleweight debut wasn’t exactly easing him in gently.

Robert Whittaker - beast and the perennial #2 in the division since Adesanya claimed the throne.

Derek Brunson - who was in the best form of his career and had just derailed the hype of Kevin Holland and Edmen Shahbazyan.

I mean, that’s a rough run by anyone’s standards fighting that lot back-to-back. Not feeling sorry for him, you shouldn’t really be getting gimmes at the UFC level. But it always feels like the UFC matchmakers and a lot of MMA media and fans have a belief and expectations in Till that really aren’t warranted. He lost most of the above and even the wins were either dodgy decisions or haven’t aged too well. I think his gob has turned out to be a double edged sword. It got him noticed and earned him a following early doors, but he’s clearly bitten off more than he can chew in the long run. I think we’ll see a lot of parallels between Till’s UFC run and Paddy Pimblett’s as time goes on. 

23 hours ago, David said:

I know Till is considered a draw in the UK, but he's fast becoming a non-factor for me. Lost two on the bounce, 1-4 in his last 5? I'm not all that fussed that he's not fighting.

His record in his last 10 signed bouts is now

1 win

4 Defeats

5 cancelled

• Paid Members

Well fuck, Mason Jones has been added after all!

Klein was set to face Ignacio Bahamondes at UFC 277. Gutted Bahamondes is out, to be honest, but I like this. Jones should’ve been on this card from the off anyway. I know it’s harsh on Klein but I wish it was him who pulled out instead. Jones vs Bahamondes would’ve been bananas. Still a good fight though. Just happy Jones is on the card. 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

I'm still at the point where i'd like to see Pimblett win, because i'd to see him engage a decent feud with a payoff fight. I'm completely indifferent towards Molly, just hope for a good fight.

I've thought this before and have been wrong but I think Paul Craig may come unstuck. He weathers the storm and comes back and does his thing but Volkan Oezdemir is one of the best 1 round fighters in the division. 

This is the test for Aspinall thought isn't it? I think Blaydes is the nightmare matchup for anyone in the division, but it's a test you have to pass at some point if you want to be at the top. I'm picking Blaydes to maybe drag this to a long, slow fight but i'd love to see Aspinall roll on. If he wins this he could be next for the belt, and that would be massive for UK MMA.

9 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

I'm still at the point where i'd like to see Pimblett win, because i'd to see him engage a decent feud with a payoff fight. I'm completely indifferent towards Molly, just hope for a good fight.

I've thought this before and have been wrong but I think Paul Craig may come unstuck. He weathers the storm and comes back and does his thing but Volkan Oezdemir is one of the best 1 round fighters in the division. 

This is the test for Aspinall thought isn't it? I think Blaydes is the nightmare matchup for anyone in the division, but it's a test you have to pass at some point if you want to be at the top. I'm picking Blaydes to maybe drag this to a long, slow fight but i'd love to see Aspinall roll on. If he wins this he could be next for the belt, and that would be massive for UK MMA.

If any or all of the above comes to pass I'm holding you personally responsible, Ebb.