UFC London: Volkov vs Aspinall - Mar 19 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

10 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, David said:

A thoroughly entertaining card from start to finish, with all of the key British fighters getting great results.

Paul Craig. Honestly, I know he said years back that he was calling it a day at his 35th birthday but he'd be mental to follow through on that. He's on a roll, and with the division as it is, he could easily have a real run at the title. Imagine being in your 50's and constantly thinking back "what if?" 

He took out a legit top contender in this fight, and showed he's as dangerous on the ground as anyone in the division.

That interview he did recently that I posted a link to, the interviewer did say "You said you'd retire, but we've had two years of Covid, how about putting it off?" He responded with a "Why not?" He agreed with the initial point, but also said that the big difference now is that he's now got himself a whiff of title contention. So it looks like we might be getting to see him fight on, and I really hope that's the case.

• Paid Members

Darren Till talking sense for once. This would be a fantastic card if they return to the UK later this year.

Can’t really see Craig vs Ankalaev 2 happening at the moment, I’d probably go with Craig vs Anthony Smith, but apart from that this is about spot on for me. Really like the idea of Gunnar vs Ponzinibbio 2 as well, first fight ended on a bit of a sour note with the eye poke and neither are in the mix currently with Gunni just getting back in there and Ponz hitting a rough patch. Why not run it back? Aspinall vs Tuivasa, Allen vs Kattar and Pimblett vs Topuria would be ideal as the top 3.

Till’s still on about fighting Uriah Hall as well. If you remember that was briefly pencilled in as the headliner for this card. Glad it wasn’t, to be honest, but I wouldn’t mind seeing it booked sometime. 

• Paid Members

I get the feeling we're going to be seeing Tai Tuivasa in a title fight next. Possibly seen the last of Ngannou, and Stipe and Jones both continue to seem uninterested in fighting for the money that's on the table. Tai Vs Gane for either another interim title, or the straight up vacant belt if UFC decide to go ahead and strip Francis. 

It's the right call out from Aspinall though. Great card all told. Absolutely flew by when you watch it on a couple of hours delay and skip all the shite. Finishes galore. Arnold Allen and Dan Hooker was just mayhem. Aspinall pissing through Volkov was a real statement. Unfortunately Paddy the dickhead won, but I'm pleased to see that he got tagged again. He's going to get wrecked if they ever step him up in competition. I think they may give him the Sean O'Malley kid gloves treatment though. Even then, there's every chance he gets a pasting as he just isn't all that. 

Ilia Topuria getting that come from behind victory will do his development the world of good. Battled through adversity and still shut his opponents lights out. 

A really easy night of fights to watch all in all. The perfect return to overseas Fight Nights for the UFC. Hopefully it'll mean a few more eventually start to be on the move from the Apex. 

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, WeeAl said:

The perfect return to overseas Fight Nights for the UFC. Hopefully it'll mean a few more eventually start to be on the move from the Apex. 

I think that’s the plan, to gradually start doing more Fight Nights in front of crowds again, yeah. This weekend’s Blaydes vs Daukaus card is gonna be in Ohio so that’s another one out of the Apex.

As for Pimblett, I think they’re definitely gonna try and protect him a bit but he’s at the point now where he’s talking too much. His mouth is gonna write some cheques he can’t cash soon. He’s already got Topuria wanting to cave his face in, Ottman Azaitar’s thrown his name in the mix and I think Guram Kutateladze was on about wanting the fight as well even before Saturday night. These are all guys that give Paddy a right pasting, in my opinion. And he knows it. Which is why he’s now hiding behind the fighter pay argument to duck Topuria. 

0B364310-0FB5-43EC-BEC1-5361DEAF2477.jpeg

The difference between McGregor, for all his faults and Pimblett. Is Conor would have seen Topuria calling him out and cashed in on it. He was fearless on his come up.

I think Pimblett knows his level. 

I know he lost to Tui, but what about Derrick Lewis vs Aspinall ? That would be one hell of a main event over here. 

Edited by Cousin Jim Bob

• Paid Members

Pimblett's gonna have to be careful - his surname already sounds close enough to a slang term for dingleberries as it is.

"Mate, for fuck's sake, grab a shower - you must have some minging pimbletts hanging off by now."

• Paid Members

That was probably the greatest 'showcase' UFC event ever. All the Brits who won came away looking like stars.

I really hope this starts a bit of a wave of events over here. The UK has a roster that carries its own credibility, it would sad to see any of those UK fighters go back to fighting in the Apex in 3 months in front of 50 people.