UFC 276: Adesanya vs Cannonier - Jul 2 🇺🇸

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

14 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Yeah, same. I’m more than happy to lose Tate vs Murphy if it means everything else stays intact. To be honest, I’m not arsed if it even gets rebooked or not. I’ve seen conflicting reports though, some saying the fight will get pushed back to the Long Island card on the 16th, others saying the UFC are hoping to find a replacement and keep Tate on the card. If I was Tate I wouldn’t take a replacement now just days out from the show. We’ve seen in the past how these last minute replacements can fuck the script up and Tate really can’t afford to be losing a fight to some newcomer off the regional scene or something.

I’ve read a few times recently, people talking about Tate getting a title shot against Shevchenko if she would’ve beat Murphy. It wouldn’t exactly shock me, Tate’s a name for Shev to fight. But it’d be ridiculous. She hasn’t even made weight at Flyweight yet, let alone won a fight. And surely Taila Santos is due an immediate rematch given how close she ran the champ.

As for bumping a fight to the main card, they’ve got a few options with a card this deep. Garry vs Green or Lawler vs Barberena would make the most sense. But I could see them going with Cerrone vs Miller as well. Especially with them briefly putting it on the PPV bit when it was first announced. 

On 6/22/2022 at 7:40 PM, wandshogun09 said:

Yeah I love Holloway, he absolutely deserves this shot and I still think he’s got a better chance than most. But…I’m still favouring Volk. I think he just has Holloway’s number. 

Here's a question. If Holloway wins a close close decision, do they "run it back" again? Or is it only Holloway who get's constant rematches when he loses?

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, David said:

Here's a question. If Holloway wins a close close decision, do they "run it back" again? Or is it only Holloway who get's constant rematches when he loses?

I’d be fine with that. And I think if it was a close one like you say, they’d have to. Unless Volkanovski somehow got completely outclassed this time or something mad, he’s done enough to warrant an immediate rematch no question. 

And I’ve got zero issue with Holloway getting the rematch this time. Since he last fought Volk, the performance against Kattar was outstanding and then he beat Yair in a classic that was either FOTY last year or the runner up behind Gaethje vs Chandler. The only rematch he had that I felt wasn’t warranted was the initial immediate rematch after he lost to Volk the first time. That’s literally the only gripe I have with this Volk vs Max series. From my memory that first fight wasn’t controversial at all and I think I had Volk winning 3 or 4 of the rounds. The rematch turned out to be a close one but I still had Volk winning. But I never felt like that rematch was warranted at the time. 

As for this fight tomorrow though, Max deserves it. He hasn’t just been gifted a title shot for no reason. And it’s not like he’s blocking a more deserving challenger from getting their rightful shot either. These are the current Featherweight rankings as of today;

41-E98411-6-E76-48-CE-A851-CCA73-FF21102

Of that lot, Ortega just lost to Volkanovski and Yair just lost to Max, so they’re out of the running for now. Zombie’s also just lost to Volk. Chikadze got battered by Kattar in January and hasn’t fought since. And Allan, Mitchell and Evloev are just starting to get in the mix, have all just had their first ‘step up’ wins and need to get back in there. There’s Emmett who’s the highest ranked fresh opponent coming off a win but he hadn’t yet beaten Kattar when Volk vs Max 3 was made.

There’s no better option than Holloway for the title shot right now. In terms of who’s deserving and who can maybe give Volko any kind of real test. Of course his popularity and being such a fan favourite doesn’t hurt but I don’t think there’s anyone who should’ve got the shot over him this time. No problems with this, in fact I can’t wait to see them in there again, how they approach it, any adjustments they’ve made etc. I’m actually struggling to think of a UFC title fight where both fighters were on a higher level than these two. They’re legitimately two of the greatest of all time. I’m not gonna complain about getting to see them square off again. 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Maybe not but you know how it works. This is a company that’s probably gonna give Conor McGregor a title shot on his return despite him being 1-3 in the division since 2016, coming off back-to-back losses, being left one legged and inactive well over a year. And even taking McGregor out of the equation because I get that his name being involved brings a whole different discussion and set of rules. The UFC just bum rematches. And there’s been much worse than doing Volk vs Max again. They ran Zhang vs Namajunas back despite Zhang getting headkicked into oblivion in 2 minutes the first time. And don’t forget they were all set on doing Figgy vs Moreno 4 until recently. And that wouldn’t have been just a fourth fight between those two, it would’ve been 4 consecutive fights against each other. There’s probably a bunch of other examples just in recent years that I’m not thinking of right now. At least here there’s been a 2 year gap and Volkanovski and Holloway have both beat a couple of different guys in between. 

Edited by wandshogun09