UFC Vegas: Costa vs Vettori - Oct 23 🇺🇸

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

10 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

watched the prelims before bed as i worked late last night, few thoughts as it was a decent batch:

Jones/Onama was quality. The natural size advantage was the difference, Jones was able to muscle his way through it, but what a debut from Onama. He could be a problem at 145lb. Mason Jones remains must see for me, but i think hes realising the UFC is a different level.

Rodrigues/Park topped it for me though. Just a barmy round and a half. Rodrigues has all the throwback qualities i love, reminds me of a Fabricio Werdum type, he'd have fit right in with Pride. Cracking stuff.

Jai Herbert got a big one which was good to see. Id throw Herbert in with Mason Jones. Two former Cage Warriors Champs, why not?

Molina/Da Silva was real good too. Da Silva looked a monster but seemed to empty his tank in a round. Molina looks the goods, all the James Krause trained fighters are handy.

Good stuff.

• Paid Members

Well, Costa and Vettori battered the lining out of each other for twenty five minutes didn't they? Really good to see Vettori get the nod here after all the bullshit this week. He had to go through some hell, especially in that fifth round, in order to have his arm raised, but he earned it. 

In other results, it's kind of unfair how some people get to be really good at multiple things in life. I mean, you've been the leader of your country. Your body is ripped to shreds. Yet you also get to be a badass fighter along with it? Go and get your slippers Barack and give some other folks a chance. 

• Paid Members

Yeah, really enjoyed Vettori vs Costa. There’s been a lot of good fights this year but, truthfully, nothing that’s really stood out as a FOTY contender so far. I get that probably changes soon, all these stacked cards we’ve got coming up between now and the end of the year will no doubt throw at least one or two into the conversation. But so far, there really hasn’t been a fight that’s stood head and shoulders above like Zhang vs Jedrzejczyk or Figgy vs Moreno 1 did last year. This was one of the most fun fights I’ve seen all year though. How Vettori ate some of those body kicks was insane. 

I was happy to see Vettori get the win as well. Like Al says, after all the shit Costa pulled on fight week it’d have been crap if he’d won the fight as well. I’ve never warmed to Vettori before but he was the babyface by default here. This gave me a chuckle as well…

I’ll probably be back to thinking he’s a bit of a twat again when he fights someone I like but, for now, he’s turned babyface for me. Not sure where he goes next though because he’s very unlikely to get another title shot as long as Adesanya is the champ. But the other names you’d see as logical next opponents for him like Whittaker, Brunson and Cannonier are all already booked and he’s already beat Hermansson and Holland. I’m sure I’m overlooking someone but nobody obvious is jumping out at me. 

Aside from the main event, it was one of those cards where I liked the prelims more than the main card. I was happy to see Bruce Leroy and Jessica Rose Clark pick up wins though. And Negumereanu blasting through Hurricane Ike was a lively way to kick off the main card. 

Rodrigues vs Park was such an entertaining scrap as said above. Old Barack ObaMMA has gone 2-0 now in the UFC. 2-0 in wins and 2-0 in really good rucks. Looking forward to seeing a lot more of him. I get the feeling he won’t advance too far up the ladder in the Middleweight division but I could be wrong on that. Plenty of appealing matchups to throw him in regardless. Nice to see these two get FOTN. I was expecting it’d go to the main event, with Vettori getting Costa’s bonus as well but it was probably fairer how they did it with these two getting FOTN and Vettori getting a POTN because fuck Costa.

Mason Jones vs David Onama was another really good battle to watch. Happy to see Jones finally get that elusive first Octagon victory but, like Ebb said, Onama made a hell of a first impression, especially given the short notice. I thought he looked quality, I’ll definitely be making a point to catch his next fight.

Jeff Molina again put on a great showing. Had to weather an early storm but he looked a right handful after that and got the stoppage. He’s one of those fighters like Brandon Royval who you can tell will make for a fun fight with pretty much anyone on the roster. Actually, there’s a surefire barnburner for the future, Molina vs Royval! Can you fucking imagine?

Nice to see Randa Markos get a convincing win for once. Souza had a good start but I thought Randa had one of her better performances once she turned it up a gear in the last two rounds. It’s delaying the inevitable, I like her but she’s just not gonna cut it against anyone higher up the rankings. But for now, she’s saved her spot on the roster. 

The finish from Jai Herbert was class. Much needed as well. Like Mason Jones, he came in with a bit of buzz but got off to a shaky start in the UFC. This was more like it though. 

5E9A43CB-C448-4D8C-8E5A-A9C6BD3F4104.gif

Vettori/Costa was lots of fun. You get the feeling Costa can do what he wants because hes exactly the type of fighter that Dana wanks over. Case in point, all the weight nonsense was definately forgot about by Dana after the fight, as Costa just put on a belting stand up fight. Bisping was channeling Joe Rogan in the main event too, getting obsessed with Costa gassing out. Sure, he looked tired, but every single round Costa was putting the pressure on and landing bombs. Only by R5 was Bisping back pedalling; it went from "All that extra weight puts insane pressure on your body and gas tank" in R1, to "He hasnt had a gruelling weight cut, which is helping his gas tank" in R5