UFC 268: Usman vs Covington 2 - Nov 6 🇺🇸

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

13 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

I can absolutely see Gaethje getting another title shot if he wins tonight. Which, purely from a fights perspective, we can’t lose either way. It’s either Gaethje vs Oliveira, which would be a lot of fun, or Gaethje vs Poirier 2 in a rematch of one of the best fights of the last few years. Dana seems to have a hard on for Chandler as well. He’s only had 2 fights in the UFC, has gone 1-1 and he’s being talked about for another crack now?

Fuck where they’re ranked. They’ve both lost decisively in their most recent fights, that were also title shots. And Gaethje sat out a whole year after which Dana usually hates. Makhachev’s won and finished 3 in a row since Gaethje last fought, he’s started finishing opponents etc. He could’ve probably done with one more big name win to really cement his case for the next shot but of who’s around now, and the timing, I don’t get the argument for Gaethje or Chandler over Makhachev at all. Get some new blood in the title mix.

My ideal scenario is Oliveira vs Makhachev for the belt next year. That’s a crazy fight and the closest we’re ever gonna get to seeing that doomed Khabib vs Ferguson fight that got away. 

• Paid Members

but then you have to consider Beneil Dariush? the forgotten man. He's ranked #3 and on his 7 fight win streak.

Why not do Makhachev/Dariush, ranked #3 and #4 which sounds great! then around midway year once shit is sorted the winner is getting their shot.

• Paid Members

Yeah Dariush should be up there as well. That’s what I’m saying, get the new blood up there. Makhachev vs Dariush would be great. I’m just not a fan of the merry-go-round of the same few names in the title picture all the time. It’s what stifles guys coming up, like Makhachev and Dariush, and Oliveira had it for years as well. The same few top guys all just keep fighting each other so the top ranking positions stay on the same names for ages, meaning the title fights usually feature some combination of the same few faces unless someone gets an opportunity, like Oliveira eventually did, and breaks through.

I’d be absolutely fine with Makhachev vs Dariush next. But you just know they’ll give Gaethje or Chandler the title shot and then somehow shoehorn Conor McGregor into the mix again whenever he returns, especially if Poirier is the champ by then. And it’s not like McGregor even needs to be involved in the title picture to sell PPVs but you know they’re desperate to find a way to insert him in there, despite the shitty run he’s on. Makhachev and Dariush could still be waiting a while no matter what they do. 

• Paid Members

I guess the best outcome for Makhachev would be if Chandler wins tonight and Oliveira beats Poirier. Because surely it’s too soon for Oliveira vs Chandler 2? Even then we’ll probably see McGregor walk, sorry limp, straight back into an immediate title shot.

Ah sod it. Gaethje vs Chandler is a great fight. There’s so much depth to this card. I keep forgetting about Burgos vs Quarantillo, Ian Garry’s debut, Alex Pereira’s debut, possibly Frankie Edgar’s swansong etc. 

1 hour ago, Dzeko10 said:

Will be watching from midnight, that one hour earlier start time is a bloody godsend. Main should be finished by 4 hopefully if there are finishes. 

I can't speak for the under card but this main card has big finishes written all over it. I can absolutely see the opening fight/co-main/main event ending in a finish. 

• Paid Members

What an absolute banger of a card this is. Coming off the back of last week's show too? Lovely times considering the string of uninteresting fight night's throughout October. 

Gaethje Vs Chandler really can't be anything other than great. Namajunas and Zhang are rarely in a dull fight. Usman Vs Covington I was brilliant. Edgar Vs Vera? Billy Q and Shane Burgos?

It's like somebody watched Jerry Maguire and replaced 'money' with 'action'. Show me the fucking action alright. 

Predictions:

Usman (undecided whether he will finish him, though I think he'll clearly win. 49-46, 50-45 or another KO). 

Namajunas by decision. 

Gaethje by KO

Edgar by decision (this is a tough one, but if Frankie can establish his wrestling early enough in the first round, I think he might do it.)

Shane Burgos by decision. 

Pereira by KO

Bobby Green by decision

Imavov by decision

Phil Hawes by decision

And Gian Villante is over 260lbs now? Jesus Christ. Barnett by forfeit due to Gian being preoccupied eating his bodyweight at a hot dog cart on 7th Avenue. 

• Paid Members

some prelim thoughts (main card going on soon).

6 straight KO's, has that ever happened before?

Alex Pereira and Ian Garry's debuts were similar. Neither were as flawless as people would have expected, but both closed the show in ridiculous fashion. Exciting shit.

Joe Rogan's hard-on for Pereira was a bit much though. So much so that at one point i started hoping he'd lose.

Bobby Green continues to be one of the most under appreciated fighters in the sport. Took Raging Al to school and dynamite on the mic. Bobby Green is the man.

Chris Curtis with a big come from behind KO. I sensed it coming, Hawes looked sharp but you see Curtis was weathering the storm, seemed comfortable doing it too. Great to see a vet. come in and get a win like that.

Chris Barnett! That was fucking brilliant. He may have knocked out the ghost of Gian Villante but that was great TV, from the walkout to the finish, the celebration, the promo. The UFC has a new cult hero.

onto the main card...