WWE/AEW commentator trade

RalphyV2

Ross for literally anyone, I just don't think AEW needs him now and he's often a detriment to the shows. He was a good initial get to say "hey, we have the voice of wrestling!" but we all know that's really big Tone.

While I'm not sure there'd be any benefit to WWE having Jim Ross at this stage of this career, I'd be interested to see how Michael Cole would do in the AEW environment. I used to enjoy the Cole/Taz pairing back in the early 2000s, and he also had good chemistry with JBL, back when they were on Smackdown together. I also thought he did a great job in the WWE UK shows, a few years ago. I suspect he'd make a noticeable positive difference to AEW, although I think you'd need to give him someone to bounce off for maximum benefit - perhaps going with a Cole/Taz/Schiavone combination, and make Excalibur exclusive to Rampage.

• Paid Members

I'd genuinely love to hear Michael Cole outside of a WWE environment, so I'd trade him for Mark Henry who unfortunately just isn't very good and also seems to drag Paul Wight (who is otherwise decent) down with him.

• Paid Members
23 minutes ago, Lorne Malvo said:

I'd genuinely love to hear Michael Cole outside of a WWE environment, so I'd trade him for Mark Henry who unfortunately just isn't very good and also seems to drag Paul Wight (who is otherwise decent) down with him.

Michael Cole doesn’t have the gravitas to bellow, “There’s been enough talk. It’s time for the Main Event” like Mark Henry.

There’s too much WWE stink on Michael Cole, I think. He’s too ingrained in memory of all the things I hated about WWE and why I don’t bother with it anymore, even if he’s just a focal point for their incessant bullshit rather than the cause of it. 

JR to WWE on a free transfer, please. ASAP. 

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, RedRooster said:

While I'm not sure there'd be any benefit to WWE having Jim Ross at this stage of this career, I'd be interested to see how Michael Cole would do in the AEW environment. I used to enjoy the Cole/Taz pairing back in the early 2000s, and he also had good chemistry with JBL, back when they were on Smackdown together. I also thought he did a great job in the WWE UK shows, a few years ago. I suspect he'd make a noticeable positive difference to AEW, although I think you'd need to give him someone to bounce off for maximum benefit - perhaps going with a Cole/Taz/Schiavone combination, and make Excalibur exclusive to Rampage.

Cole & Taz dicking around on Dark would be a lot of fun. 

• Paid Members

The little glimpses we get suggests Cole and McAfee would have a ball commentating on Dynamite or Rampage, with no script.

WWE can have Chris Jericho. He’s improved massively since turning heel but any desk would still be better if he wasn’t there.

• Paid Members

How do you suppose Jericho would cope with Vince yammering in his ear? 

Has Mike Tenay retired? He'd be great in AEW instead of JR. I loved when he filled in the background of the wrestlers on Nitro. Mind you he was decent in TNA as well. 

1 hour ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Has Mike Tenay retired? He'd be great in AEW instead of JR. I loved when he filled in the background of the wrestlers on Nitro. Mind you he was decent in TNA as well. 

He retired in 2016 but I think Meltzer was saying recently that AAA were trying to tempt him out of retirement but he declined.

“The English broadcast team for April 30 [AAA TripleMania] will be Lenny Leonard and Larry Dallas. At least we don’t have to worry about the commentary. Both Dallas and Konnan tried to get Mike Tenay out of retirement to do the big shows this year, but he declined. 

“Tenay said that there’s always a chance for him to return, but hasn’t felt it’s the right time or place and is enjoying retirement too much and has no financial concerns. He noted that MLW, GCW and WWE had all contacted him of late as far as possibly announcing for the former two, and to do interviews for documentaries for the latter, but he had turned all of them down.”

• Paid Members

I really don't think I would trade anyone for anyone - I think the commentary is a genuine strength for AEW and if they were to bring anyone else in, I don't think an ex-WWE commentary team is the way to go. Cole, in particular, can fuck right off. I know he's sometimes shown he can be decent when Vince isn't in his ear, but after literal decades of being conditioned to hear him being shit, and how he's clearly gone along with it for those decades, I don't think 'Michael Cole might be a bit better than usual' is a great selling point.

If I'm AEW, I'm paying Excalibur and Taz whatever they want to stay. Best in the business. And I don't watch enough of Elevation to care about the commentary team there.