The Best Goal You’ve Seen In Person (Sorry, Chest)

Frankie Crisp

• Paid Members

Christian Eriksens free kick at Bramall Lane in the league cup semi is probably up there, from where I was sat it was real “he’s not shooting from this angle” stuff.

I had a massive soft spot for Ronaldo’s back heel against Hungary in Euro 2016 (followed by a trademark “leap like salmon” header for his second) but context helped what with him dragging Portugal through a spot with two great but very different finishes, at a time where the Ronaldo v Messi debate was at its a peak with the mates I was there with.

Although for technique it’s probably this one from Shaqiri in the second round mere days later ;

https://youtu.be/NAhJor6C4ik

Edited by air_raid

David Seal scored a plethora during the 1995/6 season including this one on the opening day vs Blackpool (2m 50ish)

Aside from that Mark Hughes scoring a beast of a goal vs Barcelona for Blackburn in a pre season friendly was magic http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/b/blackburn_rovers/1487681.stm#:~:text=Blackburn 3-2 Barcelona,volleyed home the decisive goal.

Most Comical Best Goal was vs Chesterfield at home in the mid 1990s. One of the Chesterfield defenders spliced a clearance into the air on the edge of their area. It skyrocketed into the air and stayed there for what seemed like forever before looping over Billy Mercer in the Chesterfield goal. Might even be on the season review linked above. 

• Paid Members
13 hours ago, PunkStep said:

Well colour me shocked!!

Apart from grassroots, this is probably the best goal I've seen live ☹️

fuck you, @tiger_rick

This one is high on my list. Obviously, it's a fucking great goal, but the context is important. We got promoted back to back in 03/04 and 04/05 into the Championship after two decades in the doldrums. We escaped relegation to the conference miraculously in 98/99 having been 12 points adrift at one point but in typical Hull city fashion, it's barely remembered in the wider world because we pulled away from danger and then Jimmy Glass did his thing in the last minute of the season! We'd also been in administration twice. We survived relegation from the Championship due to the incompetence of others (Leeds) in 06/07 and then went and won the play-offs a year later to go into the top flight for the first time in our history (104 years at that point). A few months later, we go away to Arsenal having made a reasonable start save the absolute dicking at home to Wigan. We're having a beer under the stand when the team news comes on Setanta Sports. Phil Brown is playing 3 up front away at Arsenal. The absolute fucking melt. I think it was 0-0 at half time then we went behind to a McShane OG. And then Geovanni did that. I've never celebrated like it before or since. Not even the 4 times at Wembley. Just insane. And then we fucking won. Daniel Cousin, near post header. Sorry Punker.

Speaking of Wembley, I obviously can't leave out Dean Windass's goal. It's one thing to make the top flight after 104 years. It's another for a Hull lad to score the winner aged 39. It's another for it to be a technically magnificent volley. Only disappointment was it was at the wrong end.

Mo Diame did score at the right end though. Our club is a shambles at the moment. But holy fuck have we been spoiled. Imagine winning the play off final twice. Winning 1-0 twice. And these are the two winning goals? It's insane.

Away from Hull City, I saw one England game at the old Wembley when I was 18 and Marcelo Salas did this:

What a beauty.

Recky Carter for Bromsgrove Rovers vs Northampton Town in the FA Cup First Round Proper season 93/94.

I started going to watch Bromsgrove in 1985 and whilst they had got to the First Round of the FA Cup on a number of times whilst I supported them, they had lost every game (vs. Newport County (when they were a league side), vs. Welling, vs Basingstoke) and had never progressed further than that round in the club's history.  In 1993, they were in their second season in the Conference, this after an incredible previous campaign where, in their debut year in the division, they were runners-up to Martin O'Neill's Wycombe Wanderers, whilst Northampton were towards the bottom of Division 3.  Northampton only had a three-sided ground and the away end was open to all the elements, unlike the shelter the home fans got.  Suffice to say, it pissed it down all game and, with zero protection, we got drenched.  Rovers took the lead in the first half through a Rob Shilvock header, then Recky Carter skinned the defender and beat the keeper with less than ten minutes left to send us all potty.  Go to 0:12 for the goal.  Northampton pulled one back but Bromsgrove held on to take their place in the second round of the FA Cup for the first time in their history.

• Paid Members

I've got three, that are hard to choose from for me:

Firstly, the most cleanly struck volley I've seen:

Darren Barnard in the 7-1 hammering of Huddersfield

Then this was hard to watch live, but a great goal:

Trevor Sinclair vs Barnsley at Loftus Road

Finally, another against my club. I loved Ginola as a player, and this was a pleasure to watch:

Ginola vs Barnsley

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I went to pretty much all my games during the 80s and early 90s when all goals were three yard tap-ins after a goalmouth scramble. But this was great in person, as was the whole match.

Probably said this before, because I'm a boring cunt who has been on here too long, but the day or two after that, we had school team trials at lunchtime. I was having a decent game, turned up into the box for a tap in to an empty net, tried the Lee Sharpe back heel, watched it roll past the far post. C Team.

So not a good goal by any means, but the most memorable live goal for me.

So our first season under Farke, I'd say we were bang average and we had the Ipswich game to at least give us something to desperately want to win.

Now this match was pretty uneventful, and pretty much summed up our season at that point under our new manager.

Then just as we are near the end of this drab affair, Ipswich score a rubbish goal, that is so frustrating to concede.

The one thing we had over our historically more successful rivals (recent form in the derby) was about to end in the most awful way.

Then Tim Klose gets an equaliser at the death that erupts a stadium of Narrrrwich supporters, including myself that will never forget that feeling. We were crap, but Ipswich were still not good enough to beat us. It honestly felt like a win!

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I went to pretty much all my games during the 80s and early 90s when all goals were three yard tap-ins after a goalmouth scramble. But this was great in person, as was the whole match.

As massive a Wolves fan as I have been since I can remember, watching Prem and CL football was always akin to watching Serie A on Channel 4 for me. So distant was the gap in quality. And during that time the one player I absolutely adored was Lee Sharpe, always thought Graham Taylor was a knobhead for playing him at Left Back. Such an underrated talent.

• Paid Members

this immediately leapt to mind:

Ryan Giggs: Wales vs. Belgium 1993.

The goal is in the first part of the clip.

It was actually the first game I ever attended. I was 11 years old, and i ended up going to see the majority of the 1994 World Cup qualifying campaign with my Dad. It was a special run of games with one of Wales' best ever teams. Giggs was the one young pheonom that was exciting the country, and he goes and pings the opener in the top corner after 18 minutes from a free kick.

Special goal, special memories.

Edited by Egg Shen