UFC Vegas: Volkov vs Rozenstruik - Jun 4 🇺🇸

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

7 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Yeah, Menifield was asked about it yesterday. Talks about the weird record stuff around 3 minutes in;

The more I hear and read about this Mozharov character, I think this fight should’ve been my ‘one to watch’. It’s definitely the fight I’ve become most intrigued by during fight week anyway. Feels like one of those fights that’s either gonna be 2 minutes of craziness or 15 minutes of weirdness, no in between. 

• Paid Members

There's been a few recently. You've got Mozharov, but you also had the weird Dean Barry story, and the return of Mike Jackson. Just strange moves from the UFC, but I fully back. Give me these intriguing debuts over 75% of the no hopers that come in via the Contender Series.

More weird shit!

• Paid Members

our man made weight:

20220604_082213.thumb.jpg.c1f5a26252699689d18cb6e75209fe3c.jpg

I dont know if it was the week or what? but im well up for the show tonight.

here's your customary fight card graphic...

20220604_082138.thumb.jpg.8edc9de9f85104c78d8670eeee2d1451.jpg

and confirmation of tonight's early start time...

FUWhl76WAAAQAc_.jpg.4ef42b74524112ba64611469a9f907c6.jpg

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Only tuned in for the spectacle of the Mozharov fight and I'm not sure what I expected but it was probably something similar to what we got. Amazed that it's 2022 and they're signing a guy with the kind of fight record fraud you'd expect to read about after you've coughed up a fiver for Astro's patreon.

• Paid Members

Wasn’t a bad show at all in the end. I don’t think it was just the 2 week break we’ve had either. This was genuinely better than I expected.

Volkov vs Rozenstruik was short and sweet. Well, I say sweet, I wanted Rozey to win but it was a fun few minutes. Rozenstruik was going for it but Volkov got the better of it in the end. Seen mixed reactions to the stoppage and it was one of them where if you’re Rozenstruik, I can see why you’d think it was early. But I didn’t have a problem with it myself. It didn’t seem like a storm Rozenstruik was gonna weather and Volkov was in prime position to just keep unloading on him if Herb Dean never stepped in when he did. Nice way to rebound for the big man but Christ, he’s got to be one of the most boring interviews ever. I know English isn’t his first language and Russians aren’t exactly known for being animated or charismatic at the best of times. That monotonous tone though.

Evloev vs Ige was a bit of a different fight than I expected. Still a clear Evloev win but he stood with Ige a lot more than I thought he would. Didn’t look bad in the striking either, to be fair to him. I had him down as pretty much 100% wrestling but even seeing some of the clips they used in the pre-fight video packages throughout the night, he strikes more than I remember. This fight especially though, he seemed more up for the striking exchanges than I recall in the past. That one jumping knee was pretty sweet actually.

1547-D479-7-A8-A-4644-8117-1-CCA62-BDA30

Ige did well to stay in it after that. It’ll be interesting to see what’s next for Evloev. 16-0 now, goes to decisions a fair bit but this was far from boring. I liked his callout of Arnold Allen as well. That’s an intriguing fight. Can’t see it ending up on the London card like Evloev wants though. I’m sure there was a reason for Allen not being on the London card, I think he’s been rumoured for the Paris show in September. Evloev vs Allen in Paris would do nicely though. That under Gane vs Tuivasa and Whittaker vs Vettori would be a pretty strong top 3. Failing that, I saw some people on Twitter suggesting Evloev vs Bryce Mitchell, I’d be all over that as well. There’s options.

Lucas Almeida vs Mike Trizano was a real good scrap. A fight I went into with absolutely zero expectations and it turned out to be the FOTN. This is a fight I’d have almost certainly just skimmed through if this card wasn’t on so early. But I ended up leaving it on and it was good stuff.

image.gif.2c5aa6989bc07172f59f2cb1a296965b.gif

Almeida with the third round finish. I’ll definitely be keeping an eye out for him going forward. First time seeing him and he made quite a first impression.

Speaking of first impressions, I really liked Karine Silva. Botelho is nothing special but she’s always had good striking and Silva didn’t shy away at all there despite giving up some size. Then ended it with the D’Arce inside a round.

image.gif.66d9fece0335cf86141a8fc94638c444.gif

D211-FD4-F-F7-CD-4-E6-F-9644-9-B2-C49-E4

Nice debut. Marcel Dorff tweeted something that Silva said she was completely broke coming into this fight as well so it was nice to see she got the POTN bonus here. I like her. Much needed new blood in the Flyweight division.

Ode Osbourne

image.gif.e34774fb265416ac687f5fb12c074661.gif

Adashev was gone in 60 seconds. Got to think that’s it for Adashev in the UFC. He drops to 4-4 now, 1-3 in the UFC and has lost 3 of his last 4. It’s just not happening. Ode looked great the short time it lasted though. He’s had mixed results in the UFC himself but even in a few of the losses he’s looked a bit of a handful. Always enjoy watching him.

Menifield vs Mozharov became the ‘peoples main event’ going in and it was a lively enough round of action. Mozharov got found out in the end but I actually hope they keep him around for a little bit. He’s clearly not got the kind of skill set where he’s gonna flourish in the UFC but if nothing else he was game and fully committing in the standup and there are some potentially fun brawls to be made with him. If I’m Sean Shelby or Mick Maynard, I’m on the phone today trying to make a Mozharov vs Ion Cutelaba fight happen. Can you fucking imagine that shit? 😂

This was honestly my favourite moment of the entire card though…

962-A0-EF7-EC2-F-4-AC7-B8-A9-35625-C835-

4-F449135-50-AA-4173-A9-DB-F5313-A35758-

Karolina Kowalkiewicz finally snapping that horrible 5 fight losing streak. She looked good as well, way better than she has in a long time. Although some of that was probably down to Felice Herrig being on the way out herself. That’s where I think people need to put this in perspective. Herrig was retiring here. As nice as it was to see Karolina get the win, and look good doing it, this doesn’t mean ‘she’s back’ in the sense of being a contender again or anything. Just like when Miesha Tate came back last year and beat a 45 year old retiring Marion Reneau and people started talking title shots. I’m still not convinced Kowalkiewicz is back back. But regardless, this was lovely to see. She took some of those losses over the past few years really hard. It was well documented and it took a lot out of her mentally and physically with the eye injury etc. Happy to see her get not just a win here, but a finish and a really strong performance. You could see how big a deal it was when she was screaming post-fight. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a fighter so emotional/relieved after a win.

Didn’t catch everything off the prelims because we had family stuff going on. From bits I’ve caught up on though, Rinat Fakhretdinov had a solid debut, picked up a clear decision win. Tony Gravely got a nice quick KO. I missed the Molina vs Zhumagulov fight though, I need to watch that at some point today.

Oh, last thing, it was great to see Oleg Taktarov there last night cornering Volkov and Fakhretdinov. This fucker competed at UFC 5 and Pride 1!

B34DEDD0-7E3D-4A1A-A606-6F0CE1E300E9.jpeg

• Paid Members

This ended up being a good little show.

Echo pretty much everything wand. said, there was good stuff all over the show.

Mozharov did enough to warrant me wanting to see him again. He looks abit of a nutcase on the feet, hopefully the UFC match him correctly, there's some fun to be had there. That Cutelaba shout is perfect @wandshogun09

Not so sure about the stoppage in the main event. Felt Herb was a little eager to step in, you could argue he saved Rozenstruik getting KO'd but he was looking to step in the second anyone was hurt. Volkov is having a strange old run at heavyweight.

Evolev is a danger man at 145. He's gonna be top 10 now but I can't imagine anyone above him wanting that fight, he's good everywhere. I think that's Ige's time as a top ranked 145lb'er over too. He's a level behind those top guys now and it's not good the amount of damage he's shipping in these losses. He's too tough for his own good.

And yeah, great seeing Oleg Taktarov in the corner! what a legend.

4 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

Not so sure about the stoppage in the main event. Felt Herb was a little eager to step in, you could argue he saved Rozenstruik getting KO'd but he was looking to step in the second anyone was hurt. Volkov is having a strange old run at heavyweight.

The problem was, Rozenstruik was taking unanswered shots while sliding down the cage, and wasn't defending himself. It was a good stoppage in all honesty. Was it maybe three seconds too soon? Maybe, but all that did was prevent Bigi Boy from taking more damage. He wasn't getting up from that position.

• Paid Members

Yeah, i've watched it back and can see where Herb was coming from. If you're gonna air on the side of caution Herb was probably right, but considering Rozenstruik stood up and stepped away as the stoppage game he probably could have gone on. As a high stakes main event, i think he could have let it go. Volkov might have stopped him in the next sequence but you never know.