UFC Vegas: Ladd vs Dumont - Oct 16 🇺🇸

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

6 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

When we consider the sheer depth to a lot of the upcoming and recent PPV cards I think we can forgive these shows for being weak. As I've said before, these are just the equivalent of the "fight night" boxing type cards we've seen in the US for years. A chance for prospects to move on up in the rankings, and for solid middle-of-the-road "names" to either win and bank some coin, or lose and boost a newcomer a little.

As MMA fans we're kind of spoiled to an extent. 

Edited by David

• Paid Members

Yeh thats how im seeing it now. Im happy to skip certain shows now or just cherry pick fights from them. If it was the only show in a calender monty it'd be different, but by the time you've complained about one you are hit with a monster PPV.

The Apex isnt helping. As much as ive grown the dislike the environment, the UFC has no obligation to sell tickets, so they can basically do what they want with these shows to fulfill their TV contract.

We cant complain about the quality of the PPV's though, the UFC are putting in higher level shows than ever before.

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members

It’s the fact we’ve had a few on the bounce that makes it shitter though. Fight Nights don’t necessarily have to be this crap, as we see with the Holloway vs Rodriguez and Aldo vs Font ones coming up. Like you say though, the fact they’re playing to empty chairs at the Apex means they can sling any old shite out there because they don’t have to worry about ticket sales at all and the ESPN TV rights are still being fulfilled. I’m looking forward to things picking up over the next few weeks though. From 267 at the end of the month on, the rest of the year looks incredible. 

For me, Fight Nights are where we see up & coming talent do their thing and try to win their way onto a PPV show. We also see "names" on the downward slide trying to fight back into relevance. 

If they can throw us a decent main event then great, but let's be honest, there's too much UFC content as it is. I could happily tune in for the PPV's and be happy enough with that.

• Paid Members

Yeah and that’s fine. I’m not expecting them to be loaded every time but it’s not too much to ask to do better than fucking Ladd vs Dumont or Eye vs Calvillo for a main event. That’s scraping the barrel even for a Fight Night. 

9 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

Yeah and that’s fine. I’m not expecting them to be loaded every time but it’s not too much to ask to do better than fucking Ladd vs Dumont or Eye vs Calvillo for a main event. That’s scraping the barrel even for a Fight Night. 

Need to remember that they don't do the matchmaking then find a date that suits, they have the date then have to find fighters who are available on those dates, which isn't always easy. It's likely double difficult with fighters being restricted by the travel situation. 

Personally, I didn't even watch those fights. On this card I watched the Arlovski, Jim Miller, Bruno Silva and Danny Roberts fights. That's four bouts, which is fine. If I see three or four fights I'm interested in when these Fight Night cards roll around I'm happy enough.

Who the main event is doesn't matter. We could have stuck Arlovski on top for this card. Makes no difference. I'd still be forwarding through the Ladd fight regardless.

• Paid Members

See this is where I go wrong. I can’t do that. I look at a card like this going in and think I’ll just cherry pick, but I end up watching the rest, even though I know it’ll probably be wank, just because I think I might miss something unexpectedly good. I usually end up watching most of the stuff on these cards, even if some of it is skimming through or just having it on in the background while I’m sorting the kids out or whatever. I should probably wean myself off but I know I won’t so I’ll just keep watching shite and moaning about it, I guess. 

AAD760B9-7FEA-4731-B0B8-959776DD40CF.gif

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, David said:

That's just torture, mate. I simply couldn't sit through most of these Fight Night cards.

It was worse before the kids. I used to stay up and watch a lot of them live then. Granted there weren’t as many Fight Nights back then but still. For the incessant ad breaks alone, I don’t know how I did it. At least now I watch the next day so I can skip the breaks and get on with suffering through round 3 of the latest Jake Collier fight. 

Edited by wandshogun09