UFC 274: Oliveira vs Gaethje - May 7 🇺🇸

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

9 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Oliveria made the best of an incredibly shitty situation. 

Looking at his last few fights, he seems to get dropped constantly which got me thinking if he actually voluntarily goes to his back after absorbing a strike purely because he knows his opponent will be hesitant in following him down. What a run he's on. Islam for the vacant belt is what I'd like to see next. 

Back in January 2019 someone mentioned that Gaethje has faced killer after killer since signing with the UFC and I posted the following in response:

Which is why he'll most likely be riddled with CTE symptoms and counting his pennies after medical costs in his old age while more savvy fighters will still be able to tie their own shoes and pay for their daughters weddings and grandkids Christmas presents.

I like Gaethje, but let's not pretend that the way he's going about business is the right way to do it. And I know, he's spoken about getting in, making as much money as he can, and getting out quick, but guess what? He's been throwing hands for going on eight years now and he's thirty years of age. 

Not only that, a quick look at his fight record shows that not only has he been involved in violent fights for years now, but he's not taken much time between wars to recover. 

He started in Rage in the Cage in 2011, fighting 7 times in 15 months. Next up was WSOF, where he fought 10 times in 3 years and 9 months. He's fought four times in the UFC in the span of just over a year.

Throughout his career the longest time he's taken between fights was nine months one time, with breaks of six months being the most outside of that a handful of times.

His UFC breaks between fights have been five, four, four, and seven months between his last and next fight.

This was just after the Barboza fight was announced. 

Since then he's fought Barboza, Cerrone six months later, Ferguson eight months after that, Khabib five months after that, before taking a year break between that and his win over Chandler, before jumping back in six months later to face Oliveira.

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but this was the first fight where I saw Gaethje look like a man who's taken too much punishment. He got hurt by the first punch Oliveira threw, and never looked entirely 100% after that.

I hope I'm wrong, but I think this is the beginning of the slide for him. I know he's on $150k base per fight, so we're likely going to see him back in there around November/December. 

• Paid Members

With more and more understanding of things like CTE and other problems that result from combat sport careers, I would not be surprised if we started seeing fighters take long breaks to recover more often, like Ortega did. Gaethje certainly could've done with doing that - whilst he doesn't come across as a prick, he does give the impression of being one of those macho meatheads who think it's more important to be a "warrior", gut it out in every contest, and take every fight possible to show how tough he is. 

That said, I also remember something about him aiming for an early retirement so he could go and do international aid volunteering, so maybe it's just that he's trying to "get all his shit in" before he hangs up the gloves. I just hope it hasn't already cost him something irretrievable.

• Paid Members

What the hell was going on in that Rose/Esparza fight? ive only just seen it, but that has to be one of the strangest fights in modern MMA history.

Pat Barry celebrating the boo's and acting like Rose was putting on a masterclass, right down to Rose thinking she'd won then not even looking arsed that she'd lost. 

I didnt think a fight would be worse than Shogun/OSP, but the women managed it. 

Shogun/OSP might be the second saddest fight ive ever seen (nothing will top Tito/Chuck III). The fight was dull, but just seeing the waving their phones about and just not giving a fuck about Shogun made me feel sad. Shogun thinking he'd won when the announcement was read was the cherry on top of a really sad cake😔

This is a very negative post, but the rest of the PPV was excellent.

Edited by Egg Shen

Whittman strikes me as a decent and honest bloke, so will be interesting to hear his thoughts on this one the dust has settled and they go back and rewatch it. His rep after this match would have taken a bit of a kicking, so will be interesting to see if he'll be able to be completley honest about what was going on during the rounds.

On 5/9/2022 at 11:29 PM, Egg Shen said:

What the hell was going on in that Rose/Esparza fight? ive only just seen it, but that has to be one of the strangest fights in modern MMA history.

Pat Barry celebrating the boo's and acting like Rose was putting on a masterclass, right down to Rose thinking she'd won then not even looking arsed that she'd lost. 

I

The messages at the end of RD4 were particularly confusing, he told her to 'go out and have fun' (which she proceeded to do), I was watching my with my wife (casual fan at best) and even she was shouting he should be telling her to go out and try and get a finish.

What i will say in Esparza defense is she fought the perfect fight really, she was always going to win it by being 'boring' and quite frankly, you couldn't get more boring that that.