UFC 271: Adesanya vs Whittaker 2 - Feb 12 🇺🇸

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

13 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

I dont think it helps that there's very little needle between Whittaker & Adesayana. People probably thought there would be given the first fight but Whittaker is making a point of saying hes staying calm and not letting anything get to him. On the surface that seems to be working, but you never know. Izzy is a bit of a master at getting into people's heads.

That said, ive fancied Whittaker from the jump, can't even say why really, just think if the best Bobby Knuckles turns up, he's got a great shot at winning this.

• Paid Members

Big stakes during Brunson/Cannonier. Cannonier is favoured but id love to see Brunson win. Im not sure he'll get another crack at Izzy as its been stated Izzy wants fresh opponents, but Bruson's rise from someone fans were always indifferent towards to turning into a bit of a fan favorite has been great to see.

• Paid Members

Yeah it’s all well and good Adesanya wanting fresh opponents but if Brunson wins tonight then nobody deserves that shot more than him. I can’t even think of any obvious fresh opponents in the immediate future who they could really spin as warranting a crack at the gold yet. Other than fucking Strickland. 

3E4A0EC7-CFE3-4D85-8AF1-89522E9FC73C.gif

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Aye, fuck Sean Strickland. Talks total muck, horrendous nonsense everyone he opens his mouth or uses his fingers, and isn't at all enjoyable to watch fight. I'm not even particularly interested in seeing him get slapped about, I'd rather just not see him. He can get in the bin. 

Brunson all the way. By the way, say Adesanya wins tonight, then comes up againdt Brunson again. Adesanya's resume is getting better and better all the time isn't it? He's not beating people on the slide, or even starting their slide in some cases. He beat Vettori on the way up. What happens? Vettori goes on a winning streak, gets another shot and Adesanya beats him again. Beats Whittaker, then Whittaker beats three top contenders. Beats Brunson who turns around and goes on one of the best stretches of his career right after. That's before you mention the wins over Gastelum (Who may prove to be the exception here - That fight looks to have taken more out of Kelvin than it did Izzy). The wins over Costa and Romero as well. Tavares. He's putting together a hell of roster of wins here. 

• Paid Members

Adesanya goes 2-0 then. Watched the fight then looked online and saw a fair bit of talk from people acting like Whittaker should’ve won. Was quite baffled by that but I probably shouldn’t be. A lot of fans seem to judge fights mostly on who they like more than who’s actually winning. I had it for Israel myself. And I’m a Whittaker fan who was rooting for him. He just didn’t win though. Obviously he did better than last time, he never got knocked out, but I didn’t really see 3 rounds he had a strong argument in. I liked him at least trying to mix things up with the takedowns though. Might rewatch it in the week but I was pretty sure Izzy had won when the fight was over. Didn’t think Adesanya looked amazing either but he did what he needed to do. Seen Whittaker talking about a third fight and it’s definitely not something we need to see anytime soon but it’ll probably happen at some point just because Whittaker likely beats everyone else below Izzy again. 

Big Tai faceplanting Derrick Lewis was sad to see. Against almost anyone else I’d have been happy to see Tuivasa do this but seeing it happen to the Beast was gutting.

25EC672B-82A5-4CD3-989D-AC54263A71A9.gif

Shades of Mark Hunt’s KO over Roy Nelson way back. Was an absolute slobberknocker before that as well and Lewis was throwing bombs. But Tuivasa’s had Mark Hunt lobbing fists at him for years, he’s not gonna sweat anyone. Not sure where this puts Tai but he’s got to be up there now. This was big. Lewis has been mixing with the top boys for a while now and floating in and out of the title picture and nobody’s really put him down like that. I mean, I think Tuivasa gets utterly schooled by the likes of Ngannou, Stipe and Gane but he’s gonna be mixing with that lot soon and he’s earned the right to face the top guys as much as anyone really. 

Cannonier vs Brunson, Christ! Gutted for Brunson. He was one win away. You have to think a W here would’ve all but got the title shot and rematch with Adesanya sewn up. First round was looking pretty standard for him as well. Cannonier was defending quite well but Brunson seemed on the right track to outworking him. Even got the choke at the end of the first round as well but ran out of time. Second round…

image.gif.000fbb54269e8e6025d93b786988c955.gif

Could Cannonier have made a bigger statement on a better night than this? The same night Izzy goes 2-0 over Whittaker and seems out of interesting challengers, Cannonier does this? And he’s a fresh contender as well. I don’t see him beating Adesanya but he should get the shot. If anything he’s at least got the power and self belief and a bit of craziness that could give him a fighting chance. Loved his post-fight interview as well. How can you not give him the shot after that performance and then that interview?

Shame it didn’t work out for Brunson though. He was saying before this fight that he only wanted to fight 2 more times. I think he was hoping to win this then get the title shot and hang up the gloves after, win or lose. This loss obviously killed that dead. He’s tweeted something after the fight about fighting one more time so his next is likely his last. I’d like to see him go out in a headliner against Paulo Costa or Marvin Vettori. 

Moicano vs Hernandez was very satisfying. Never warmed to Hernandez so it’s always a pleasure seeing him get a reality check. He had a point earlier in the week when he was whinging about his fight originally being slated for Fight Pass, but I find it quite amusing that he did all that bellyaching only to get subbed here. Moicano at one point genuinely looked like a future contender. Nice to see him getting back to winning ways lately. His interview was hilarious as well. Proper Wallid Ismael vibes. 

Bobby Green looked class in the PPV opener. Haqparast is no world beater but he’s a tough sod and I thought Green looked excellent. I’d like to see him get a bit of a name next. Not sure who that’d be but after this performance and putting Al Iaquinta away in a round last time, it feels like he deserves something. I liked Anik calling for him to get a Fight Night headliner. Sounds about right. Was it just me or did the crowd fucking love him last night as well? I actually double checked that he wasn’t from Houston during the entrances. He’s from California but the crowd were treating him like he was the hometown boy. 

Arlovski fight was what it was. You kind of know what you’re getting from him now. For fans who remember him at his peak, he really is like a completely different fighter these days. Not as exciting to watch but he’s also not getting knocked out on a regular basis anymore either. Fair play to him. 43 years old, on a 3 fight winning streak and still getting paid. For those of us who were around when he had that horrible slump years ago, you’d never have predicted that he’d still be going all these years later. 

O’Neill vs Modafferi was decent. Quite enjoyed it, to be honest. Don’t really get what the one judge was thinking scoring it for Modafferi but whatever. O’Neill definitely won. Nice moment for Modafferi post-fight.

image.gif.3e9572fdd168edd3f0732c4a084f9c11.gif

Would’ve been cool to see her go out on a win but it didn’t really matter. She’s had almost as many losses as wins anyway and it’s never seemed to be so much about that for her. I was glad to see her get that little moment though. 

Kyler Phillips pulling off that triangle/armbar was sweet. I want to dislike Phillips because he reminds me so much of Russell Brand but he’s been great to watch over his last few fights. Rojo too really but I just don’t see much upside in him beyond having the odd prelim banger. I think Phillips has real potential but in a division stacked with talent like 135 is, it’s gonna be tough to make serious headway. Plenty of fun fights to make with him though. The possibilities at Bantamweight seem endless. 

If you skipped the Fight Pass bit then it’s worth going back to that for two fights in particular. Trust me.

Ronnie Lawrence vs Mana Martinez was a fight I wanted to see purely because I’d heard a lot of good things about Lawrence and was impressed with his UFC debut last year. This fight just cemented it further. He looked fantastic for most of it, put a right beating on Martinez and dropped him a bunch of times. But Martinez just refused to go away and put Lawrence on the deck in the third round!

image.gif.a388d4c6ef34eb761ef5e76fa05f139c.gif

Lawrence weathered it and was already comfortably up on points enough to walk away with the decision but what a fight and what a miraculous comeback that would’ve been from Martinez. Looking forward to seeing more of both.

The other one you really need to go out of your way to see is Douglas Silva De Andrade vs Sergey Morozov. This one totally caught me off guard. I didn’t expect a bad fight but I was a bit indifferent really. Just another prelim. So glad I didn’t skip it. What a wild and crazy fight this was. Rightly got FOTN. 

image.gif.ab20d97f688330447e9e31569ac3bb54.gif

I just know it’s gonna be one of those that gets forgotten and overlooked as the year rolls on and we start talking FOTY at the end of the year. A combination of this happening so early in the year and them not being big names means it’ll go under the radar. But it was quality. Probably won’t be the FOTY but it’ll definitely deserve at least an honourable mention. Tremendous. Get it watched. 

Good stuff. They’re really nailing it so far this year. We’ve only had 4 UFC cards so far in 2022 and every one has had at least one killer fight on it. Kattar vs Chikadze on the first Fight Night of the year, then it was Moreno vs Figgy 3 and Frevola vs Valdez at 270, then Erosa vs Peterson on the Fight Night last week, now De Andrade vs Morozov here. 

Edited by wandshogun09

At no point in the fight did I think that Whitaker was winning, or even close to winning. Izzy looked like he never left second gear. Thats probably to do with Whitaker being so good, but from a viewing spectacle, it fell flat. Dont think this fight would wet the appetite of any fan wanting them to fight again any time soon.

Best and most memorable moment from the whole show must be Tuivasa, on his knees getting up, taking multiple unprotected bombs from Lewis to the face, then looking pissed off when stood up and just swinging right back at him. Was a belter of a replay. Not many in the UFC who could withstand those Black Beast punches and walk straight through them.

Brunson seemed to do what the commentators said hes ironed out of his game on this winning streak. During the first round he went way too hard, and put on way too much pressure. Despite the commentators saying he could do that all day, he clearly couldnt, as he was gassed at the start of R2, and was made to pay for it.

The Haqparast match was very odd to me. Green was clearly absolutley owning him in the standup, yet there was no change in gameplan at all. The whole of the third round played out exactly the same as the previous two rounds, which from Haqparasts corner point of view makes no sense. No attempt to try and even win this, it seems.

Have to love Arlovski winning and being on a three fight winning streak in 2022. The funniest part of Wand saying about his slump is that you could mean his UFC five fight slump in 16-17, or go even further back to when Brett Rogers, Kharitonov and Fedor made it seem like he had a glass jaw all the way back in 2009. Plenty of people thought he was done all the way back then, so great to see him still getting it done in 2022.

• Paid Members

Tai Tuivasa. This man just might fuck around and Shoe-ey himself right into a title win. I mean, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the next title fight at HW was Tuivasa Vs Gane for either the interim belt, or the real version if it's stripped from the rightful owners hands. Stipe and Jones are out of the picture as far as I'm concerned. I'm here all day for Bam Bam. As the old saying goes "Always do sober, what you said you'd do drunk" and Tuivasa knocked big Del the fuck out. 

No idea what people may have been thinking that had Whittaker winning. Sure, there wasn't a lot happening in some of it, but it was clear that Adesanya won at least three rounds, probably four. If you gave Whittaker the second, as close as it was, you were still being generous to him. The fifth was Robert's. I understand him thinking he won it in the moment. It went a hell of a lot better for him than the first fight, so he probably overvalued that when it came to scoring rounds. I'm glad for Whittaker that, despite losing, he was able to get some redemption here and prove that he was better than how that first fight played out. 

• Paid Members
19 hours ago, Dai said:

The funniest part of Wand saying about his slump is that you could mean his UFC five fight slump in 16-17, or go even further back to when Brett Rogers, Kharitonov and Fedor made it seem like he had a glass jaw all the way back in 2009. Plenty of people thought he was done all the way back then, so great to see him still getting it done in 2022.

Yeah I was on about that slump when he was getting laid out by Fedor, Rogers etc but could’ve just as easily been talking about a couple of other spells in his career. He hasn’t half had his ups and downs. 

• Paid Members

strange old night this, some great performances and some terrible ones.

The main event for me is up got debate. I zoned out a little so couldn't give an honest assessment but i felt Whittaker was generally doing more. I got annoyed at Bisping on commentary though, waffling on like Adesanya was putting on some kind of masterclass. Outside of a very strong opener though the only real significant damage i remember him doingn was through calf kicks. The takedowns in such a close fight have to mean a lot too and Whittaker got a few and he his jab, double jab was working well. All Bisping did was talk about what Rob wasn't doing and i think it probably influenced a lot of the opinion coming out of it. I do need to watch it again though.

Edited by Egg Shen

I had it 4-1 / 49-46 for Adesanya personally and I was a little surprised to see Whittaker say he felt he did enough to win.

1 and 5 were the clearest rounds. Everything in between was fairly close but I just felt Rob was struggling with the reach and wasn't doing enough when he was able to get inside. He could have stole a round or two if he actually established anything on the back of his takedowns or when he briefly took the back. I think the judges tend to disregard a takedown if the opponent pops right back up though.

The fight actually reminded me of some of the Cormier and Jones exchanges.