Three Nights in Turin: Eurovision Song Contest 2022

johnnyboy

• Paid Members

After Maneskin rocked Rotterdam we're in Turin for the Eurovision Song Contest this year.

Time to retune your TVs as the semi-finals are back on BBC Three (now that it's a regular tv channel again) this year.

Semi-Final 1

Tuesday 10th May 2022 at 20:00 on BBC Three

The Beeb have got you sorted for scorecards.

Viewers in the United Kingdom cannot vote in this semi-final.

Seventeen acts will be attempting to be one of the ten that get through to the Grand Final on Saturday 14th May.  (As one of the Big 5 the UK do not have to participate in the semis.)  There would have been 18 acts in this semi until Russia's special military operation led to them eventually being excluded from the competition.

To whet your appetite here's a ten minute sampler of the acts in the first semi:

If you need even more Eurovision to hype you up this year there's an official podcast for the first time.

https://availableon.com/theofficialeurovisionsongcontestpodcast

• Paid Members

Question: are Maneskin the biggest act to make it after winning Eurovision since, say, Celine Dion? In terms of global success that is, I'm sure many of the Eurovision winners have gone on to become big stars in their home nations.

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

Question: are Maneskin the biggest act to make it after winning Eurovision since, say, Celine Dion? In terms of global success that is, I'm sure many of the Eurovision winners have gone on to become big stars in their home nations.

Since Celine, yes.  Had covid not happened Duncan Laurence may have broken a bit bigger as Arcade was fucking massive on TikTok and that but he's playing a smallish venue in London later in the year and Maneskin have already played Coachella and have the o2 booked.

ABBA still remain all time champs.

Edited by johnnyboy

• Paid Members

Yeah I was at the o2 recently and saw they were playing there, no surprise as Beggin and I Wanna Be Your Slave have been monster hits.

I thought the Swedish guy that won several years ago could go on to have a pretty decent career on the EDM scene- it was at a time when Aviici and the likes were having a lot of success. He could have provided vocals for a lot of the big producers at the time. 

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

I thought the Swedish guy that won several years ago could go on to have a pretty decent career on the EDM scene- it was at a time when Aviici and the likes were having a lot of success. He could have provided vocals for a lot of the big producers at the time. 

Probably content being the most gorgeous person on the face of the planet.  Did a great rendition from this front garden in Surrey during the covid replacement show.

Edit: I'm not sure his beauty was reflected in the Unofficial Eurovision Colouring Book.

Img_2022_05_08_12_59_54.jpeg

Edited by johnnyboy

Surely it's obviously going to be Ukraine that wins? All odds pointing towards it and the way the voting usually goes would point to most countries voting for them regardless of song 

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, Doog said:

Surely it's obviously going to be Ukraine that wins?

I'm not saying that Ukraine's is a bad song, but if you start playing the 5th placed 2021 entry at the same time they seem to overlap until the knitted hat rap kicks in.

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I’m still not over Daoi Fryer and the lost 2020 Eurovision title which was there’s for the taking.

And then he missed performing live in 2021 with the germ.  It just wasn't meant to be.

However, he's having a blast touring all over the world so feel free to get HYPER about Eurovision again.

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

Citi Zeni getting bumped was a massive shock.  I was more worried that Armenia wouldn't get through and felt relaxed when she was announced early on.

George Ezra doing the John Lewis Christmas ad getting through just shows that you can't trust people.*

*Or that we have different tastes.

Edited by johnnyboy