UFC 268: Usman vs Covington 2 - Nov 6 🇺🇸

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

13 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I hate Colby like I hate right wing, political grifters.  We all know they are playing a character, and saying what they say just to make money. I'm sure some of them are polite in person, but that doesn't mean what they are doing is suddenly ok and not completely fucking evil. I'm sure alot of them have fans who think they are amazing because they are "working the marks lol".

Personally I think using a public platform to make race baiting comments or insulting family members is absolutely appalling behaviour. Hand waving that away because it makes money is like hand waving away twats like Katie Hopkins. Like her, Colby Covington is someone I just don't want to see at all anymore.

Edited by Cousin Jim Bob

• Paid Members

Fight of the year has been all sewn up, and the award is going to Gaethje Vs Chandler. I'm trying to think what else comes close, maybe Chandler Vs Oliveira? There have been a lot of good fights this year, but very few that are going to be able to stand up against the absolute mayhem that Chandler and Gaethje inflicted on each other the other night. Poirier Vs Oliveira could be that type of fight too. I would say Holloway Vs Yair as well, only being in the Apex on a fight night will hold that back a bit you would think. 

It's also got to be said, this was an incredible show. I didn't see Fight Pass prelims, but fuck me, the TV prelims right through to the main event, every one of them delivered something extremely worthwhile. 

Usman Vs Covington was a competitive fight though slightly less so than their first encounter. Yet it was just as exciting. Usman is putting together an exceptional resume. Imagine he adds a second win over Leon Edwards and say, Khamzat Chimaev to that list? My head hurts thinking about how good that resume could look when it's all said and done. 

Rose and Zhang was extremely close I thought. I scored it for Rose 3-2, but wouldn't have been a bit surprised if she lost it by a round. Rose is never in a dull fight, is she?

It was sad to see Frankie Edgar lose like that. Especially to Chito Vera, in a fight that I thought Frankie had won all three rounds before his face began to look like the pumpkin I carved about three weeks ago. 

Shane Burgos and Billy Q had a really fun fight too, and those low calf kicks of Burgos absolutely paid dividends. He needed that win and the body shots and calf kicks really made the difference. Still think Burgos has a bit of rehabbing to do and hopefully he gets a similar level of opponent next, to have the chance to put a bit of a run back together. 

Edited by WeeAl

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, WeeAl said:

It was sad to see Frankie Edgar lose like that. Especially to Chito Vera, in a fight that I thought Frankie had won all three rounds before his face began to look like the pumpkin I carved about three weeks ago. 

Yeh was sad to see. Frankie just looked so small and outgunned in there. He was arguably ahead at the time of the stoppage but it just always felt like the KO was coming.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Egg Shen said:

Yeh was sad to see. Frankie just looked so small and outgunned in there. He was arguably ahead at the time of the stoppage but it just always felt like the KO was coming.

This is what I was thinking. He’s a former Lightweight champ yet somehow he still looked small when he was in there with Featherweights and still looks small even when he’s fighting Bantamweights! Makes you really stop and realise, he had no business surviving those couple of Gray Maynard first round onslaughts in their second and third fights. Let alone actually knocking Gray out himself. There was a time not long ago when I still thought something like Edgar vs Dominick Cruz would be fun but I’m at the point now where I just don’t wanna see Frankie in there anymore. It feels like Chuck Liddell at the end, where he still looks in shape and looks good when he’s on the offence, but once he gets tagged he just can’t stand up to the big shots anymore. The old saying in Boxing and MMA is that every fighter has a ‘punch card’ with a certain limited number of shots they can absorb on there. Seems like Frankie’s maxed out around the time of the Ortega fight. He’s never been quite right since.

In lighter news, I think Michael Chandler is finally winning me around 🤣

Edited by wandshogun09

17 hours ago, Cousin Jim Bob said:

I hate Colby like I hate right wing, political grifters.  We all know they are playing a character, and saying what they say just to make money. I'm sure some of them are polite in person, but that doesn't mean what they are doing is suddenly ok and not completely fucking evil. I'm sure alot of them have fans who think they are amazing because they are "working the marks lol".

Personally I think using a public platform to make race baiting comments or insulting family members is absolutely appalling behaviour. Hand waving that away because it makes money is like hand waving away twats like Katie Hopkins. Like her, Colby Covington is someone I just don't want to see at all anymore.

Absolutely, but the main point I was making is that Colby didn't come into the UFC like this. That someone who is 7-1 in the company, with 4 wins by stoppage is being told that win or lose they are likely being cut is a damning indictment of where the sport is. 

I'd wager that if that threat hadn't been made before the Maia fight we would not have gotten the trashy post-fight interview, and we wouldn't have the shit that followed. He'd be an extremely talented, cocky but fairly unremarkable personality-wise fighter who would still have gotten the wins he has now. But probably not the title shots.

The fans, as a whole, want this. Which in turn means that Dana White and the UFC want this. 

Watch the interview I posted on the last page. Covington is, in my opinion, an intelligent, engaging dude with a ton of confidence and the skills in the cage to go far (as he has since). I was a fan of his back then, being the Fitch-loving grappling aficionado that I am, and thought he could go far.

It's also worth pointing out that unlike someone like McGregor (or in another industry, Katie Hopkins), who came in with the same persona he's always had, Colby "developed" his after he'd fought eight times in the company, and only after threat of being cut. That really tells you all you need to know as far as how legit it all is. 

But the fans love it. Dana loves it. Which is why we'll see more guys being somewhat forced into this kind of shit in the future. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Sorry to bump this thread but just seen this. Sounds like Al Iaquinta is done after the loss to Bobby Green on this card. 

Very rare you hear a fighter actually say they “gave up” and were “looking for a way out” in a fight. I think it’s been fairly obvious for a while that his heart hasn’t been in MMA and it’s not the game you wanna be in if you’ve got one foot in and one foot out. Interesting that he brings up the Gaethje vs Chandler fight there. I guess that’s the contrast. Those guys are all the way in. Iaquinta’s making his money selling houses and stuff, MMA is his secondary job. Not surprising he’s thinking of jacking it in. He must look at a fight like Gaethje vs Chandler and know he doesn’t have the fight in him to hang with those guys so what’s the point? I’m sure a lot of guys in the division feel the same deep down but unfortunately they don’t have the options outside MMA like Iaquinta does so they keep going.