WWE 2K22 actually looks like it might be quite decent

scratchdj

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

I bet it's got a pretty tiny roster as well, unless they're going to pad it out with legends. 

If they continue the exponential rate of cuts, 2K23 will have the same size roster as the Super NES games used to!

• Awards Moderator

Controls don't look that different.

image.thumb.png.ab89e92df3fecb36ab28fb8a87067d17.png

And the music is straight out of 2000. It's not actually going to be any different is it? Luckily it will be on sale about 4 weeks after release so we can hold on until then.

• Paid Members

It'll be the same game as always. Those poor developers must be having breakdowns around the clock with the amount of releases that are happening imagine the man hours just wasted on dozens of moves, graphics and models, never to be seen. 

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, chokeout said:

It'll be the same game as always. Those poor developers must be having breakdowns around the clock with the amount of releases that are happening imagine the man hours just wasted on dozens of moves, graphics and models, never to be seen. 

I thought they swapped development teams / houses midway through the last one, which was part of the reason it was such a state. 

If I've remembered that right then If there ever was going to be any great shake-up now is the time, a relatively fresh team on it needing to make up good will for the last release and downward critical review for years before it. 

I'm sure you are right and it will just be the same old assets dumped out poorly, but if they ever were going to put some creativity in then surely its now. 

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, Tommy! said:

I thought they swapped development teams / houses midway through the last one, which was part of the reason it was such a state. 

If I've remembered that right then If there ever was going to be any great shake-up now is the time, a relatively fresh team on it needing to make up good will for the last release and downward critical review for years before it. 

I'm sure you are right and it will just be the same old assets dumped out poorly, but if they ever were going to put some creativity in then surely its now. 

Not swapped per se. Visual Concepts, the developers, had assisted Yukes for a few years in developing the games, but 2K20 was the first one Visual Concepts had taken the helm of and did so solo. So I think it was a case of, Yukes (the game engine developers) were no longer around so Visual Concepts didn’t have their expertise to fall back on, and we ended up with the hot mess of 2K20.

I think Visual Concepts were given the time to either get up to speed properly with the existing game engine, or develop something usable for 2K22 whilst another developer worked on Battlegrounds. But as it is, 2K22 itself has been delayed until March so will be the first WWE game to actually be released in the year in its title, and miss the pre-holiday season where parents will be asking kids what they want for Christmas. I don’t want to sound doom and gloom, but 2K22 is probably going to be make-or-break for Visual Concepts. If this game goes down the pan, I can see 2K cutting their losses and either seeking another developer, or just dropping the franchise entirely.

Edited by Your Fight Site

• Awards Moderator

Not directly related to the thread, I'm sure many of you have found Wrestling Bios on YouTube. He's made these cracking videos about attitude era wrestling games, eg. 

Great research too, lots of behind the scenes stuff. 

Edited by Onyx2