Cage Warriors Thread - CW 141 (July 22nd 2022) 🇬🇧

Egg Shen

• Egg Shen changed the title to Cage Warriors Thread - CW 141 (July 22nd 2022) 🇬🇧
  • Paid Members

Cage Warriors bringing the heat on Friday night. They are piggy backing off the UFC and holding an event at the smaller room in the o2. It's live on Fight Pass and considering the venue will be full of people in town for the UFC it should make for a good atmosphere. The lineup isn't too shabby either, few notable names on here too:

FYCl_6aXkAACfAU.thumb.jpg.3598a3d5c6eee0adae68c52c38bf5800.jpg

Two title fights, and the returns of two big name vets.

Judo Jimmy Wallhead returns after a 3 year lay-off. Wallhead is 38 so who knows what he has left in the tank.

Darren Stewart finally returns after a cancellation last time out. I don't know anything about Stewart's opponent but people are expecting a bit of a fire fight. 

2 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

Judo Jimmy Wallhead returns after a 3 year lay-off. Wallhead is 38 so who knows what he has left in the tank.

I was just about to say, I'm surprised he's still kicking about. He got almost a year suspension for failing a drug test a while back as well, didn't he? I figured that would be the end of him.

• Paid Members

I had to look it up, but Wallhead fought twice after the suspension in 2019. He got popped for a contaminated supplement, but came back and went 2-0 in Bellator. I think he may have cut during that Euro clearout they had during Covid. I'm not sure why he's been out for 3 years but i assume it's injury related.

I just realised Lone'er Kavanaugh is down on the prelims too, he's the guy who did this earlier in the year...

Looks a hell of a prospect.

• Paid Members

Cage Warriors was good stuff as usual.

Highlight for me was seeing Jimmy Wallhead win by first round KO. There's not many OG feeling UK MMA fighters left and seeing Wallhead come back and win big against the odds was great, the crowd lapped it up too. Great stuff.

Darren Stewart had a stinker, a fucking stinker. One of the poorest performances I can recall seeing. Stewart fought 15 times in the UFC, and he fought like a novice who'd never been on the ground in his life, against a non-grappler too! I don't know if Stewart's heart isn't in the game anymore but this was about as bad a first fight after a UFC run he could ever have had. 

The show lined up a nice 155lb title fight between George Hardwick and Mike Figlak too who both won their fights impressively, that'll be a big fight for the promotion. Hopefully they can line that before both head to the UFC. Future is bright for UK MMA.