UFC Austin: Kattar vs Emmett - Jun 18 🇺🇸

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

7 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Yeah it was class. Agreed about them probably doing alright against the top boys at 155 as well. And bear in mind, this was a Kutateladze coming off a 2 year layoff as well. If he’d been active in that time I have no doubt he’d be at least where Tsarukyan and Gamrot are now, headlining a card and being on the cusp of getting into contender fights. Ismagulov as well.

With how 155 is though, I think they’re both gonna be waiting a while like we’ve seen with others in that division in the past. Lightweight is such a great division but it’s so slow moving when it comes to new blood getting their chance to break into that upper level. It seems like 155, more than any other division, has mostly became a merry go round of the same 4 or 5 names all facing each other and it’s hard for a newer face to get a look in. Even Oliveira now calling to defend his title against McGregor. I totally get why he’s doing it, it’s the biggest fight for the biggest cheque and it’s very winnable for him at this stage. I don’t blame Oliveira at all. But it does muddy the waters. Then you’ve got people making the argument that Chandler should get another crack at it because of that Ferguson KO. But while the knockout was incredible, everyone declared Ferguson shot a while back. A win over that version of Fergie shouldn’t grant Chandler a title shot, should it? Especially when Chandler had lost his previous 2 fights, and one of them being to Oliveira already. And no doubt if we get something like Poirier vs Gaethje 2 (and I’m all for that), the winner of that will be clamouring for another shot. All exciting fighters to watch and I wanna see them all fight each other but this getting another title shot off one win thing (or no wins in McGregor’s case) needs to fuck off now for me. I’d understand if it was a division like Heavyweight where it’s really lacking depth and fresh challengers but 155 is heaving with amazing fighters. Right now we’ve got the likes of Makhachev, Dariush, Tsarukyan, Gamrot, Kutateladze, Ismagulov etc etc either ready for the shot now or will be in 2-3 fights time. I’m not saying to freeze all those established names out completely but it doesn’t hurt to mix it up a bit.

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Yeah, 155lb is typically one of the UFC's glamour divisions, so for guys like Ismagulov and Kutakeladze have a long hard road to the top.  You also know that no one holding a top 15 placing is gonna want anything to do with fighting either of those guys. 

• Paid Members

Yeah it’s the old risk vs reward thing at that point. The way in seems to be to try to catch one of the bigger names coming off a loss when they’re just trying to get back in the win column and more willing to take a fight outside those big names. That was the breakthrough for Charles Oliveira when he bagged the Tony Ferguson fight after Ferguson had lost to Gaethje. If you beat one of those names impressively, you’re pretty much in. But it’s getting one of them to fight you in the first place that’s the challenge. 

On 6/18/2022 at 9:25 AM, Egg Shen said:

we definitely need to attract a few new posters to the forum

Long time lurker so thought this was a good time to contribute as I love reading this forum and it’s my go to place for news etc. Wands right ups are always top notch, great work and dedication! 

Edited by Bruce85