Wrestling podcasts 2023

hallicks

Regal's explanation for his suspension during his KOTR/Raw GM push was fairly flimsy I thought. Nobody could tell him what showed up in his drug test but  it was probably the chemist where he gets his heart meds fault for giving him wrong meds. Not bothered fighting it because he owed WWE too much for hiring him in 2000. Just admit it was for roids/hgh/whatever for your mega push like.

• Paid Members

Regal was far better with the "AMA" style I thought. Allows him to go off on tangents and tell half a dozen little stories per answer. They should stick to that format, would be ages before they run out of questions.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Jon Moxley’s most recent appearance on The Sessions with Renee Paquette is remarkable. Fitting that simultaneous to being the runaway best wrestler of the year he also delivers the best wrestling podcast appearance I’ve ever heard.

I’ll always love listening to Mox. Those original appearances when he left WWE and went on a pissed off rampage are some of my favourites. But this is on a completely different level. I genuinely found myself slowing down on my walk and holding my breath listening to how open and honest he is about everything that led to him going to rehab. Terrified of having a fucking seizure on live TV due to alcohol withdrawal! Jesus Christ. Gripping stuff.

And then no less than five minutes later he has me genuinely laughing out loud talking about how surreal being a father is. And then the icing on the cake is listening to his fascinating philosophy on pro-wrestling, how the Blackpool Combat Club came about and where he sees it going in the future. There is nothing on the planet I would rather read than the group chat that supposedly exists between Mox, Danielson and Regal.

Get on this. Highly, highly recommended. Jon Moxley is the best.

I enjoyed it, even if it was a bit heavy at times (which was always going to be the case given the subject matter). 

I like that they're so at ease talking with each other and mainly just shoot the shit. It's a lot more like a radio show than most other wrestling podcasts, which is appealing. I feel like they'll definitely get better and fall into more of a groove as they go on, but this was good and I could listen to Nash's soothing voice for hours. 

I can also see future episodes being centred more around politics and other topics and not wrestling. 

Regals is continuing to be an entertaining struggle. Starting with wcw goes off again on pin attempts and people being on their phone at work 

• 2 weeks later...

Listened to the Nash one, and for a first episode thought it was pretty good. Nash is extremely easy to listen to, and Sean Oliver plays a good host.  A couple of points though; Nash brought up the story of getting bigger deals because of the Fake Razor and Diesel angle, which I read on a thread here recently which debunked it, did it not. The other questionable theory from Nash was that Hall was going to go over Austin at WM18, and something about them doing a beat down to Hogan and Rock at the end of their match, which would have been the first time ever a Mania would have finished with heat. All of that changed a few days out, according to Nash. Never heard of that before, and sounds like BS. For a start, I assume HHH/Jericho was always the plan to be on last, so 'ending Mania with heat' never really makes any sense. Also, surely theres no way in hell Austin is jobbing to Hall. I guess Nash isnt immune to the wrestling embellishing.

The explanation of Hall's accident with the ice cubes, which lead to the death was all pretty sad to hear, and I think its the only time Ive ever heard Kev well up and hold back the tears. Good start to the show for sure.

Also listened to the Mox podcast, and thought it was a massive waste of potential, purely down to how awful Renee was. Whether it was because of the strange dynamic with the guest, but on this podcast she was the shits. No way I could listen to anything else she does. Mox is good value, but would have been ten times better with a competent host.

The second Nash pod starts with 30 mins of wanking chat. A really easy listen as they go with the flow, the opposite of Regals that’s continues to be interesting but manic in it’s tangents and weird burials that he tries not to be burials 

Maybe the video would help but I find Nash's podcast way too slow. I had to take my phone out during a walk on more than one occasion during the first episode to make sure it was actually still playing, because he tends to gather his thoughts a lot. A bit of pre-game wine and medicinal, perhaps, for Big Sexy. I'll probably give it another shot though. 

I was never into Lapsed Fan due to the way it could stop in its tracks for an hour at a time when they enjoyed their own routines but I found this playlist last night and really enjoyed having it on in the background during work today. Meltzer's got a largely reliable memory and is still a very good authority to listen to when he's kept on track. It's essentially just 15-30 minutes each week of him doing a retrospective on the business around each WrestleMania: 

One thing that stood out for me in one of the later episodes is Dave properly went for there being bad blood between Rock & Cena initially. Maybe Rock felt a bit of hurt on his side, but I think John's far too clever and far too sympathetic to extending your whims beyond the WWE to have actually been shitting on Rock for bunking them to go and do the movies. Cena was always working, I think, there. 

I'll probably give Lapsed Fan another chance. It's just one of those things I'm dying to have click for me so I'll have so much new content to enjoy. 

I still can't believe what a mess Regal's pod is. All he needs is a decent host to give him sort of semblance of direction. Instead we just have him saying  "I do me, I'm not going to mention any names etc" for 2 hours as the current host is either to fawningly in awe or too afraid to interupt Regal, nevermind challenge him on obvious bullshite like his explanation of for being suspended at the height of his Raw GM push. I'd even take Conrad at this stage!

28 minutes ago, Louch said:

I listen to all podcasts at 1.5 speed @Gay as FOOK, makes the languid talking Americans much easier to get through, especially those that love a long show 

I'll give it a try! I usually hate mucking about with the intended format of things, but listened to Iron Maiden's new stuff on 1.5 last year and it improved it to no end.