UFC 269: Oliveira vs Poirier - Dec 11 🇺🇸

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

7 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

7 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

I think Edwards probably does want back in there now, he’s not getting paid sitting on the sidelines. But he’s obviously looked at the current lay of the land at 170 and is seeing there’s no clear next challenger for Usman right now so he’s trying to slot in there. Remember it’s Jorge who pulled out here. Edwards was going to fight in a few weeks. It’s frustrating but I don’t blame him for not taking some replacement on short notice. I’m seeing all over Twitter people acting like Leon’s a bitch but this card is a month out, he’s been training for a striker in Masvidal and now they’re probably trying to chuck Chimaev or Burns at him who would be coming in with completely different styles and game plans to what he’s been preparing for. His title shot hinges on that? And just to save a fight on a card that really doesn’t need it.

I agree, he shouldn't have to fight some one else on 4 weeks notice. He does deserve a title shot....but publicly tweeting that he was now going to sit out and wait is a bad move.

He is well within his rights to try and do that but to come out and opening admit that is a bad mistake. It will anger Dana and he will be the subject of some scathing comments by Dana in the next press conference.

Leon just can't quite catch a break. Luque or Khamzat are going to leap frog him.

Hopefully Usman isn't that banged up from his fight. If he can fight again in 3 months it favours Leon. If he can't fight for another 6 months then it favours Khamzat or Luque as they might get another win under their belt and climb up the rankings.

I'm sure it's happened before, but when was the last time a fighter had a fight booked....that fell through due to injury....and then the next fight they were booked in was a title fight?

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Zebra Kid Mark said:

I agree, he shouldn't have to fight some one else on 4 weeks notice. He does deserve a title shot....but publicly tweeting that he was now going to sit out and wait is a bad move.

He is well within his rights to try and do that but to come out and opening admit that is a bad mistake. It will anger Dana and he will be the subject of some scathing comments by Dana in the next press conference.

Yeah, it was never gonna go over well. But whether he tweets it publicly or just turns down the replacements privately to Dana, it’s the same end result. Dana’s gonna throw a tantrum either way. I’m guessing Edwards will have already been in some kind of contact with Dana, Sean Shelby or whoever before he hit send on that tweet. And however the tone of that went, and we can probably make a good guess, Leon obviously felt the need to just address it that way. Probably assumed ‘Dana’s gonna publicly trash me anyway, fuck it’ and sent the tweet. As soon as he said he wasn’t gonna fight on this card, Dana’s gonna be fuming anyway. Whether he publicly tweeted or not was irrelevant at that point.

Oh and I’m sure nothing will come of it but, in a bit of a swerve…

8EA924A6-15DF-4F60-AC6A-3194BC864B23.jpeg

• Paid Members

So…

On 11/11/2021 at 8:54 AM, wandshogun09 said:

D7053487-FAE7-4-AEA-BC58-EFE3-A8804692.j

Hmmmm 🤔

I never usually cast doubt on why fighters pull out of fights. Like I said, they’re not ‘scared’. That’s silly talk. But Masvidal pulls out with an ‘undisclosed injury’ and now this? If Covington vs Masvidal gets announced in the next month or so then it’s all gonna make sense. Is there a season of TUF coming up or something? If so, whack them on there as coaches.

Probably be way off the mark now and the coaches will turn out to be some boring ham and eggers but I’ve got a feeling the announcement is imminent.

B5A00337-6A92-4F7A-A64A-EEA91E0CD1D0.jpeg

Edited by wandshogun09

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Yeah Cruz is a dick. Can’t say I’m a fan of Cormier on commentary myself though, to be honest, but I don’t really get why Cruz felt the need to criticise DC during fight week. Bit weird. Haven’t watched this myself yet but they’ve sat down and talked about it.

Not sure why we needed a whole video of what’s really something of nothing, but there it is.

Like I said, I’m not a fan of DC’s commentary but Cruz hardly has room to talk. He might ‘do his homework’ but he’s boring as fuck and all I ever remember of his calls is 1) the time he claimed Conor McGregor was deliberately letting Khabib smash him to bits as a tactic to tire him out. 2) constantly banging on about early stoppages ever since he lost to Cejudo to drive home that he was robbed (he wasn’t). And 3) this gem…

• Paid Members

Aye I was surprised when I seen that Cruz came out and said that. Strange that he'd go out of his way to criticise what I assume to be a mate of his, publicly, for no real reason. 

I'm not sure about the commentary in general these days. Anik is great. Fitzgerald is good as a deputy as well. I liked Bisping and DC the other night with each other as it was interesting to see too wildly successful guys disagree with each other on air over several things regarding strategy, judging etc. 

Felder has his moments and is a work in progress. Bisping has grown on me more. I feel DC has regressed a bit (possibly the Rogan effect, who knows). Cruz is like listening to yer man reading out the classified scores when he gets to the Scottish Third Division. 

Who else do we think could be worth a shot at the table?

• Paid Members

Yeah DC’s got worse for me. I really don’t enjoy listening to him these days but he’s still preferable to Cruz. Bisping and Felder are my favourite fighters-turned-commentators these days.

As for who else would be worth a shot, I’m sure there are a bunch of them who’d be good at it. It’s finding that balance between someone being a good analyst, entertaining to listen to and not having a grating voice. Cruz is only the first one and even then he’s had his moments there as mentioned earlier with the Khabib-McGregor and Andrade slam examples. Dan Hardy wasn’t everyone’s cup of tea on colour either and he wasn’t my favourite either but he’s a good example of someone who’s much better as an analyst than a full on commentator. His breakdowns on his YouTube are great, much better than listening to him shouting for 3 hours Octagonside.

I think Anthony Smith could do well in the role, to be honest. He already does the studio analyst stuff and he’s pretty good at that so it seems like the natural progression. There’s probably a few I’m overlooking. But really I just wanna hear Derrick Lewis in the booth. Even if it’s just for one night.

Oh and just a reminder that Cody Garbrandt is a cunt. And I hope he gets sparked tomorrow night.