UFC 276: Adesanya vs Cannonier - Jul 2 🇺🇸

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

14 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I've only just watched the show as I was away this weekend.

I wasn't vocal about it before but I was certain Strickland would blitz through Perriera, I haven't been that impressed by what I have seen of his few UFC fights so far. I was 100% wrong, Alex looked incredible and him vs Izzy is a no brainer now.

That main event was really dull, you knew after round 1 that this had a nervy decision written all over it, I love Izzy as a fighter and as a person but like Wand said, he has been involved in a lot of duds during his time at the top.

Bald Volk is incredible, if he stays at FW I would like to see Cejudo challenge him, if he can beat Cejudo then he should move up and fight the lightweight champion. I would like the vacant title to get decided before Volk fights for the belt, I think Champ vs Champ is much better and a better sell than Champ vs Number 1 contender for the vacant belt.

No take downs in all 5 main card fights is an incredible stat!

• Paid Members

Strickland's was asking to be knocked out. I think the idea was to go in and prove he could stand in the pocket with a killer because thats what he did, and he paid for it. 

I had a feeling Volk was levelling up. Incredible, he's p4p for me now. Featherweight GOAT too, nailed on for me. What a guy.

I'll echo @wandshogun09about Adesanya. He's winning comfortably but its all just lacking something. Its crazy how everyone just gets lulled into fighting Izzy's fight too. There's obviously skill and gameplanning leading to that but its frustrating seeing fighters continually play into his hands.

Edited by Egg Shen

I think the commentators made a fair point in that it seems that Izzy's opponents seem to get mesmerised by him. Its following the Anderson Silva path of his fights not being that enjoyable, but you can see that the level in class is on another level. We just need to wait for Izzy's Chael Sonnen to appear. No mention of Izzy's Undertaker entrance yet either, which I thought was tremendous.

Funny you mentioned Nick Diaz, Wand, as thats EXACTLY what I was thinking during the Lawler fight. Specifically I was thinking that this fight was super similar to the Diaz/Scott Smith fight. I also was thinking of the Gomi fight. Was very sad to see Lawler be the Scott Smith of the equation. He was landing, but I had the sense early on that Lawler couldnt win this fire fight, which years ago would of been unthinkable. Age, combined with less power, combined with a more fragile jaw isnt a good combination.

Du Plessis is a mad man, and fantastic to watch. His gas tank must be absolutley insane, as if a regular fighter had unloaded that many bombs in R1, they would have been mince meat by the middle of R2. That he kept consistently throwing 100% effort bombs all the way through the fight is crazy.

Edit: To be fair to Rogan, Ill usually jump on him to say how shit hes become, but whether its because hes not there that often these days, I didnt actually mind him on this show. Him and DC make a fairly solid team.

Also, that picture of Max's cut that youve used, Wand, doesnt really do it justice, as it was absolutley disgusting. The whole cotton bud went into the cut, which was crazy.

Edited by Dai

• Paid Members
13 hours ago, Dai said:

Du Plessis is a mad man, and fantastic to watch. His gas tank must be absolutley insane, as if a regular fighter had unloaded that many bombs in R1, they would have been mince meat by the middle of R2. That he kept consistently throwing 100% effort bombs all the way through the fight is crazy.

i don't think i've ever seen anyone quite like him, he looks absolutely knackered throughout the whole thing but kept throwing massive power shots. His technique is all over the place and he seems to be carrying way too much muscle, but what's a handful. He's gonna be one of those guys that certain fighters just won't be able to handle because he's so unorthodox, add in his power and he's a problem.

Did anyone see the Embedded shows in the lead up to this event? O'Malley flying in on a private jet, being picked up by a red Bentley, driving around in a pink Ferrari or whatever.

Dude is throwing a lot of cash around considering he makes $300,000 per fight. It's this kind of attitude that will see him having to throw hands in bare-knuckle events when he's forty.

• Paid Members

Hasn't O'Malley stated that he makes more money away from fighting than he does in fighting? 

I may be wrong but I get the impression that away from the influencer type front he puts on, O'Malley is a pretty grounded guy, i'd imagine the jet, bentley, clothing etc. are fronted by sponsorships and whatnot, the guy does big numbers on social media.

8 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

Hasn't O'Malley stated that he makes more money away from fighting than he does in fighting? 

I may be wrong but I get the impression that away from the influencer type front he puts on, O'Malley is a pretty grounded guy, i'd imagine the jet, bentley, clothing etc. are fronted by sponsorships and whatnot, the guy does big numbers on social media.

Unless he has someone or some company basically giving him all of his expensive watches, cars, jets, and so forth? He's spending money he doesn't really have. That's part of the problem that was started by the likes of Mayweather and continued by guys like McG. Now anyone who wants to be seen as a breakthrough star has to be seen to be throwing cash around on all of this shit.

There's no way he's earning anywhere near enough both in fighting and away from it to be living that lifestyle. He's another guy who's going to end up bankrupt and broke by the time he's in his late 40's.

Edited by David

• Paid Members

Maybe he's not living that lifestyle though? away from the camera's and public appearances he might be pretty low key? he's a part of this weird influencer social media culture that portrays things a certain way, the actually reality of how he's living might be the complete opposite. 

I'm speculating of course.

22 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

Maybe he's not living that lifestyle though? away from the camera's and public appearances he might be pretty low key? he's a part of this weird influencer social media culture that portrays things a certain way, the actually reality of how he's living might be the complete opposite. 

I'm speculating of course.

Yeah, he strikes me as a bit of a div really. I wouldn't have pinpointed him as the type who dyes his hair pink, wears ridiculous "bling" watches, flies in private jets etc, while secretly he has a nice savings account and is putting money away for his retirement.

• Paid Members

O'Malley's actual career is on a strange trajectory though isn't it? the two times he's really stepped up the fight has ended in strange fashion. He'll probably get another 2-3 easy touches again now.

• Paid Members
23 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

He'll probably get another 2-3 easy touches again now.

It’ll be bollocks if he does. Especially as the narrative being spun is that he was wrecking Munhoz before the eye poke. If that was true then he should surely get a tougher fight next if anything. O’Malley’s ranked #13 now. Of the names ranked above him, who aren’t already booked, the options would be;

1) Rematch with Pedro Munhoz. This’d be my pick. 

2) Petr Yan. No chance they book that! And to be fair, that one is too soon for Suga.

3) Rob Font. He is coming off a bad beating so maybe O’Malley would actually fancy it at the minute. 

Or 4) Frankie Edgar. Ahh fuck. They’ll do that won’t they? 😞

If he insists on fighting someone below him in the rankings, I’d be well up for him against Adrian Yanez.