Fight Announcement Thread

Egg Shen

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)
On 7/24/2024 at 7:19 PM, wandshogun09 said:

I think an announcement is imminent boys. 

Could this be it?

Yeah, probably gonna be the latest Power Slap bollocks but it’s been a while since we’ve had a big fight announcement and there’s a few big ones waiting to be confirmed. I’ll be happy if we just get a date for Topuria vs Holloway.

Edit - never mind. It was an announcement of an announcement that he’s gonna be making an announcement tomorrow. The big spam faced berk. Full Sphere card is gonna be revealed tomorrow apparently. 

Edited by wandshogun09

I dont follow MMA on social media, so can someone explain whats going to be so good about this Sphere show? My news feed sometimes comes up with Dana hype saying the show will cost $12 mill to do, but in terms of fans actually in the arena, have they explained how the Sphere element will enchance their viewing? Same with the TV viewer, will it make any difference to this aspect?

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

That’s what it is, just a cool visual thing. I’ve seen little clips of stuff from the Sphere on YouTube/Twitter and I’m intrigued to see how a UFC event is gonna look there. Luke Thomas was saying recently that he went to a show there (music gig, I think) and he couldn’t say enough how awesome the experience was. Not sure how well that’s gonna come across on TV but at least it’s something different. The UFC’s production is always smooth but one of the negatives of their shows is they all look exactly the same. Anything that can spice things up a bit, I’m all for it.

The problem with this show in particular is Dana’s been hyping it up as THE greatest most amazing most mind blowing card of all time. I know he’s a promoter and he’s gotta big it up but, like 300, he’s set expectations to a level where whatever they announced wasn’t gonna be good enough. Seen so much complaining about this card. It’s certainly not what Dana was hyping it as but it’s fine. Outside of Topuria vs Holloway, Pereira against someone out of left field or Conor’s comeback, I don’t know what people expected. There simply aren’t as many blockbuster fights as most fans think these days.

Just had a quick look on Twitter and this is the kind of shit that goes on there. Imagine if they’d done UFC 300 at the Sphere, imagine Max’s KO over Gaethje in that setting? Christ. 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

Not confirmed yet but it’s now looking like Topuria vs Holloway is gonna headline the Abu Dhabi PPV (308) in October.

Makhachev vs Tsarukyan 2 was being targeted for this card but Makhachev’s dealing with a hand injury and it’s looking like the Tsarukyan rematch might be pushed back to Dec/Jan. According to Helwani, this is why they’ve switched to Ilia vs Max and that’s the plan now for 308. 

Gotta say I’m chuffed with this. Not Makhachev vs Tsarukyan being delayed obviously, but Topuria vs Holloway in Abu Dhabi is much better than it being at 307 at high altitude in Utah as originally rumoured. Plus if it’s in Abu Dhabi there’s a good possibility it’ll be on at a Euro friendly start time which is obviously a result for us. The idea of watching Topuria vs Holloway live at 10pm almost makes up for the piss take with the Manchester start times at 304. Can’t hurt having Topuria fighting at a time when the Spanish can watch live at a reasonable hour either. 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Sorry for spamming this thread but this is legit apparently. Aldo’s signed a new contract with the UFC…and they’re putting him in another fight that’ll no doubt be decent but one that nobody was asking for…

The threads on this forum like this, minor news, BKK and your event previews are 95% of my MMA info, so am very appreciative of guys like you, Ebb and others taking the time to post here!

As for Aldo, is he just still too good to be doing the random legends fights? I think maybe they think he has another couple of years of average fights against decent guys before they start going down that route. But surely by that point Aldo's stardom would have waned? They should probably strike when the iron is still fairly hot with regards to his star power and get him in some interesting fights.