Bellator 269 - Fedor vs. Johnson (23rd Oct) ๐Ÿ‡ท๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ

Egg Shen

Who you got?  

5 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Well 268 produced tumbleweeds, lets see if Fedor brings some traction ๐Ÿ˜„

20211020_114808.thumb.jpg.98db685c7e4af9680c16317209268ef3.jpg

20211020_114904.jpg.3493a901cacd8923631cdafade00f38c.jpg

Its actually quite sad how little anyone cares about this, but it is one of the most baffling fights Bellator could have put together.

I'll add more about this in the week, buf i wanted to get it up on here cause its completely flying under the radar.

ย 

• Paid Members

Recognised the name Darina Mazdyuk, and looked her up. Apart from looking very nice, she's also that woman who beat a 240kg guy in one of those Russian freakshow bouts, an inter-gender match.

image.png

Her nickname is "Red Queen", which, as we know from Rory MacDonald, would be a shit nickname, except she at least has her hair dyed to reflect that:
DARINA-MAZDYUK.jpg

• Paid Members

Yeah people love Fedor. I think itโ€™s just the choice of opponent thatโ€™s causing total apathy. At this stage in Fedorโ€™s career, if heโ€™s insisting on fighting then I think all people wanna see is him in there with fellow legends from his era. That Josh Barnett fight thatโ€™s been escaping us for well over a decade or even Anderson Silva. Nobody wants to see him against Poundland Barry Darsow. And we certainly donโ€™t wanna see him lose to him and weโ€™re at the stage where thatโ€™s a very realistic possibility now.

Still, Iโ€™ll give it a watch. Iโ€™ll never not tune in to see Fedor and the addition of Minakov, Nurmagomedov and Tokov filling out the main card makes it worthwhile overall. Fucking Baby Fedor Sidelnikov on the prelims as well, I see. Had no idea he was even still fighting.

1 hour ago, Carbomb said:

Recognised the name Darina Mazdyuk
DARINA-MAZDYUK.jpg

99A4DC93-1DB8-423D-A066-45F64EED2A02.gif

Apparently Fedor had quite the list of potential opponents, and decided against all of them in favour of Tim fucking Johnson. He tried to justify the choice as follows:

Tim Johnson had quite a winning streak going on, which obviously shows heโ€™s quite a good fighter. Fighting someone who is spearheading the [division] is always a great opportunity.ย 

He also believes Johnson was a better choice than Junior Dos Santos...

Aside from Tim Johnson, dos Santos for example had a serious streak of losses alongside [his record] and he was also fired from the UFC as well.ย That is why I donโ€™t think it would be very much suitable to fight him compared to Tim Johnson. Not to mention Bellator came up with a bunch of options and Tim was quite an obvious choice.

Fedor clearly chatting shite here. Not sure why he'd pick Johnson over Dos Santos, but it's not because Johnson is "spearheading" anything.

• Paid Members

Haha fucking hell. Yeah heโ€™s talking bollocks there. Itโ€™s all well and good him saying โ€˜well JDS is on a losing streakโ€™ when that losing streak was against Ngannou, Blaydes, Rozenstruik and Gane.ย Iโ€™d like to have seen how Tim Johnson wouldโ€™ve fared against that lot. Meanwhile, Johnson was โ€œspearheadingโ€ with wins over Matt Mitrione and Cheick Kongo before losing his last fight to Moldavsky.

Hadnโ€™t even thought of Fedor vs Dos Santos either, or JDS in Bellator full stop really, but I wouldnโ€™t mind seeing it.ย 

• Paid Members

Its such a baffling choice. Johnson could be a tough night too, hes massive, hits hard and if he gets into a clinch type position will probably over power Fedor. Its a hard fight.

I do quite like Tim Johnson though, his little run of upsets was good to see on his way to a title shot, i dont think anyone ever has him pegged as anything other than a mid-card brawler.

...but yeah, the fight is weird.

• Paid Members

8pm main card start time on iplayer for this tomorrow night, lovely. 5pm for the undercard.

20211023_084849.thumb.jpg.b3b6c21fd28cc05c17bc37fdcb96c419.jpg

few notes;

Vitaly Minakov is the co-main. Former Bellator Heavyweight Champion but long regarded as the most underrated heavyweigh in the sport. He's been inactive in recent years, lost to Cheick Kongo then dusted Tim Johnson early since 2017. Im hoping this is the start of a proper comeback.

Usman Nurmagamedov is back. Potential seems limitless but hes being proper looked after by Bellator. He's a 1/25 favorite tonight so expect a showcase.

Baby Fedor on the prelims. He dips in and out of mainstream consciousness doesnt he? there was a time when there was some genuine excitement about his potential. Bloke hes fighting is a Scottish fella named Robert Truesdale, never heard of him.

Other notable prelim is Irishman Brian Moore. Apparently Moore turned down a fight on the Ireland card to go fight a top Russian prospect on his home turf. Some suds on the bloke. Exciting to watch too.

ย 

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

8pm main card start time on iplayer for this tomorrow night, lovely. 5pm for the undercard.

Guessing thatโ€™s a typo, itโ€™s tonight isnโ€™t it? Nice that itโ€™s on early, although itโ€™s gonna clash with the UFC as well. Typical, we usually only get cards on at ungodly hours over here then when we get 2 in a prime time slot theyโ€™re on at the same time.ย 

• Paid Members

I mean, that should be it for Fedor shouldnt it?

Tim Johnson wasnt a showcase name, but Fedor going in and destroying the #2 ranked heavyweight in Bellator in front of home crowd is about as good as it gets. I guess we could cry for Bader/Fedor II, and Bader could go out the Champ, but with Fedor's team mate Moldavksy holding the interim title i imagine Fedor would rather see him unify anyway.

Decent card other than that. Felt the Russians were all matched favourably, but everything was pretty competitive outside of the Usman Nurmagamedov and Baby Fedor fights. Time for Usman to get a real fight.

7 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

I mean, that should be it for Fedor shouldnt it?

ย In terms of high level MMA I hope so. As you say this was the perfect send off.

I wouldn't be against him destroying some YouTubers/TikTokers in celebrity boxing on his way out though. He still hits really fucking hard and has that handspeed. So him vs Jake Paul or the Russian equivalent in boxing for a nice payday or two would be cool.ย