UFC London: Blaydes vs Aspinall - Jul 23 šŸ“󠁧󠁢󠁄󠁮󠁧ó æ

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

7 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

OK then, weā€™re back in London for the second time this year. Whoā€™s going?

475-CC5-C8-CAEF-4-E89-A1-FD-77285-D50152

ESPN+ MAIN CARD
Curtis Blaydes vs Tom AspinallĀ 

Jack Hermansson vs Chris CurtisĀ 

Paddy Pimblett vs Jordan Leavitt

Nikita Krylov vs Alexander Gustafsson

Molly McCann vs Hannah Goldy

Paul Craig vs Volkan OezdemirĀ 

ESPN+/FIGHT PASS PRELIMS
Mason Jones vs Ludovit Klein

Marc Diakiese vs Damir Hadzovic

Nathaniel Wood vs Charles Rosa

Makwan Amirkhani vs Jonathan PearceĀ 

Muhammad Mokaev vs Charles Johnson

Jai Herbert vs Kyle Nelson

Mandy Bohm vs Victoria Leonardo

Nicolas Dalby vs Claudio Silva

Ā 

As always, that isnā€™t the final bout order. Iā€™ve got a feeling there might still be one or two fights added yet as well. Theyā€™re gonna have a tough time topping the last London card in March for me. And as much as I like this one, I liked the March card better. Still, plenty to sink your teeth into here. Did anyone manage to get tickets? I heard it was a nightmare. Itā€™s sad but Iā€™ve given up even trying now.Ā 

Ā 

3-CCA771-A-8137-4-ECC-8-C17-14-A58-C67-F

Curtis Blaydes vs Tom Aspinall is set to main event this one. Good fight and easily the toughest test yet for Aspinall. Very interesting matchup. I know itā€™s the done thing for MMA fans to groan whenever a Blaydes fight is announced and talk about him being boring, Iā€™m not gonna pretend he hasnā€™t had some stinkers. But I do think heā€™s got a bit of an underserved rep for it. And regardless, just style-wise, we want to see Aspinall tested and throwing him in a 5 rounder with the guy whoā€™s probably the best wrestler currently in the division is certainly a test. I like it.

F76-EA7-B6-5-C7-D-46-EC-9-F6-E-C32-D3-D8

So yeah, Blaydes isnā€™t everyoneā€™s cup of tea. Heā€™s not my favourite fighter either but, like it or not, heā€™s one of the best fighters in the Heavyweight division today. Obviously Iā€™d put him below the champ Francis Ngannou, heā€™s 0-2 down to him already. And of course I rate Stipe above him. But heā€™s not a fight any Heavyweight would relish signing on for. Heā€™s 31 now, 16-3-0-1 and 11 of his 16 wins came via knockout. Boring bastard. Heā€™s got a brutal ground and pound KO win over Alistair Overeem, a TKO over Junior Dos Santos and heā€™s also beat Mark Hunt, Alexey Oleynik, Alexander Volkov and Jairzinho Rozenstruik. And in his most recent fight in Marchā€¦

image.gif.5e681553788939703a2659831740fee5.gif

He absolutely flatlined Chris Daukaus with a POTN winning knockout. Heā€™s no joke. Wrestling is obviously his bread and butter but heā€™s shown more than once that heā€™s got some dangerous striking as well. Make no mistake though, heā€™d definitely rather wrestle. Thatā€™s his comfort zone. Heā€™s heading into hostile territory here but I donā€™t get the feeling Blaydes is the type to be fazed by a crowd booing him. Letā€™s face it, heā€™s probably become used to it at this point.

045950-F4-010-D-4-B3-B-B8-D4-497-F633-DB

Aspinall is the new kid on the block. 29 years old, from Manchester, 6ā€™5ā€ and agile and quick with it, BJJ black-belt etc. Heā€™s 12-2 so far in MMA with all his wins being finishes. Hasnā€™t lost since 2016 and is currently riding an 8 fight winning streak. He made his UFC debut in 2020 and has gone 5-0 with 4 POTN bonuses. Heā€™s had a hell of a start on the big stage and heā€™s a rare case where pretty much everyone in the MMA fanbase seems to be in agreement and quite high on him. He submitted Andrei Arlovski last February, then it was a quick TKO over Sergey Spivak in September. That set him up with the biggest night of his career in March this year. The UFC returned to London for the first time in 3 years, and Aspinall was put in his first headliner against Alexander Volkov. I think we all thought this would be a tough fight for Big Tom. Or at least one heā€™d find it tricky to look good in.

image.gif.2fe4fc10770f349ce82fd9c814eb5a61.gif

604-F7167-064-E-4-DB0-AA2-D-DE79-BBFA75-

No bother. Aspinall had him tappingĀ at 3:45Ā of the opening round. Nobody had run through Volkov like that in the UFC. It was a really impressive performance. He made it look way easier than I think anyone expected.

With all that said, it feels like deja vu talking about this as his ā€˜big testā€™ because we were saying that about the Volkov fight a few months ago and look what happened. But I think Blaydes has a skill set that makes him trickier than Volkov. Aspinall has looked class so far but there are still questions we havenā€™t seen asked of him. His cardio, his chin (although itā€™s a big ā€˜un), his composure if things start going wrong in there, and we havenā€™t seen his wrestling really put to the test. On paper, Blaydes has the tools to not just ask those questions, he might fucking interrogate him. Aspinall has really had it all his own way in the UFC so far. So as good as heā€™s looked and as much as I really wanna see him do well, the jury is still kind of out for me. Volkov was a jump in levels and this is a jump again from that. I was kind of hoping for Aspinall vs Tai Tuivasa on this card, to be honest. And stylistically I think that wouldā€™ve been a more fun fight. But this is way more interesting. If Aspinall walks through someone the calibre of Blaydes then heā€™s top level no doubt. And from there, it can only be the likes of Gane, Stipe, Ngannou etc for him. It feels mental typing that because Aspinall still feels like ā€˜the new kidā€™. Before the Volkov fight, most people, me included, were saying they hoped Aspinall wouldnā€™t be rushed too soon. But if he beats Blaydes, and especially if he does it in similar fashion as his last few wins, you canā€™t go backwards at that point. Iā€™m about 50/50 on this, to be honest. I hope Aspinall gets it done but I could just as easily see Blaydes bollocking the whole thing up.

Ā 

330-E4955-191-C-4888-A8-D7-D63024761182.

Jack Hermansson vs Chris Curtis is the new co-main event after Darren Till withdrew. For me, this is an upgrade. Till just doesnā€™t do it for me, in terms of his personality or his fighting style. Of course, it being a UK card, Till being on it was the logical fit, but I think this is a better actual fight. Iā€™ve pretty much always liked Hermansson and I rate him but, for whatever reason, heā€™s been quite inconsistent the last few years. Heā€™s been on a win one/lose one run since 2019 now and is coming into this fight off a lacklustre 5 round decision loss to Sean Strickland in their February main event. I was a bit surprised he lost that one, to be honest. Heā€™s better than he showed that night. Curtis stepping in with two weeks to go is as much a risk for Hermansson as it is for Curtis. More of a risk really because heā€™s always been scheduled for this card and heā€™s mixed with the bigger names. The pressure is on Hermansson really here. Thereā€™s kind of nothing to lose if youā€™re Curtis in a way. If he wins itā€™s huge for him. But even if he loses, he took it on short notice and heā€™ll earn some good will from that in the eyes of fans and probably the UFC brass as well. I like Curtis. Seems a good guy and Iā€™ve really enjoyed his fights in the UFC so far. A couple of stoppage wins over Phil Hawes and Brendan Allen and then a decision over Rodolfo Vieira just the other week on the Gamrot vs Tsarukyan card. So he should still be sharp here. Heā€™s 29-8 now and on an 8 fight winning streak. This is a great opportunity for him and at 34 years old, he got to the big show relatively late so he kind of needs to get the ball rolling and mixing it with these established names at 185. Really like this. Got to give credit to both men - Curtis for stepping in and Hermansson for agreeing to a risky late replacement.

Ā 

8-A1-C8510-1-AAF-4-A2-A-AFB2-B7-CDD5-EE9

Paddy Pimblett vs Jordan Leavitt then. You know who Iā€™m rooting for here. If I havenā€™t made it clear by now, I canā€™t fucking stand Laddy Paddy and Iā€™m looking forward to his inevitable downfall in the UFC. Whether that starts with this fight or not remains to be seen but that day is coming. Donā€™t get me wrong, heā€™s not a bad fighter, and heā€™s certainly not a boring one. Win or lose, his fights are gonna be entertaining and youā€™re gonna be invested, either for or against him. But the people talking about him getting in the title picture or becoming some massive star either never watched him pre-UFC, ignored him getting rocked in the UFC by the likes of Luigi Vendramini and Kazula Vargas, or theyā€™re in denial about how he truthfully stacks up against the rest of the 155 division. Because thereā€™s not a hopeā€¦

179161-D4-F552-43-B0-86-A1-1-DA911188-CC

ā€¦not a hope in hell that this gormless, racist, mopheaded, rotund gannet is stringing together a series of wins that will either get him to the title or see him regularly selling out stadiums. Look at the Top 10, fuck probably the Top 25, in that Lightweight division. Itā€™s just not happening. Not saying he wonā€™t possibly spring a solid win here or there. But to become the kind of ā€˜starā€™ many seem to be expecting him to be, youā€™re gonna have to put together a streak of them for some kind of meaningful period of time. Heā€™s already ducked Ilia Topuria, under the disguise of the fighter pay argument. Then the talk of the planned Ottman Azaitar matchup mysteriously fizzled away. But now we have a fight.

image.gif.f3fdfbe7f7287d83b4dc1d1f4e41956b.gif

šŸ¤£Ā I canā€™t remember who said it on here but Leavitt is basically MMA Louie Spence. Heā€™s 10-1 with 7 finishes. His only loss being a decision against Claudio Puelles (whoā€™s looking like someone to keep tabs on). Aside from that, his best wins were a nasty slam KO in his UFC debut against Matt Wiman and an inverted triangle finish against Matt Sayles. He also beat Trey Ogden on points last time out. Hardly a whoā€™s who on his record either. His UFC opposition is comparable to Pimblettā€™s. But those finishes were memorable if nothing else and I do see this as a step up for Pimblett. Leavitt is definitely a more live opponent than Paddyā€™s first couple. I do think itā€™s telling though, that after seeing Vendramini and Vargas stun Paddy in the early exchanges, theyā€™ve chosen Leavitt here whoā€™s not known for his punching power and all his finishes bar the Wiman slam came via submission. They probably see this as a favourable style matchup for Pimblett but Leavitt could potentially give him issues on the ground anyway. Heā€™s already talked about a victory celebration heā€™s planning that could ā€œcause a riotā€ in London. Him choking Paddy unconscious and then twerking around the Octagon like Valerie Loureda would be about the funniest derailing of Pimblettā€™s hype train I can possibly imagine. I hope it happens. LAD.

Ā 

0-FB3-F72-D-2370-4-F19-BC5-C-959-B4956-D

Nikita Krylov vs Alexander Gustafsson. Really donā€™t know what to expect here. Krylovā€™s had his moments but has floundered against the top boys. Heā€™s 27-9 now and has lost 4 of his last 6. All to strong opposition but still, heā€™s still 2-4 in his last 6. And Gustafsson? Who the fuck knows anymore? Heā€™s a complete mystery at this point. I donā€™t know what weā€™re getting. At one stage he was legitimately one of the 2 or 3 best Light Heavyweights in the world. Was the first to give Jon Jones real problems in their 2013 classic, took Daniel Cormier to a really close decision in another tremendous fight in 2015, and he uppercutted the head off current champ Glover Teixeira in 2017. He retired in 2019 at just 32 years old after a loss to Anthony Smith. It came as a bit of a surprise at the time but he returned in 2020, as a Heavyweight looking all chubby, and got swiftly submitted by Fabricio Werdum. Thatā€™s the last weā€™ve seen of him. Heā€™s been linked to a couple of fights since - vs Ben Rothwell at HW and Paul Craig at 205 - but neither made it to the cage. And here we are. Purely on skills, if this was the best versions of both men I wouldnā€™t hesitate to pick Gus. And heā€™d probably mop the floor with Krylov. But Iā€™ve had serious doubts on him ever since that initial retirement. Thereā€™s only a couple of reasons you retire at 32 and itā€™s usually either injuries or lack of motivation. And the shape he turned up in against Werdum, it just felt like he couldnā€™t be arsed anymore. I suppose at least heā€™s back at 205 here. But still, heā€™s been inactive for 2 years again. Iā€™d love to see Gus come back and make another run. Heā€™d be a real boost to the LHW division. But I just donā€™t see it. Not a clue on this one but Iā€™m oddly intrigued.

Ā 

D4122415-0-CB8-403-C-9-CC0-F8-D8261-C33-

Molly McCann vs Hannah Goldy. Not expecting a great deal from this but itā€™s OK midcard or prelim fodder. If nothing else the crowd will be into it. McCannā€™s 12-4 now and probably never going much further than she is currently. But she is coming off that insane spinning elbow knockout in Marchā€¦

image.gif.48f1ae3b7aa7ea86c49c4ae53345122d.gif

It was the last thing anyone expected out of Molly. All her previous UFC wins had gone the distance and sheā€™d never even really thrown a lot of ā€˜spinning shitā€™ as far as I recall. Itā€™s gonna go down as one of the best knockouts of the year and it came from one of the least likely fighters to pull it off. Goldyā€™s 6-2 and has done nothing particularly memorable so far in her UFC stint. She armbarred Emily Whitmire in a round last time out but thatā€™s about it. On paper it feels like the matchmakers trying to get Molly another win but I donā€™t know enough about Goldy to rate or dismiss her chances.

Ā 

4-EB07-EE9-9672-4667-BD62-B5-EF5881-BC7-

Paul Craig vs Volkan Oezdemir. First off, what does Volkan think heā€™s doing with that hair? Just looks so wrong. He needs to go back to the slaphead look sharpish. As for the fight itself, you know sometimes when a fight gets announced and you instantly get an image in your head how itā€™s probably going down? This has the feel of another Paul Craig special to me. Meaning heā€™s probably gonna get fucking obliterated for a round or so, Volkanā€™s definitely got the kind of pop in his punches to put Craig in some bother. But when Paul Craigā€™s in bother,Ā youā€™re usually fucked.

B228-EA7-A-3603-4-EA5-9-F49-CC4-FEAD0-AC

We saw it against Magomed Ankalaev in 2018, Iā€™m sure the Kennedy Nzechukwu fight in 2019 was similar and the Nikita Krylov fight last time out in March was yet another one. Heā€™s basically Scottish Big Nog at this point. Itā€™s never over until itā€™s over. Volkan is dangerous but I think if Craig weathers his storm heā€™ll probably catch another sub. I can see it playing out very similarly to Volkanā€™s fight against Anthony Smith a few years back where Smith was tough enough to take what Volkan dished out, then rallied for the submission when he slowed down.

Ā 

DC0-C0729-C803-49-C0-94-E8-970-EAD99-E18

Mason Jones vs Ludovit Klein. Finally, with just a week to go until the show, Mason Jones has been added to the card! A few of us had been saying from the time this card was announced that Jones was one of the biggest glaring omissions. Especially because he hasnā€™t fought since October. Heā€™s been due a fight for some time and this card seemed like the most obvious for him. All is right with the world now. Heā€™s 11-1-0-1 now, 7 finishes, former Cage Warriors champ. He came in as one of the hottest prospects on the UK scene but he didnā€™t get off to an ideal start in the UFC. He suffered his first loss in his Octagon debut, losing on points to Mike Davis. Then he had the eye poke No Contest against Alan Patrick in a fight heā€™d been bossing. He finally got that elusive UFC win last time out, beating late replacement David Onama by decision. All 3 were really fun fights and, at 27 years old, heā€™s got some time and the potential to make a splash. Heā€™s in the Lightweight division though so good luck with that! Klein was scheduled to fight Ignacio Bahamondes at UFC 277 a week after this show but Bahamondes was forced out with visa problems. I was gutted about that because Iā€™ve become a fan of Bahamondes but this is a cracker as well. Fair play to Klein, heā€™s not afraid to accept a tough fight. First Bahamondes, now Jones on a weekā€™s notice? Some balls. Heā€™s 27 as well, from Slovakia and has a very respectable 18-4 record with 16 finishes. Heā€™s already had a couple of setbacks in the UFC but heā€™s dangerous and has some brutal knockouts on his resume. Great addition to the card.

Ā 

C52873-B1-5725-413-C-9719-C8-F4-FD00617-

Marc Diakiese vs Damir Hadzovic. Might be decent. I quite like Diakiese and have mostly enjoyed his fights when Iā€™ve watched him. Heā€™s struggled to put a proper win streak together but heā€™s usually in solid fights. His last one against Slava Claus was unexpectedly dull though. I was excited for that fight going in but Diakiese opted to just outwrestle Slav the whole fight, en route to a disappointing but clear cut points win.

DB16-C6-BE-524-C-43-D3-B82-C-0-F02-A65-C

Not knocking him at all though. Borshchev was known as a striker but untested in the grappling. Diakiese going down the path of least resistance made sense. Plus, it was the last fight on Diakieseā€™s contract. Had he lost that night, I probably wouldnā€™t be previewing a fight of his on this card now. Heā€™d most likely have been gone. He fought smart, got the W, signed a new multi-fight contract and heā€™s back on home soil for this one. Fair play to him. I have kind of vague memories of Hadzovic but I remember kind of liking him. Heā€™s 14-6 and beat Yancy Medeiros in his last fight but that was a whole year ago now. Heā€™s no world beater but no pushover either.

Ā 

1-B0-AD857-F040-49-B4-9-F21-E66-B24-BB1-

Nathaniel Wood vs Charles Rosa is a nice little matchup. Glad to see they finally got Wood on the card. I remember there was quite a bit of excitement when he signed his UFC contract back in 2018. Heā€™d been one of the better prospects on the UK scene for some time at that point and I think everyone had high hopes. It started well with him rattling off 3 submissions his first 3 fights in. But the TKO loss to John Dodson in early 2020 derailed him. He rebounded with a points win over John Castaneda but then lost a decision to Casey Kenney in October 2020 and hasnā€™t fought since. Heā€™s still only 28 but 2 years out is never ideal. Heā€™s been pencilled in for a couple of fights but theyā€™ve kept falling apart. Heā€™s had some awful luck. Hopefully this one stays intact. Itā€™s been too long. Heā€™s moving up to Featherweight for this as well so itā€™ll be interesting to see how he looks in a new division. Rosaā€™s 35 years old, 14-7 and coming off a couple of decision losses. Heā€™s tough and usually game for a scrap but heā€™s a guy Iā€™d expect Wood to be beating. The layoff is always a question mark though.

Ā 

98447-E58-CE70-4563-AB9-E-23853-BB06-F76

Makwan Amirkhani vs Jonathan Pearce. No real opinion on this but it might be alright. Amirkhani is 17-7 with 13 finishes. Came into the UFC back in 2015 with a stunning 8 second flying knee KO over Andy Ogle but has never fully realised the potential many thought he had back then. He got a quick submission win over Mike Grundy in his last fight in March, snapping a 3 fight losing streak. So thereā€™s that. I just think the moment for him to really make a mark has come and gone now. Canā€™t remember much of Pearce. My main memory is when Joe Lauzon steamrolled him in about 90 seconds a few years back. In fairness, heā€™s since dropped to 145 and gone 3-0 with finishes over Kai Kamaka and Omar Morales. Itā€™s just there really but could be a pleasant surprise.

Ā 

1909-E29-D-542-A-4-ED7-BCBF-DF983-A2-AA9

Muhammad Mokaev vs Charles Johnson is ***WANDā€™S ONE TO WATCH***Ā this time. Really looking forward to this. Mokaev is one of the more exciting prospects in the game right now. And certainly one of the best prospects to rep the UK. Heā€™s from Dagestan originally but came to the UK as a refugee when he was a kid. Heā€™s 21 years old now (turns 22 a week after this show) and is unbeaten at 7-0-0-(1 NC) so far in MMA. He also racked up a 22-0 amateur MMA record and was competing in different grappling competitions as well. Heā€™s been busy. Iā€™d been hearing his name and followed him on Twitter a while back, watched highlights and stuff but never got a proper look at him until his UFC debut on the last London show in March. He faced Cody Durden, a horrible little racist cretin who was talking all kinds of shite going in.

image.gif.c33c89182ed3aad73a6fa40692522ab6.gif

And Mokaev breezed through him in just 58 seconds, decking him with a flying knee before sinking in the choke. About as satisfying as it gets and a perfect debut on the big stage for Mokaev. Of course, after an introduction like that, people were buzzing about his potential. Itā€™s early days yet but whatever happens from here, heā€™s had quite a start to his career. And he called it 4 years before!

A4248203-7006-487-F-89-EB-6-CAD27-E69-DE

Mystic Mokaev predicts these things. When Charles Johnson was announced as his next opponent I did a bit of digging. From bits Iā€™m reading it sounds like he might be a bit of a handful himself. 31 years old with a record of 11-2 and 8 finishes. He won the LFA belt in his last fight with a 5th round stoppage. So despite not having a ton of fights, heā€™s got 5 round experience and is still dangerous late in fights. Heā€™s also gone 3 rounds with Brandon Royval back in 2018, a losing effort but Royvalā€™s a higher level of opposition than anyone Mokaevā€™s been in with so far. I read Johnson was originally being lined up for the next season of DWCS but this fight popped up and he jumped on it. Could be a tough one for Mokaev but weā€™ll see.

Ā 

0-E1-D3-CFC-0457-4-A36-8-C86-219-BB90-E2

Jai Herbert vs Kyle Nelson is an OK fight. Iā€™m hoping Herbert can get back on track here. He signed with the UFC back in 2020 and at the time he was 10-1 and the Cage Warriors champ. Heā€™s gone 1-3 in the Octagon though. Heā€™s got some nasty striking but for whatever reason, he just hasnā€™t been able to put the wins together on the big stage. He fought Ilia Topuria on the last London show in March and got laid out in the second round. He gave a great account of himself before that though, to be fair. He had a strong first round, probably the best heā€™s looked so far in the UFC for me. And against his toughest opponent. He absolutely cracked Topuria with a headkick that I was amazed didnā€™t end the fight there and thenā€¦

image.gif.b87fbe3defdbcfbfe9ce69608e5b611a.gif

I mean, fuck me. How Topuria not only absorbed that but came back to knock Herbert out the following round was nuts. It was a really good fight. But once again, Herbert came out on the losing end. This is a fight he badly needs to win if heā€™s gonna stick around, and probably should win. Nelson is 13-4, heā€™s also 1-3 in the UFC but heā€™s been out of action since 2020. From my vague memory of him he wasnā€™t terrible but he wasnā€™t anything special either. If Herbert comes out like he did against Topuria he really should be winning this one. Weā€™ll see.

Ā 

46-B01-F30-EEE9-4808-A75-D-B1-F7-AAF52-C

Mandy Bohm vs Victoria Leonardo. Doing nothing for me this. Screams curtain jerker. Bohmā€™s 32, from Germany and has a record of 7-1-0-1. She dropped a decision to Ariane Lipski in her UFC debut in September. Leonardo is also 32, from New Jersey (Sopranos country!) and 8-4. Sheā€™s fought twice in the UFC and got battered both times by Manon Fiorot and Melissa Gatto. Itā€™s got the feel of them feeding Bohm a body to me.

Ā 

5-B4-E198-B-343-E-41-F3-9-EC2-FC98068-F7

Nicolas Dalby vs Claudio Silva. OK fight, canā€™t say Iā€™m particularly arsed about it but itā€™ll do. Dalbyā€™s 19-4-0-2. Went to a draw in a really good fight against Darren Till at the start of Tillā€™s UFC run. Had that mad bloodbath against Ross Houston in Cage Warriors that was ruled a No Contest because the canvas was so blood soaked it was deemed unsafe. Has beat Alex Oliveira and Daniel Rodriguez on points but lost his last fight against Tim Means. Thatā€™s about it. Silvaā€™s a BJJ black-belt, 14-3 in MMA and coming off back-to-back losses. Before that heā€™d been on a nice winning streak, with the highlight being his decision win over Leon Edwards back in 2014! But he fought sporadically with big gaps of inactivity sprinkled throughout his career. At 39 years old now, and coming off a couple of losses, I think itā€™s safe to say the shipā€™s sailed. His grappling is nothing to sleep on but Dalby really has no excuse to not be winning this fight in 2022.

Ā 

Thatā€™s your lot. There are a bunch of fighters Iā€™m surprised arenā€™t on this card, to be honest. Arnold Allen is the big glaring omission for me but I think theyā€™re lining him up for the Paris card. Jack Shore is literally fighting the week before as well, which I find a bit odd. Aside from them, youā€™ve got Lerone Murphy, Mason Jones, Nathaniel Wood, Jake Hadley, Joanne Wood? I know you canā€™t get everyone on one card but Iā€™d like to have seen a couple of them on there. Should be good though.Ā 

DA8E10F0-B8BE-41FD-8A9E-FD2301DDBE4D.gif

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

The Nathaniel Wood omission is a really weird one when you consider his last fight was on the previous London card and was cancelled due to his opponent pulling out at the last minute.

• Paid Members

pretty sure Mason Jones is getting added to this too.

I'm not sure if I prefer this or the March card, I may lean towards this actually. If they'd put the Shore/Simon fight on here it wouldn't even be a discussion.

• Paid Members
14 hours ago, Chunk said:

The Nathaniel Wood omission is a really weird one when you consider his last fight was on the previous London card and was cancelled due to his opponent pulling out at the last minute.

Wood was on about moving up to Featherweight recently and looking at his Twitter just now, I see heā€™s been posting a lot of training videos and hints that heā€™ll be on this card. Just saw this as wellā€¦

So theyā€™re trying to make a fight for him. And this card is the obvious destination so maybe thereā€™s an announcement coming.

6 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

pretty sure Mason Jones is getting added to this too.

I'm not sure if I prefer this or the March card, I may lean towards this actually. If they'd put the Shore/Simon fight on here it wouldn't even be a discussion.

Yeah, Mason Jones wants on the card apparently. I hope he gets added it seems like ages since he last fought. The clock is ticking though. The show is only 6 weeks away now.

I like this card a lot but I still think Marchā€™s was a bit better. The main event here is stronger but I liked Allen vs Hooker a lot more than Hermansson vs Till as co-main. Plus you had Topuria on there, Gunnarā€™s return, Jack Shore and Mokaevā€™s debut on top of the Aspinall and Pimblett buzz. And it delivered so big that Iā€™m not sure this card can match it. Adding Jones and Wood fights would definitely be a boost though.Ā 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

And itā€™s starting. Tillā€™s out.

Edit - that was quick. According to the UFCā€™s website, Chris Curtis is stepping in.

994012-CD-39-FC-4403-A030-C58-B9-ADEBF08

I think thatā€™s actually a better fight. I donā€™t really enjoy watching Till fight much anyway, to be honest. Nice to see a guy like Curtis getting this opportunity as well.Ā 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Updated the poll and opening post for Hermansson vs Curtis.

The more I think about it, this is a much better fight. For one, I think itā€™ll be better to watch than the Till fight wouldā€™ve been. But also, that Till fight wouldā€™ve just been a cold ā€˜two guys coming off lossesā€™ matchup. Now itā€™s got the intrigue of Curtis getting his breakthrough opportunity but with the twist that heā€™s taken it on short notice. And even from Hermanssonā€™s side, a win over an active and surging Curtis whoā€™s on an 8 fight winning streak surely does more for him than beating Till whoā€™s been losing and looking flabby and sloppy at 185. Thereā€™s just more to it now.Ā 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

The only reason i'd prefer the Till fight would because it would be make for a great atmosphere in front of that crowd. Till has gone to shit, but he's still probably the most popular fighter in the country.

• Paid Members

I definitely get that but thereā€™ll be plenty of UK fighters elsewhere on the card that will bring the atmosphere. And if the bout order stays as it is, Hermansson vs Curtis is falling right between those Pimblett and Aspinall fights so the crowd might need a bit of a break then anyway.Ā 

• Paid Members

Till's an odd one for me. Magic, you said it best a while back when you said he's stuck in that weird limbo of being simultaneously overrated and underrated. I don't think he's done much - by way of improvement, anyway - since the jump to 185 and he's not as entertaining in there as he likes to think he is, or sells himself as being.Ā 

When I see his name now, I just say "Ah sure, there he is, now"...and that's it. Nothing of any note either side of my thought process.Ā