UFC Vegas: Font vs Vera - Apr 30 ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

8 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

What an absolute war of a main event. Rob Font's boxing is so good and enjoyable to watch but Chito was able to withstand it all. I had a strong feeling Font would win the first 2 rounds and then Chito would take over. Chito always starts slow and does well in the 3rd so I favoured him over 5 rounds. I didn't expect him to disfigure Font that much and that early on.

Font out struck Aldo and lost to him on points (I think) and also did the same tonight. He needs to change something up so he isn't so reliant on his beautiful boxing.

That post fight interview with Chito and all his family almost caused me to tear up. Tell me that wasn't an ultimate face turn @wandshogun09?! Are you a fan yet?

• Paid Members

Vera vs Font was ace. Funny one because if you go on volume and shots landed then Font was putting out the better quality of the two. And if you based it on time, Font looked better for longer spells of most of the rounds. But Vera damaged him badly pretty much every round after the opener and had him hanging on for dear life at the end of a few of them. Font had a really good first round but after that, there were 2 or 3 of the rounds where Font was winning and then Vera just fucked him up in the last minute and nicked the round. I donโ€™t know whether Font just has a tendency to kind of switch off a bit at the end of the rounds or what but it kept happening. Veraโ€™s not the type of guy you wanna let your guard down against and he made Font pay the price.

B2-BCECDD-7169-4-E02-B8-C0-A05791-A58-EE

FD5587-D7-C055-439-B-8347-E37-F7-AAA3493

Poor prick. Right man definitely won but it was a corker of a fight. Amazed Font actually survived to the final bell, to be honest. Seen a few people suggesting Vera vs Sandhagen now and Iโ€™d be all for that. Great fight. Give us that, Yan vs Dillashaw and Aljo vs Aldo for the strap and thatโ€™ll do me.

On 5/1/2022 at 2:05 PM, Zebra Kid Mark said:

That post fight interview with Chito and all his family almost caused me to tear up. Tell me that wasn't an ultimate face turn @wandshogun09?! Are you a fan yet?

Heโ€™s winning me around.

Always happy to see Arlovski win. Even if the fights themselves arenโ€™t the best. Itโ€™s just mad to see this guy who was fighting before most of us were even watching, and heโ€™s still in there picking up wins. Butโ€ฆgot to say, for all the shit I give fatty Collier, I thought he won this one. Wasnโ€™t like he looked great himself but I felt like he did more than Arlovski. Looking up the reaction the general opinion seems to be that Collier shouldโ€™ve got the nod as well. Iโ€™d say โ€˜Iโ€™ll have to rewatch itโ€™ but Iโ€™ve got no intention to.

Joanderson Brito putting Andre Fili away in 40 odd seconds was a big statement. Especially after an unsuccessful debut earlier in the year. Almost twisted Filiโ€™s head off his neck with the big right hand. Reminded me of that punch Iran Barkley whacked Roberto Duran with in their fight, except Duran somehow ate it. The quick finish here was welcome at that point on the card as well.

Was happy to see Grant Dawson get the late finish over Jared Gordon. He was threatening with that choke in the first and second rounds with the back control but it seemed destined to go to the cards like all Gordon fights seem to. But Dawson finally got the choke with less than a minute left. Dawsonโ€™s on a real strong run at the moment. Hasnโ€™t lost in 10 fights now and heโ€™s finished most of them as well. Crazy how guys this good just get lost in the shuffle, such is the depth of the 155 division.

Elkins vs Connelly wasnโ€™t great. Wasnโ€™t the worst, just never really got going until the last round, which was better. Still, nice to see Elkins win and if anyone deserves a pass for having a less than spectacular fight, itโ€™s Elkins. Nice to see him get out of a fight with his face still intact for once.

Havenโ€™t had to say it in a while but poor Gerald ๐Ÿ˜ž

E7-E0-E82-C-4-B29-4522-BD83-58-A73-E5-D7

And fuck Jotko. There was always the risk itโ€™d go like this. Jotko just has a knack for dragging fighters to the dullest fight of their career and winning lifeless decisions. This was no different. Like I said, the male Katlyn Chookagian. Boring bastards thatโ€™ll stick around on the roster forever because they keeping winning these crappy fights.

Romanov predictably ragdolled Chase Sherman. But fuck me, it was even more of a squash than I expected. That suplex!ย He bloody loves a suplex, doesnโ€™t he? Closest thing to a Steiner Brother the UFC has.

image.gif.20ac3c758f6f0d043daf21d9972950c9.gif

1132197-C-5363-49-B4-972-C-266970-B07-DF

This was just misery for Chase but at least his suffering was mercifully brief. As soon as it hit the mat you knew it wasnโ€™t gonna last much longer and Romanov snatched the arm up quick. I say it every time but Iโ€™m a big fan of this guy. Not claiming heโ€™ll be champ or anything but itโ€™s nice to have a new Heavyweight whoโ€™s actually worth a shit. And he does have a skill set that could cause a lot of the division problems. Liked his callout of Augusto Sakai, that sounds about right. Good stuff.

Figgy 2 busting out the kneebar was pretty cool.

image.gif.33ee459f6010e01fff459cb56d02379f.gif

Wasnโ€™t as pretty as Claudio Puellesโ€™ last week but Iโ€™m liking seeing the leg locks make a comeback.

Really enjoyed that Gabriel Green vs Yohan Lainesse fight as well. Didnโ€™t have any real expectations going in but it was a lot of fun. Lainesse sounded like a decent signing but Green fucking ruined him. That last onslaught where he kept going to the body was vicious. Iโ€™d found him instantly forgettable prior to this but, based on this performance, he might be someone to keep tabs on. They talked on the commentary about his vision problems holding him back in the past and now heโ€™s got that sorted. How good he looked here did back that up so maybe thereโ€™s better to come now he can actually see properly.

Pretty good card all in all and the main event delivered.ย 

• Paid Members

Vera/Font was good stuff. Firepower was the difference. I think those two could have fought 10 times and Font would just have to fight a perfect defence based masterclass to win it, he just didnt seem to have ability to hurt Vera. Font would do well for 3 minutes of a round then completely fall apart in the last 2 when Vera landed a crazy kick or knee.

Id love to see Vera/Yan.

• Paid Members

Yeah, I think power is what lets Font down more than anything. Heโ€™s such a good striker and heโ€™s had some nice finishes in the past but at the higher levels he just doesnโ€™t seem to have enough pop in his punches. I suppose looking back, as good as he looked against Cody Garbrandt, the fact he couldnโ€™t put him away over 5 rounds when he landed loads and Codyโ€™s not known for his durability says it all. Imagine Fontโ€™s striking with John Linekerโ€™s power?ย