UFC Vegas: Kattar vs Chikadze - Jan 15 🇺🇸

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

6 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

First UFC card of 2022 and it’s a beauty. No location for this one yet. Probably the Apex although surely they’re due another visit to Fight Island soon?

39-F2-DCD1-708-C-427-B-9804-21-D87872065

ESPN+ MAIN CARD
Calvin Kattar vs Giga Chikadze 

Chase Sherman vs Jake Collier

Brandon Royval vs Rogerio Bontorin 

Katlyn Chookagian vs Jennifer Maia

Dakota Bush vs Viacheslav Borshchev

Joanderson Brito vs Bill Algeo

ESPN+/FIGHT PASS PRELIMS
Jamie Pickett vs Joseph Holmes

Ramiz Brahimaj vs Court McGee

TJ Brown vs Charles Rosa 

Brian Kelleher vs Kevin Croom 

I say it every time but this isn’t the final bout order. You know the drill by now. Going off Marcel Dorff’s listings but no doubt it’ll change every hour on the hour between now and fight night. I’m hoping Chookagian vs Maia doesn’t stay in the co-main spot. Not that it really matters what’s co-main on a Fight Night but that really doesn’t deserve high billing on a card like this which has 3 or 4 better options.

05-F3-CA06-A29-C-45-FF-8604-F939-C7-B2-F

Calvin Kattar vs Giga Chikadze will be our first UFC main event of 2022. It’s a cracker. Such a great fight on paper and I’m really glad they’ve got 5 rounds to play with if they need them. Two guys who’ve been just on the outside of the contender mix up to now. Kattar was flirting with getting in the conversation but that all went tits up in his last fight.

1-A919-D3-D-D2-DE-49-B6-9-B45-8271364-BF

He was just another victim of the Max Holloway tornado of violence. A sickening 25 minute thrashing was delivered. By the time he steps into the Octagon here, it’ll have been a whole year since he last fought. That’s the severity of the beating Holloway put on him. Probably a wise move by Kattar taking a break after that but who knows if he’ll ever be the same. It was that rough of a fight on him. He’s a tough guy (obviously) and a skilled fighter, 22-5 record with wins over Dan Ige, Jeremy Stephens, Ricardo Lamas and Shane Burgos. But so far, he’s come unstuck when he’s stepped up to that next level. We saw it in the Zabit fight and then of course Holloway wrecked him. He’ll be looking to come back with a bang here. But a year out of the game and then coming back to face this fucker?

D1-C713-CF-3-C0-D-4-ECF-8-AE4-A605-F8-E4

Chikadze is no joke. While Kattar has had a taste of that top level and faltered, Chikadze’s still waiting for his opportunity against the elite of the Featherweight division. He came in with a Kickboxing background and quietly racked up a few decision wins in the UFC on his arrival. Looked solid but no fucks were really given. He’s really stepped it up in his last few though. Stopped Jamey Simmons in a round which was whatever. He then body kicked Cub Swanson into oblivion in just over a minute in May. That turned some heads. Then in his last fight, he headlined against Edson Barboza and put him away in 3 rounds. He got POTN bonuses for all 3 fights and he’s started calling out everyone in the Top 10. It took him a little while but he’s firmly established himself as a legitimate rising contender at 145 now. The Barboza win was big but, as much of a Barboza fan as I am, I wouldn’t say he’s one of the elite at 145. It was still a quality win though and another one here against Kattar would make it hard to deny Chikadze a proper #1 contenders fight next. Maybe against the Korean Zombie or something while Volko vs Max 3 plays out. Should be a corker. They’ve both got the power to hurt each other but it definitely feels like the timing and momentum is with Giga at the moment. We’ll see though.

038-D5-D00-34-D5-4-D8-C-957-A-8-DC11-F25

Chase Sherman vs Jake Collier. High chance of this being crap. Maybe I’ve been watching the wrong fights but I’ve found Collier awful to watch. Just shite. Maybe he was alright when he fought at Middleweight. Now he’s ate himself up to Heavyweight and he’s cack.

C190-BB35-83-CF-4539-BCC6-7662-F4662217.

The boy’s been tucking in. He’s 12-6 now and has lost every time he’s fought anyone with anything about them. His biggest win came against fellow fatty, no longer giving a fuck Gian Villante. Which tells you all you need to know really. In fairness, I’ve quite enjoyed watching Sherman. He’s not that good either and he’s coming off a couple of losses but he’s been a lot more enjoyable to watch than Collier. His wild slobberknocker with Ike Villanueva in 2020 was better than Collier’s whole UFC run combined. Whatever. I’ll probably skip this. Or at least just skim through it on fast forward in case Sherman knocks him out.

17-EDD473-F511-4-C14-8-EE8-7-CFA81-CA62-

Brandon Royval vs Rogerio Bontorin could be all kinds of fun. Royval’s had very mixed results so far in the UFC, he’s gone 2-2. But as far as being exciting goes, he’s got a perfect record. And to be fair, one of the losses was to Brandon Moreno, the current champ, and it ended via injury. Win or lose, he’s been stupidly entertaining to watch. One of my favourite additions to the roster over the last year or so easy. Bontorin I’m a bit less familiar with but he’s been good to watch from my memory of him as well. He’s 17-3-0-1 and coming off a win over Matt Schnell. It’s a definite step down in levels for Royval, coming off the losses to Moreno and Pantoja, so I’m hoping he can get back in the win column here.

1-E845177-BD38-485-C-96-BD-A6-E04-E1-EC7

Katlyn Chookagian vs Jennifer Maia. Ugh. Not into this at all but it’ll probably end up being a contender fight just because Valentina Shevchenko’s burning through challengers faster than they can create new ones. I’m guessing Taila Santos will get the next shot, beyond that it’s probably Rematch City. These two have already been schooled by Val. I’ve got no interest in seeing either get another crack but what can you do? Chookagian is 16-4 now and is coming off a couple of forgettable decision wins. Maia is 19-7-1 and has won a forgettable decision win over Jessica Eye since losing to the champ in late 2020. Forgettable all over the shop with these two.

FD4-B5-A86-A863-4-CC3-B089-90-EC1-C50333

Dakota Bush vs Viacheslav Borshchev is ***WAND’S ONE TO WATCH*** this time. Might seem an odd choice and I’m not even saying this’ll be the best fight on the show or anything, I’m into it for one reason. Slava Claus is coming to town!

Borshchev makes his UFC debut. I briefly dipped into DWCS recently and enjoyed it a lot. My viewing dropped off again but this guy stood out immediately. He had a great showing, got the knockout and then that post-fight interview. Instant fan of him. He’s 5-1 now with 4 knockouts and turns 30 just before this show. That’s about all the info out there but just off the strength of his DWCS appearance, I’m in. Barely remember this Bush jabroni. He’s 8-3 and lost his UFC debut against Austin Hubbard. Whatever. Hopefully Borshchev’s UFC debut goes as well as his DWCS one did. But yeah, ‘Hairy’ Bush vs Slava Claus.

85-F82-F44-3104-4-E47-A230-409111-B852-C

Joanderson Brito vs Bill Algeo. Dunno. Like I said, I’ve only watched the occasional DWCS show/fight and never saw Brito on there. He’s 26 years old, Brazilian and Chute Boxe affiliated and he’s 12-2-1 with 10 finishes. That’s about all I can find on him. Algeo’s been pretty fun to watch in the UFC so far. Jumped in against Ricardo Lamas on short notice in his debut and, while he lost, he put on a hell of a scrap and instantly made me a bit of a fan. He beat Spike Carlyle after that but then lost his last fight to Ricardo Ramos. 14-6 now and he’s not really going anywhere. Probably a guy they see Brito beating but hopefully it’s a good fight.

DA4713-EE-6786-4-F5-A-946-F-80-AA07-B902

Jamie Pickett vs Joseph Holmes. Not a clue on this. Pickett was supposed to fight newcomer Caio Borralho here but that’s in the bin and he’s got another Octagon newbie. Vaguely familiar with Pickett but nothing really stands out in the memory. He’s 12-6 and coming off a decision win over Laureano Staropoli in October that I know I saw but I’ve already completely forgotten. Holmes (nicknamed ‘Ugly Man’ according to Sherdog) is 26 years old now with a record of 7-1 and all his wins inside the distance. Hasn’t beat anyone you’d know but his lone loss was his MMA debut and it seems he’s been on a tear ever since.

F839-CE76-FE94-41-AE-B834-1-F5-E5-CE7128

Ramiz Brahimaj vs Court McGee. Alright fight, nothing special. I’m a bit fuzzy on Brahimaj. My main memory is his UFC debut against Max Griffin in late 2020. I’m sure it’s one Brahimaj won’t forget in a hurry as well.

137-DC997-C846-4-AF9-A454-F66244-ACDC6-A

Mick Foley in Germany shit. His second trip to the Octagon worked out a lot better and he subbed Sasha Palatnikov in a round. He’s 9-3 now with all 9 wins coming by submission. McGee’s obviously been around forever. Won TUF all the way back in 2010 and has had his moments over the years. He actually has a 2013 points win over Robert Whittaker on his record. Really inspiring backstory as well with him beating a heroin addiction which left him declared dead at one point. He’s 36 now and he’s been floundering in recent years. He’s 4-6 in his last 10 and was on a losing streak before beating Claudio Silva last time. At this stage in both their careers, Brahimaj should probably be winning this.

B9-F5-E883-DF8-A-41-C2-A7-E6-B1-D823-FE5

TJ Brown vs Charles Rosa. OK fight. Can’t really remember a lot of Brown. He’s 15-8 and his UFC run so far hasn’t panned out. He’s gone 1-2 but the win was a very debatable decision over Kai Kamaka which I seem to recall most having Kamaka winning. Rosa’s a scrapper but he’s not really cutting it in the UFC, to be honest. He’s been on a win one/lose one merry-go-round since 2014 now! He’s had some alright wins in there but mostly when he’s stepped up in class he’s came up short. I remember loving his fight with Yair Rodriguez in Mexico years ago but that was 2015 and, again, he lost. Hopefully this over delivers because neither are bad fighters when you watch them, they’re just floundering results-wise.

6-F3-B8-CD7-0-B47-4-E75-A383-63001-DB386

Brian Kelleher vs Kevin Croom. Last minute switch up with Kelleher’s original opponent Saidyokub Kakhramonov dropping out just 3 days out. Should be worth a look though. Kelleher’s fights usually are. He’s been one of my favourite undercard fighters to watch for a bit now. He’s never getting a look in as far as title contention goes. Whenever he’s stepped up a level he’s lost. But he’s always game and always looking for the finish. Can’t really remember much of Croom and he’s had a bit of a dodgy start to his UFC career so far. He’s 21-13-0-1 now. And 0-1-0-1 in the UFC. He did win his debut, stepping in on short notice and submitting Roosevelt Roberts in 31 seconds. But it got overturned to a No Contest after he flunked the weed test. He then lost to Alex Caceres in his next fight.

That’s your lot. He’ll be a couple of weeks late but Slava Claus is coming to town 🎅 🎄 

image.gif.9116688446552e8f3dcc4ed51755746d.gif

Edited by wandshogun09

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

New year, same old fucking shite.

Marcel Dorff’s saying on Twitter that Joaquin Buckley vs Abdul Razak Alhassan and Kleydson Rodrigues vs Zarrukh Adashev are both off. And apparently the Raoni Barcelos vs Victor Henry fight is no longer on the card either. Still 11 days out as well so plenty of time for it to go even more tits up. This is how it’s looking as of now. 

B2DF2C12-B4F2-4398-AB5D-A412CBAA59EE.jpeg

• wandshogun09 changed the title to UFC Vegas: Kattar vs Chikadze - Jan 15 🇺🇸
  • Paid Members
39 minutes ago, Kfogg1991 said:

Please fucking tell me Pereira is still on the card he's one of my favorite fighters 

The reports say the UFC are looking for a replacement so the plan is to keep him on the card, for now at least. Don’t expect anyone who’s an established name to step in on this kind of notice though. My guess is it’ll either be someone who’s recently forgot on a smaller show and looking to get their foot in the door, or it’ll be someone off DWCS. Hopefully they find someone because this card really can’t afford to lose fights. 

• Paid Members

Wouldn’t mind that at all but all depends if Connelly is fit and good to go on a week’s notice. Plus Connelly won the first fight, there’s no real incentive to jump in on short notice now to beat a guy he already has a win over.

The most realistic option I can think of is Jack Della Maddalena. He’s a Welterweight Aussie, 10-2 with 9 finishes, on a 10 fight winning streak and was supposed to fight Warlley Alves at UFC 270 but Alves pulled out injured this past week. So he’ll already be in shape and on weight.

So both 170, both were training to fight within a week of each other anyway and both just lost their opponents. It seems like the easiest fix ever.

7 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

its fight week!!!

I am actually so glad and excited for anything ufc now after 4 weeks off but saying that this card is actually quite fun.

I have quite severe autism and my week is built with routine so having no ufc and my routine broken has been a nightmare for me.