UFC Vegas: Vieira vs Tate - Nov 20 🇺🇸

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

6 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, Kfogg1991 said:

What a shocking dud this show turned out to be. Every fight bar 1 went to the judges. It was just all together a massive drop not that I had much excitement for this card anyway.

I hear you and I’m not for one second gonna pretend this was a great show but finishes don’t always equal good fights. Frank Mir vs Mirko Cro Cop had a brutal finish. Mark Hunt vs Bigfoot Silva 1 went the distance and ended as a draw. You tell me which you’d rather rewatch. Fuck, we’re literally coming right off the heels of Gaethje vs Chandler and Holloway vs Rodriguez, the two best fights of the year, and they both went to the scorecards. I totally get  why you didn’t enjoy this one and I’m all for saying a card was cack when it was cack but fights going to the judges isn’t always the best indicator of a card’s quality. It’s the fact that most of the fights on this one were dull that hurt this show. Considering the run of incredible cards we’ve had recently, we were probably due a lacklustre one. And we did at least get Yanez vs Grant. 

Thought Vieira vs Tate wasn’t bad in spells myself. Wasn’t anything to write home about and there were parts of it that were slow but on the whole it was decent enough. Didn’t think Tate looked very good at all though. I’ve been saying I didn’t really have a good feeling about her comeback but I hoped she’d prove me wrong because the division could really do with her in the title mix at the moment. But I haven’t been convinced by the whole ‘Miesha Tate 2.0’ thing from the off and I thought some of the talk after she beat Marion Renau was a bit much. I like her and I wanted to be wrong but I just didn’t see any significant improvements in her game that made me think she could make a real run at the gold and I certainly wasn’t convinced she’d closed the gap on Nunes. If anything, I think a rematch there would be even more hard to watch now. It sounds harsh but since their fight at UFC 200 Nunes has only got better, Tate has only got older.

image.gif.bb21b0ecdfbe860e99c60223a4ba4632.gif

Can you fucking imagine how badly Nunes would’ve made her pay for that shit? 🤣

As for the fight itself, is it just me who thought Vieira was winning a little more clearly than the commentary seemed to have it? She wasn’t dominating or anything but it felt to me like the commentators were kind of pushing the Tate agenda in the first 3 rounds before it became clear it was going Vieira’s way. It was a bit frustrating at times because whenever Vieira actually put some punches together she was having success but she spent a lot of time just watching and waiting. She really busted Tate up as it went on though.

3-BAF97-B6-14-B0-428-E-A063-9-E2-E591-E9

Not sure where Tate goes from this. I haven’t watched any post-fight interviews yet but she seemed quite positive in the cage after the fight so I can see her fighting on. Just don’t see her having much success at this stage. Looking back, she didn’t look amazing against a 44 year old retiring Reneau. Now she’s just got beat up by Vieira who wasn’t exactly on the best of form herself before this. I’m not sure who Tate actually beats in the Top 10 in 2022, much less getting in the title shot convo. It’s a shame but I just don’t think it’s gonna work out for her. Can see them maybe throwing her in another headliner with Holly Holm or something next. That’s a rematch Holm’s expressed interest in and it’s two former champions, two veterans, two decent names etc. But again, it’s a fight I see Tate losing. Vieira will probably be put through the Nunes meat grinder at some point next year just because they’re running out of options. 

Brady vs Chiesa didn’t catch fire like I’d hoped it would and it kind of made me cool off my expectations for Brady a little bit. There were things he did that were good and the way he was able to repeatedly take Chiesa down and control him, take his back and stuff was impressive. But he looked iffy every time they were on the feet to me and the momentum really seemed to be turning at the end of the third, to the point I’m not sure Chiesa wouldn’t have taken over if it was a 5 rounder. It was a learning fight for Brady and his first real step up so there’s probably way better to come from him. And in fairness, the two eye pokes at the start probably played a big part in why he was hesitant and mostly ineffective on the feet. But it was a weird one. 

Taila Santos delivering the only finish on the card…

6CFF21A0-CA6E-4DB7-8477-F47407582D83.gif

Gutted for Wood but I always had mixed feelings on her ever getting a title shot anyway. I’d have liked to have seen her get the shot just because she’s nearly been there a couple of times and we’ve had worse get shots in that division. It’d be a shame if she never gets at least one crack at the gold. But on the other hand, she’d have got annihilated by Shevchenko anyway so I’m glad she’s been spared that. I said in the opening post that I thought this would be Santos’ coming out party. I think she might’ve just earned herself the title shot. I’ve been saying she’s the darkhorse of the Flyweight division for a while now but I still don’t think she’s ready for Shevchenko. I think it’s still a few fights too early for her yet but she’ll probably be thrown in there because Shev’s already schooled everyone else. She’s definitely derserving. 19-1, on a 4 fight winning streak and her only loss was a split decision. She’s been improving with each fight but she’ll have to step it up several gears to dethrone Shevchenko. I don’t see it but who knows? She’s got as good a chance as any and I think she has a better chance than Val’s last few victims. 

If you skipped this show and are thinking of watching anything off it, make it Yanez vs Grant. What a fight. If you’ve seen either fight before, you knew it was gonna be good. Neither are ever in boring fights so throwing them in with each other was always gonna result in chaos. Loved it. And again, best thing on the card by miles and it went the distance. Finishes aren’t the be all, end all. Wasn’t for lack of trying here though. They were trying to take each other’s head off the whole 15 minutes. Grant gave him all he could handle and his weird movement and unorthodox and awkward striking style seemed to be throwing Yanez off at times but Yanez just kept tagging him and busting him up.

B6-BC1-B7-B-6712-4851-B74-B-359-A798-B51

06097-C01-EE40-45-EE-B258-D5-B60-EFFCBC1

His ear nearly fell off but he got the win and yet another FOTN bonus. Weird scoring for this one. I had Yanez winning but I can kind of see why the judges could’ve scored it either way, so the split didn’t really surprise me. But the one judge having it 30-27 for Grant was well off. By Grant’s reaction he obviously thought he had it as well. It was close but I definitely thought Yanez did the better work overall. Think I only had Grant winning the 2nd but it was a belting fight. Wish this was the main event, to be honest. I don’t care that they’re not names like Miesha Tate. This was always gonna be the best thing on this card and another 2 rounds could’ve really pushed it to the next level. We might’ve got 3 FOTY contenders in 3 consecutive weeks! 

Prelims weren’t much cop really. Pat Sabatini looks like he might be a bit of a handful. Someone to keep tabs on for the future. Was happy to see Loopy Godinez pick up a win. Crazy how active she’s been. What did DC say, 3 fights in 40 something days? There’s still 3 cards left this year as well. Wouldn’t be surprised if she tries to get another one in before Christmas.

The main talking point from the prelims though was Cody Durden. If you didn’t see it he beat Aori Qileng then said something like “I had to send him back to China where he came from” in his post-fight interview. It was met with a few seconds of dead air then DC awkwardly laughed and wrapped up the interview sharpish. He handed over to Brendan Fitzgerald, who seemed stuck for words and swiftly handed over to Heidi Androl, who proceeded to stumble over her words worse than I’ve ever heard her. Social media being how it is, it didn’t take long for these old tweets to surface…

5-DE3-C391-B2-C6-49-E5-87-DF-98-BBB0-E06

8627-CB8-B-14-B2-4-D52-BF5-D-FE25-CF446-

He’s since put out a half-arsed apology but it’s one of them ‘sorry if you were offended’ apologies not ‘sorry I was a cunt’ and he’s blaming it on Qileng not shaking his hand at the weigh in or some bollocks. Doesn’t explain the above tweets though. Another day, another MMA fighter outed as a rancid cretin.

Muhammad Mokaev has already said he’s down to twat Durden. Wouldn’t mind seeing that at all for Mokaev’s debut. 

So yeah. Not much of a card but there are always taking points. The Yanez vs Grant fight was quality and we had two much needed fresh contenders emerge for Nunes and Shevchenko in Vieira and Santos. No UFC next weekend but that Font vs Aldo card in 2 weeks looks class then it’s 269 the week after. 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

I tapped out after the prelims. I went and watched the Crawford/Porter fight and couldnt go back to the UFC after that. They have to leave the Apex. Its absolutely killing my love for the sport, just a soulless, empty experience.

Not sure I would use the phrase 'fresh contender emerging' with regards to the main event. 'Sacrificial lamb' would be more apt. Through the whole fight I was just thinking how light years ahead Nunes is compared to both of them, it's not going to be pretty when either of them are going to be fed to Nunes. 

• Paid Members

😂 yeah, some things shouldn’t need clarifying. No-one’s talked up Amanda Nunes’ dominance more than me on here. You know what I meant. Replace ‘fresh contender’ with ‘fresh victim’ etc. 

The only women in the sport currently who I could see giving Nunes any issues at all would be Cyborg in a rematch, Valentina Shevchenko in a third fight, or maybe at a push Kayla Harrison. Maybe. But Cyborg’s in Bellator, Shevchenko is already 0-2 down/smaller and Harrison is unproven against high level opposition so it’s all guesswork for now, plus she’s probably Bellator bound. 

• Paid Members

Aye, despite being in such great physical condition, Tate looked incredibly slow here against Vieira. And Ketlen herself didn't even look great in victory. They were fighting to be eaten alive in the summer, as Nunes dessert after feasting on Pena. 

Yanez and Grant had a barnburner. What a fight that was. Yanez boxing is so slick, but Grant despite not being just as sexy with his jab, was still finding a home for just as many strikes as Yanez was, especially with the mix of kicks he was throwing. I wouldn't have had any complaints with a 29-28 either way. Thought Yanez won the first, and you could score 2 and 3 to whoever. 

Edited by WeeAl

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

I think Shevchenko has built her reputation to a point now where a 3rd Nunes fight makes perfect sense. If Shevchenko had a bunch of viable contenders maybe not, but these 2 women are so far in front of everyone else.

Definitely and it’s inevitable. Problem is that’s one fight. Aside from that there’s pretty much fuck all for either of them. I don’t mind watching them both just wreck someone every few months but we’re getting to the point now where even the squash match defences are gonna be all rematches soon. There was little interest in say Nunes vs Felicia Spencer and Shevchenko vs Katlyn Chookagian the first time, chances are we’ll be seeing them again at some point in the not too distant future. They were hard sells the first  time when we just thought they had no chance, now we’ve actually seen them get schooled it’s gonna be even less interesting.

Doesn’t help that it seems like whenever anyone of any substance outside the UFC becomes available, they don’t even seem to be that arsed about signing them and Coker swoops in and snaps them up. 

Edited by wandshogun09