The Best Goal You’ve Seen In Person (Sorry, Chest)

Frankie Crisp

• Awards Moderator

So, football fans, what’s the best goal you’ve ever seen in front of your own eyes?

A league winner? A European last-minute clincher? A third division scrambler that changed your club’s history? A damp Tuesday where you got hypothermia but saw a worldie?

Mine’s, unsurprisingly, this:

This wasn’t just a big bastard of a goal that made it special; we almost went under less than 18 months earlier so to even be in this tie was special. Scoring this was insane. Winning it was something else.

Post the inferior goals you witnessed, if you like.

I saw Wayne Rooney score from the halfway line in an FA Youth Cup match when he was 14 or 15. In person, it's probably the best I've ever seen.

I'm not sure there is a clip anywhere for me to post, unfortunately. It would have been in the very early 2000s, possibly before FA Youth Cup games were being routinely recorded for things like YouTube now.

Edited by 69MeDon

Gazza vs Scotland.

The most 'unusual' goal I've seen has to be Paul Robinson vs Watford. I say seen, but I didn't, I fucking missed it...even though I was sat in my seat.

The free kick was in a very innocuous position, just outside our box, so I thought he'd lump it forward and it would be headed back or out and a bit of shit headed football would ensue.

So I started fiddling with my holdall that I had at my feet, as I was going to Bristol straight after the game to see Deftones, and I heard a cheer and looked up and all the players were running to Robinson.

Like Roger Nouveau Fan from the Fast Show, I had to turn to the guy next to me and say "What just happened?" He looked at me like I'd just pissed on Chas & Dave and said witheringly "Goalie scored" in major scorn face (Spurs fans really are cunts) and chuckled to his mate.

So I was in the stadium when a goalkeeper scored, an incredibly rare occurrence, and fucking missed it.

Lesson learnt: No good can come from going to Spurs or Bristol.

• Paid Members

Me and my dad used to go to Old Trafford a lot before he had a stroke and then got even more ill in the following years that he couldn’t travel anymore. The last time we went together was the Manchester derby and that Rooney bicycle kick goal. I’ll always remember the split second of shock from the crowd before we started cheering. Probably the goal that means the most to me as well. 

• Paid Members

This Lewis McGugan thunderbastard for Forest against Ipswich. Sat in Brian Clough upper, hungover as fuck on the day after my 24th birthday. Not seen anything this special in person since.

Edited by Wretch

• Paid Members

Technically, This piece of complete filth by David Noble against Palace (soz Frankie) in the 07-08 Playoff semis. Best quality video I could find of it.

Emotionally... well duuh.

Edited by seph

• Paid Members

Skip to 5:06. That’s me at the very right of the camera all in black as the goal goes in just before I run behind the net to celebrate with the others.

Hellenic Premier league 16th April 2018. My beloved Thatcham Town away at Highworth Town. They beat us at our place at the start of the season and played really well all season… but so did we! And by the time we met again we were ahead in the league and just needed another win to all but guarantee the championship. That final goal went in and that was it…football was coming home. 

2 hours ago, Wretch said:

This Lewis McGugan thunderbastard for Forest against Ipswich. Sat in Brian Clough upper, hungover as fuck on the day after my 24th birthday. Not seen anything this special in person since.

Wish I'd been there for that one. I still remember Colin Fray's astonished commentary.

For me, unless I'm forgetting something really memorable from another season, it's a case of take your pick from several pearlers from Pierre Van Hooijdonk during the 1997-98 promotion season. I was at tons of games that season and saw some real crackers. Best game I ever went to was Forest vs. Villa from the following season, which finished 2-2 in the end.

4 stand out from various trips to Goodison

Tim Howard v Bolton - freezing cold windy night, we’d go on to lose the game, everyone thought it had dropped and been span over the keeper by, I think, Denis Straqualursi until the replay on the screen showed it had gone straight in from Howard’s kick forward

James McFadden v Fulham - takes a lot to take the spotlight off another goal but Faddy managed it, surpassing James Beattie’s chip from the first half with a 25 yard floating volley to seal the win at the Gwladys Street End

Mikel Arteta v Fiorentina - I’ve spoke about this many times on here, one of the best atmospheres I’ve ever experienced in the Old Lady even though we still went out on pens. No one in the ground expected a shot when he picked the ball up just past the half way, he drove on and lashed it with such swerve that people were thinking it had been deflected. Queue bedlam 

Kevin Mirallas v Stoke - one of, if not the first of, the maligned Belgian’s goals for us, a solo run from just before the half way line, right through the Stoke midfield and finished with a delicate dink over the diving keeper, wound up being the only goal of the game