UFC 274: Oliveira vs Gaethje - May 7 🇺🇸

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

9 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Jesse said:

But at the same time I'm probably willing it to be not his fault because I've enjoyed his fights for ages and was so glad to see him get a run with the belt. If it was someone I didn't give a toss about I'd accept it without a second glance.

Yeah I think that’s the case for a lot of people. Can you imagine if this happened with Aljamain Sterling before the Petr Yan rematch? There’d have been uproar.

Full card and start times here. Well up for this now. 

46906EBB-920B-45C8-8746-59026A0A794E.jpeg

37BC1C4A-CE96-44E2-8807-2B0800AAA541.jpeg

• Paid Members

Prelims are underway. No live discussion of the actual fights here but the Donald Cerrone vs Joe Lauzon fight has been scrapped at the last minute due to a Cerrone illness. Randy Brown vs Khaos Williams has been bumped up to open the main card.

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Cormier in tears after being announced for the Hall of Fame was the most wholesome thing I’ve ever seen. Love that man.

This is fucking bonkers though. Kicked so hard he momentarily aged three thousand years!

81F138D9-13DF-4602-8348-85FA477E013C.thumb.jpeg.7ced15eb87b9f7d3a54ac4461dcdc27f.jpeg

I respect these lads looking for that big pay day and calling him out, but surely Conor McGregor knows deep down that both Oliveira and Chandler would absolutely wreck him?

1 hour ago, Supremo said:

Cormier in tears after being announced for the Hall of Fame

Jon Jones to do the induction to recreate the original tears moment would be the most wonderful thing in UFC history. 

• Paid Members

Well that was a right mixed bag of a show, wasn’t it?

Oliveira vs Gaethje ended how a lot of people were predicting it to. Really didn’t see him finishing Gaethje that early but it certainly wasn’t all plain sailing. It never is where Oliveira’s concerned though is it? What a rollercoaster of a 3 minutes. Within the first 60 seconds we saw Oliveira stumble Gaethje with the first punch he landed, and then Gaethje return fire, drop Oliveira twice and open up a cut on him. Literally more action in that opening minute than the whole 25 in the co-main. Then Oliveira just decks him and throttles him.

494-C4207-0-F95-46-B6-B7-A4-AAE81-C15472

Madness. Must’ve been extra sweet for Oliveira to make Gaethje tap after so much of Gaethje’s talk going in was about Oliveira being a ‘quitter’.

Really feels like Oliveira just keeps getting better. I had serious doubts he’d win this. I know people always go ‘I’m done counting him out’ but when you see him getting hurt, rocked and dropped nearly every fight it’s easy to see how it could all go wrong for him. And especially in a fight like this against someone like Gaethje. I had a feeling they’d stand early and, while I said I felt like Oliveira was actually the better striker, I just struggled to see him hurting Gaethje enough to drop him or holding up to Gaethje’s punches. I’m happy he proved me wrong. Fantastic run he’s putting together now. That’s finishes over Chandler, Poirier and Gaethje in a row now. He’s taking damage along the way though and that’s making me think he won’t have a particularly long run of this kind of form. But hopefully he can bag some big paydays before it all fades. I’d like to see Oliveira vs Makhachev now for the vacant belt. That one really fascinates me.

On 3/19/2022 at 3:39 PM, wandshogun09 said:

I think Rose has the kind of style that makes for a watchable fight with pretty much anyone. 

Yeah about that…

C3-F0-F032-3956-415-F-8-B20-7685-EF2-B99

Esparza vs Namajunas 2 was fucking brutal. Terrible fight. Up there with the worst title fights in UFC history easy. Maybe it’s the fact it’s so fresh in the memory but I think this might’ve been even worse than the time Anderson Silva and Demian Maia stunk the place out in Abu Dhabi. At least we had the comedy moments of Anderson’s taunting and dancing around in that one. This was just…nothing. 5 rounds of fuck all. I read a stat somewhere that these two only landed a combined 68 strikes in total over 25 minutes. Oliveira and Gaethje almost matched that in 3 minutes. I had a feeling Esparza might win and I never go into her fights expecting barnburners but this was still way below my expectations. Don’t even know how you score it. There was so little output from both that it was excruciatingly difficult to score. The couple of brief takedowns from Esparza that went nowhere were probably what swung it for her. There was that little going on. Rose sounded completely delusional at the post-fight press conference. Talking about how she won clearly and how the “judges mustn’t appreciate good strategy”. She was talking like she’d just put on a prime GSP masterclass, rather than the modern day tribute to Shamrock vs Severn 2 that it actually was. Not a clue what’s next. Nobody’s gonna be in a hurry to watch Esparza’s first title defence. Awful. 

Mike Chandler kicking Ferguson’s jaw into the rafters was one of those moments that’s gonna be replayed to death. Jesus Christ.

image.gif.2ad4481dc21c23050fd1b67773f3cac3.gif

I actually thought Ferguson was looking better in that first round than he has in a while. Still taking his lumps and he still lost the round but he was landing on the feet early, dropped him at the beginning, more active off his back than he’s been recently etc. That kick would’ve wiped out a horse though. Right on the chin. First time Fergie’s been properly knocked out. Definitely the front runner for Knockout Of The Year so far for me. A kick like that is the last thing you’d expect from a guy built like a Dachshund as well. 

Never been Chandler’s biggest fan but he’s been such a great pickup for the UFC. 2-2 in wins and losses but 4-0 in delivering excitement and creating ‘moments’. Can’t blame him for calling for the title shot but he shouldn’t be next. As spectacular as this KO was, people were already zipping up the bodybag on Ferguson’s career going in. And Chandler had lost his 2 previous fights. To get a title shot off one win, I think you should really have to beat a fellow top contender and Ferguson’s not been in that mix for a while. I think Oliveira vs Makhachev is the one to make next. The Conor McGregor callout though, why not? Chandler vs McGregor in the summer sounds fun. McGregor’s already responded and seems up for it as well. I would be 100% a Chandler fan for that one. Although I don’t know who that leaves Poirier with. Chandler vs Poirier would be another option. I think I’d do Oliveira vs Makhachev, McGregor vs Chandler and Poirier vs Gaethje 2. But then there’s Beneil Dariush? Lightweight is just full of killer fights.

OSP vs Shogun 2 was about as expected in 2022. Shogun doesn’t have it anymore, hasn’t in years, and now OSP’s older and slowing down as well. I like both but it was a nothing happening fight from the second it was announced. It’s probably bias but I thought Shogun won this, to be honest. But it wasn’t like either of them looked good. Rogan going during the walkout “they talk about Shogun’s age but he’s only a year older than OSP” was shite. It’s not about the age alone. It’s the miles on the body and the brain. Shogun had war after war for years, plus all the knee surgeries. He’s aged in dog years. He’s 40 in age but about 75 in fighter terms. Dana said at the press conference that Shogun has one more fight on his contract and he’s gonna honour that. So we’ve got to go through this again. Can’t think of one fight I wanna see him in anymore. Maybe something like Johnny Walker would be fun but I don’t even think Shogun’s got ‘fun’ fights left in him anymore. I just hope it’s not Sam Cunting Alvey.

Enjoyed Randy Brown vs Khaos Williams. Glad they got to open the PPV. Really expected a finish either way here but it just never came. Good fight though. Thought it was more competitive than the commentary made out. They were acting like Brown was just schooling him the whole time. Brown’s size, distance and jabbing made a lot of the difference in the end though. Nice to see him start to put a little run of consistency together.

Francisco Trinaldo is still going strong and turning back these younger opponents at 43 years old. What a trooper. He’ll never sniff a title but he’s one of the unsung guys on the roster for me. Won 5 of his last 6 and has beaten some really good fighters and decent names over the years. Fair play. Sad to see Danny Roberts come up short but he’s not the first to fall at the Trinaldo hurdle and he probably won’t be the last.

Macy Chiasson vs Norma Dumont was arse. And not the good kind that I usually talk about where Dumont’s concerned. The commentators were talking up Chiasson like she was doing something but there was very little going on from either side. Dumont clearly thought she should’ve got the decision, and maybe she should’ve, I don’t know. They didn’t hold my attention long enough to bother scoring it. But when a fight is that lacking in action, on both sides, you can’t complain too much when it doesn’t go your way.

Brandon Royval getting the quick sub was sweet. Had to feel sorry for Schnell, losing his mum and then getting steamrolled like this. Shame. Royval’s ace though. Never a dull moment. One of the most consistently exciting fighters in the Flyweight division.

Wasn’t a fan of the Blagoy Ivanov vs Marcos Rogerio De Lima fight but I didn’t expect to enjoy it. Ended up just skimming through it like Chiasson/Dumont. Seeing some moaning that De Lima should’ve got the decision but my mind was wandering watching it. Can’t say I had a strong feeling who won or lost. Nor do I give a bollocks.

Andre Fialho. Fucking hell man.

image.gif.93909b97af8136de347bdced6eccb68e.gif

At this point on the prelims, after 4 straight decisions, a quick KO was just what the doctor ordered. And Dr Fialho wasn’t playing around. Sat VanCamp down in 2:35. Big fan of this guy already. I don’t get the feeling he’ll climb too far up the Welterweight ladder but he’s quickly established himself as a guy you have to tune in for. He’s already said he’s asked to fight at 275 on June 11th and Dana’s okayed it. That’ll be his 4th fight in 6 months. Can’t help feeling like all these quick turnaround fights are gonna backfire at some point but fair play to him. This should’ve been televised. People can say it’s the benefit of hindsight but by now you know what Fialho’s about. It was always gonna be more entertaining than Ivanov vs De Lima and Chiasson vs Dumont.

Tracy Cortez got the best win of her career so far, in my opinion. I really thought she’d come unstuck against Gatto here and there were a few moments on the ground when I was expecting her to get caught in an armbar or triangle but she was never that close to getting subbed. I liked Gatto’s aggression with the submission attempts but she just spent too much time on the bottom in the end.

Loopy Godinez looked class in her fight with Ariane Carnelossi. Complete dominance. Really like the look of her. This was by far her best performance in the UFC to date. She’s had a couple of setbacks but one was a split decision in her debut against Jessica Penne and the other she fought twice in 7 days and went up in weight to replace someone. Everyone loves when fighters step in but it’s not always for the best. Hopefully she’s learned that lesson because I think there’s real potential there. She looked an absolute beast here.

Very hit and miss card. Main event was as good a 3 minute fight as you could ask for, Chandler’s KO was nuts and Fialho and Royval continue to be undercard MVPs. But OSP vs Shogun and Ivanov vs De Lima were plodfests and Chiasson vs Dumont and especially Esparza vs Rose were absolutely rotten to the point it felt like they went out there with the sole intention of setting women’s MMA back 10 years. 

Edited by wandshogun09

Sure didn't expect my day to start with a cinnamon swirl and a side of the assassination of Tony Ferguson. MURDER!!! Chandler is so entertaining. I really hope he gets the Red Panty night and knocks McGregor's face off. 

I know it's not a popular opinion, but I'm not a fan of Rose Namajunas. The way she threw her hands up at the buzzer, like she'd just done what Max Holloway did to Calvin Kattar, was just weird. The whole fight was weird. Maybe the ghost of Tony Ferguson left a hex on the Octagon. The Strawweight title is gonna keep on hot potatoing. 

Big fan of Loopy Godinez though. Hopefully she puts a bit of a run together. 

• Paid Members

I think the jury’s massively out on Joanna. Her return could go either way. She’s got the skills and the experience and toughness and all that. But she’s been out over 2 years now since the first war with Zhang and was hinting at retiring for a while after that. If her Wikipedia page is correct, she’s had 50 pro fights between Kickboxing and MMA, plus another 40 amateur Muay Thai. She’s only 34 but she’s been around forever. If she’s genuinely up for it and not just coming back for a few last paydays then I still think she can be a player. And maybe the break will actually have done her good. A lot is probably gonna depend on where she’s at mentally and if the motivation is still there. 

• Paid Members

Conor McGregor’s on Twitter claiming he invented front kicks to the face now because he landed one in the Marcus Brimage fight in 2013. Problem is, Anderson Silva knocked out Vitor Belfort with one 2 years earlier and even landed one on Hendo as far back as 2008. Now he’s saying his was different than Anderson’s because his was how you’d kick a football or some cack. 

CA9DD4C4-8CEE-4A37-901A-337675871330.gif

44 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

Conor McGregor’s on Twitter claiming he invented front kicks to the face now because he landed one in the Marcus Brimage fight in 2013. Problem is, Anderson Silva knocked out Vitor Belfort with one 2 years earlier and even landed one on Hendo as far back as 2008. Now he’s saying his was different than Anderson’s because his was how you’d kick a football or some cack. 

CA9DD4C4-8CEE-4A37-901A-337675871330.gif

Sometimes,I really miss fun Conor. I know in hindsight he was still a bit cunty back then, but it was fun while it lasted. 

Anyone else think Charles is already higher than Khabib on the GOAT list. Yes Khabib was undefeated but he never really fought any top 10 contenders until the final stretch of his career. Blonde Charles has done more in 2 years than Khabib did in his last 5 years. 

Charles vs Islam is going to be brilliant when it happens. He is so good. Once he figures out a way to stop getting kicked out in round 1 he is going to be even better.

Michael Chandler cuts the best promo in the business, the man oozes charisma and I love him. I also hope he gets the red panty night, if not, him vs Dustin would be pretty amazing.

Rose vs Carla will go down in history as the worse title fight of all time, I think it's going to be referenced for some time.

• Paid Members

The Chandler KO of Tony Ferguson was so devastating that I didn't even get caught up in the excitement of it at the time, as I really expected Tony to not come round properly following it. He got absolutely annihilated. Up to that point, it was the best Ferguson had looked for a round since his last win. A long ass time ago. For that to then happen? Jesus.

Gotta hand it to Michael Chandler. The man knew this late career UFC run needed to hit the ground sprinting, and he has just fucked the entirety of his ballsack at it. 

Chucky Olives. Man, he knows how to pack a lot of living into some very short fights. He's just excellent in all areas now, sure he gets hit but years ago he didn't recover from that. Now he's getting dropped by Chandler, Poirier and Gaethje and coming back and stopping them in return. Madness. He's got a resume and a half going here does Charles. I'd book him against Makhachev next for the belt. That'd be incredibly interesting to see that play out. 

As well as that I think I'd match Dustin up with Gaethje in a re-match for the shits and giggles, thenhave Chandler fight either McGregor or Dariush, whoever is ready first following their injuries. Either way I think he'd be happy, as the fight with Dariush should serve as a number one contender fight to Oliveira/Makhachev, or if it's McGregor then he gets the big name fight he is asking for. 

Rose Namajunas Vs Carla Esparza was as dreadful a fight as I can ever remember. All the stinkers came to mind during it, and this one belonged in the conversation with all of them. Neither fighter should have been surprised if they lost this fight as both spent it doing the sum total of fuck all. I have no idea what Pat Barry was at with his instruction. A rare bad night all round for Trevor Wittman. I'm sure when all the hoopla calms down, Rose will feel disappointed not just with the loss, but when she watches this back it's bound to hit home that she gave this one away. 

OSP Vs Shogun wasn't at all interesting either but I didn't expect it to be, really. Thankfully I had the wherewithal to not subject myself to Chiasson Vs Dumont.