AEW Dynamite Thread 2022

DavidB6937

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Loki said:

My fave indy of that era was Live Action Wrestling.  Scott Steiner, Buff Bagwell, Jeff Hardy, Raven, R-Truth... Great product for a WCW fan.

I'm sure I caught this on TWC a few times and loved it. Jerry Lawler was also involved too iirc. 

• Paid Members

So much for not being able to call the main event at the PPV! In what’s got to have been his worst promo in years, Jon Moxley made it perfectly clear that he’s already checked out and is counting the seconds until that long awaited vacation. Not even knowing if the match is on Saturday or Sunday! That man is mentally already on that beach with his wife and kid. Max is winning. 100 per cent.

Not that I could focus on anything else on this show when they frustratingly refused to explain how Ricky Starks is supposed to have a Quarter Final match on Friday, when the Finals are on Saturday. When are they squeezing in the Semi Final? Is Tony as confused about when Full Gear is as Moxley?! Does he realise he’s ran out of time?! Why is nobody on the show addressing this?! So weird.

On the plus side, Samoa Joe had one of his best nights since coming in, cutting a great promo before the Big Meaty Men division was confirmed. Triple Hoss Match! Yes!

4 hours ago, Supremo said:

Not that I could focus on anything else on this show when they frustratingly refused to explain how Ricky Starks is supposed to have a Quarter Final match on Friday, when the Finals are on Saturday. When are they squeezing in the Semi Final? Is Tony as confused about when Full Gear is as Moxley?! Does he realise he’s ran out of time?! Why is nobody on the show addressing this?! So weird.

I was confused by this too, the fact they didn't explain this was pretty baffling. Perhaps he wants Starks to overcome two matches in one night to build his star power? Regardless, I wish they clearly set out what is going to happen. 

4 hours ago, Supremo said:

So much for not being able to call the main event at the PPV! In what’s got to have been his worst promo in years, Jon Moxley made it perfectly clear that he’s already checked out and is counting the seconds until that long awaited vacation. Not even knowing if the match is on Saturday or Sunday! That man is mentally already on that beach with his wife and kid. Max is winning. 100 per cent.

Yeah, I was really disappointed by what they did here. I wish they'd gone with a standard face-to-face promo, and shifted The Firm well away from the main event scene. I can't remember an example of a stable consisting of guys that I really, really like (and Stokely) combining to become something I just don't want to see. It's so strange. 

All in all, it was a very mediocre go-home show. MJF potentially winning his first World title should feel much bigger than it does at this point. Perhaps it will on the show itself, but it's a shame the build-up has been so middling. 

I'm looking forward to having The Elite back, but I really want to see Omega going on a solo babyface run sooner, rather than later. AEW could really do with some added strength in its main event scene, and I'd be intrigued to see him interact with MJF. 

Christ that Moxley promo! I have found his stuff tedious for a while but that about topped it. Trying to sell the PPV and he is there burying MJF. I will happy to not see Moxley until well into next year. I don't really like Jim Cornette but i found myself thinking 'Mud Wrestler' in my head as the promo happened, it was a promo that really does capture Jim's Point of View about a lot of things.

MJF looked like the biggest face in the company and the crowd popped like he is. It's Britt Baker all over again isn't it? They just don't know how deal with people who get organically over. When he wins the title he should be their Stone Cold; An anti-authority s.o.b who doesn't give a dam. But he will probably end up a 'tweener' who jumps heel to face week to week and lose all momentum. 

And speaking of Promos-GET THAT MIC AWAY FROM SARAYA! Completely unlikeable and annoying, does Khan have a crush on her or something? The definition of madness is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. She is going to be in the title picture soon and I'm dreading it.

On the plus side, the opening tag was good fun.

2 minutes ago, theringmaster said:

Christ that Moxley promo! I have found his stuff tedious for a while but that about topped it. Trying to sell the PPV and he is there burying MJF. I will happy to not see Moxley until well into next year. I don't really like Jim Cornette but i found myself thinking 'Mud Wrestler' in my head as the promo happened, it was a promo that really does capture Jim's Point of View about a lot of things.

If you don't like Moxley, fair enough, but let's not go crazy here. It was an off week for the guy, nothing more, nothing less. 

5 minutes ago, theringmaster said:

MJF looked like the biggest face in the company and the crowd popped like he is. It's Britt Baker all over again isn't it? They just don't know how deal with people who get organically over. When he wins the title he should be their Stone Cold; An anti-authority s.o.b who doesn't give a dam. But he will probably end up a 'tweener' who jumps heel to face week to week and lose all momentum. 

You seem to be getting annoyed at something before it's even happened, here. It's hard to say where they're going with him at this point, but I just don't think it's accurate to say AEW doesn't know how to deal with people who get organically over. Eddie Kingston's whole identity has been based on him getting over organically, and Jamie Hayter is in a title match on the back of the crowd getting on side with her. MJF is being presented as a babyface, and this may very well be a change in direction based on crowd response. In the past, Dante Martin has been elevated after getting over (and moved back down the card after revealing his limitations) and The Acclaimed were made tag team champions based on their organic overness. On the other side of the coin, they turned Sammy Guevarra heel when the crowd turned on him; and while that didn't happen with Cody, it sounds very much like that was a Cody problem; while most other people recognised that a heel turn was the way to go. Same goes with your Britt Baker example - although she wanted to remain heel. 

I think they do reasonably well at listening to their audience, and adjusting accordingly if someone gets over. 

Thought that show was awful for a go home show, nothing in it made me care about anyone on it, nor made me feel like I really need to get the ppv as I don’t care who wins any of the matches. The acclaimed video was fun, finally got our captain Insanno appearance to justify him being in the game 

I assume the reason they did the thing with The Elite in the way they did is that they think it might drive more PPV buys if the only place to see their return is on the PPV. Which makes sense, except I reckon fans of The Elite would likely be buying this show regardless.

9 minutes ago, 69MeDon said:

I assume the reason they did the thing with The Elite in the way they did is that they think it might drive more PPV buys if the only place to see their return is on the PPV. Which makes sense, except I reckon fans of The Elite would likely be buying this show regardless.

As good as the tag match will be, I think they'd have been better off advertising a return promo at the PPV. Who wouldn't be intrigued by what they had to say on the back of what happened. Clearly they wouldn't be able to directly address the Punk situation, but an emotional thank you to the fans and rallying cry would have been more than sufficient for me. 

9 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

As good as the tag match will be, I think they'd have been better off advertising a return promo at the PPV. Who wouldn't be intrigued by what they had to say on the back of what happened. Clearly they wouldn't be able to directly address the Punk situation, but an emotional thank you to the fans and rallying cry would have been more than sufficient for me. 

I don’t think they are coming back as good guys from the tone of the videos. Showing them being wiped out and forgotten is vengeful heel fuel 

• Paid Members

That Mox promo was brutally shit. MJF saved the segment somewhat with a bit of fire, but Jon managed to douse that out by the end as well. He has been pretty boring for weeks now and topped it off by being incompetent this night. What is it with AEW champions post Omega? They've had cursed/shit reigns to a man! 

• Paid Members

The promos were weird this week. So Britt is a face now? Mox was all over the shop as well.

But match wise? Probably the best episode in ages. The Trios match was fantastic fun, so glad to see Darius back and AR Fox, sign him up. Bandido/Ego was a lot of fun as was Bowen/Swerve. And the others were good, those just really stood out.