UFC Vegas: Santos vs Walker - Oct 2 🇺🇸

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

5 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Nearly forgot this was this weekend. Just a couple of days away. Once again in Vegas and it’s a battle of Brazilian babyfaces.

F7145126-D2-BE-46-B8-B34-F-67-C6603-DB28

ESPN+ MAIN CARD
Thiago Santos vs Johnny Walker

Kevin Holland vs Kyle Daukaus

Niko Price vs Alex Oliveira

Misha Cirkunov vs Krzysztof Jotko

Alexander Hernandez vs Mike Breeden 

ESPN+/FIGHT PASS PRELIMS
Joe Solecki vs Jared Gordon

Antonina Shevchenko vs Casey O’Neill

Karol Rosa vs Bethe Correia

Jamie Mullarkey vs Devonte Smith

Douglas Silva De Andrade vs Gaetano Pirrello

Shanna Young vs Stephanie Egger

Alejandro Perez vs Johnny Eduardo 

A card of two halves. I think the main card looks alright. The top 3 fights will do nicely. The prelims look very skippable for the most part though. Couple of exceptions. 

2312174-B-1245-4-BF7-8-AAE-ED9-E00-AE09-

Thiago Santos vs Johnny Walker headlines. Two fan favourites who go for the kill. Should be good. They’ve definitely both had their ups and downs but they’re consistently entertaining to watch. I don’t recall ever being bored watching either. Two of the more likeable personalities in the Light Heavyweight division as well. Santos has always came across as a good egg and Walker, weird as he is, has a happiness and energy about him that makes him difficult not to like.

18-F3-CF62-C918-4679-B842-03-E48-FE69-FE

Santos could really do with a win right about now. I mean, you never want to lose, obviously. But he’s coming into this one off the back of three consecutive losses now. In fairness, those losses were all at a high level and one was a split decision defeat to Jon Jones where he gave Jones one of his toughest nights. So it’s not like he’s losing to scrubs. But the fact he’s in another main event while 0-3 in his last 3 is a testament to how exciting he is to watch. At some point though, he’s got to get back in that win column. He’s 37 years old now so time is of the essence if he’s planning on making another run at the gold. He does hold a knockout victory over the current champ Jan Blachowicz as well and he’s still dangerous, as Glover Teixeira found out early in their fight last November. But he’s gone winless since returning from double knee surgery last year.

D5F1DCA0-4DD9-4ED9-AF83-15895F535E6A.gif

This mad bastard was the flavour of the month for a little bit. He burst into the UFC back in late 2018 and put away Khalil Rountree, Justin Ledet and Misha Cirkunov in short order. The longest fight of the 3 only went 1:57. The other 2 came inside the first minute. He wasn’t pissing about. The most damage he suffered in his first 3 UFC outings was self inflicted when he dislocated his own shoulder during his post-fight celebration. There was real excitement around him but the party got well and truly pooped when Corey Anderson walloped him on the MSG card in 2019. Prick. He lost another one to Nikita Krylov after that but has since rallied back with a knockout win over Ryan Spann in a wild one rounder. The losses once again brought out the fickle side of MMA fans though. All of a sudden he went from ‘entertaining prospect’ to ‘bum’. All this week I’ve seen tweets along the lines of ‘remember when everyone thought Johnny Walker was gonna beat Jon Jones?’ But it’s pish. I don’t remember many, if anyone, predicting that. It was just refreshing to have some new blood come along at 205, which was badly needed at the time. And also a guy who’d be a fresh challenger for Jones down the line and had a reckless style that would likely make it fun to watch however long it lasted.

Haven’t got a clue how this one goes, to be honest. It’s very much a ‘whoever lands clean first’ kind of matchup for me. Both have fight ending power and they’re not shy about letting the strikes fly. Walker’s got a bit more of an unpredictability about him but Santos is more well rounded overall and could probably dominate this one on the ground if need be. However it plays out it should be lively. Hate to see either lose but if I had to choose I think I’d rather see Santos get the W here. He needs it more at this stage, I think it’s more of a ‘must win’ for him. He deserves better than going 0-4. Plus, I read recently that him and Yana Kunitskaya are expecting a baby so it’d be nice to see him come out on top here and get the winner’s cheque etc. This would’ve been the perfect main event for a Fight Night in Brazil actually. Oh well.

A97-D7-EB1-44-D3-40-A0-BFF4-310-DA6-D9-D

Kevin Holland vs Kyle Daukaus could well steal the show. I think a lot of people have kind of forgotten how good Kevin Holland looked before the hype train hit a brick wall. He was in the conversation for ‘Fighter Of The Year’ in 2020 after fighting 5 times and going 5-0 with 4 knockouts. The cherry on top being his first round finish of Jacare Souza. He was on fire coming into 2021 but it’s all gone to shit. He took on Derek Brunson in March and got completely shut down, schooled and outwrestled over 5 rounds. He then jumped in on short notice a month later and suffered almost the exact same fate against Marvin Vettori. Just 10 rounds of utter frustration for him. He’d lost a few fights earlier in his career through grappling but these two fights in particular, back-to-back, really exposed a major weakness in his game. This is gonna be interesting because Daukaus on paper is a step down from Brunson and Vettori, but he’s still a strong grappler. He’s more of a BJJ guy than a wrestler but he still has that style that’s been Holland kryptonite in the past. My main memory of Daukaus is his corker with Brendan Allen last summer, which is a fight I’d highly recommend if you never saw it. This is another step up to that next level for him. Looking forward to it. Hopefully Holland comes to scrap not just talk crap in there the whole fight. That’s all fun and games when you’re winning, not so much when the losses start accumulating. I think this’ll be a good one though.

E02-C1121-ABB0-4-A26-9-F10-F6-CC41-DF622

Niko Price vs Alex Oliveira is ***WAND’S ONE TO WATCH*** this time. Love this pairing. To be honest, there aren’t many fighters you could match Niko Price with and it result in a dud. He’s got his flaws and he’ll never make a splash in the title mix but who cares? He’s one of those fighters who you’ll see listed on a card and you just know you can count on at least one fight delivering. Reminds me of early Robbie Lawler in a way. Just one speed, one direction and one objective - to take the other guy’s head off. He’s coming off a points loss to Michel Pereira in July, in a stupidly fun fight. He hasn’t won a fight in 2 years but hopefully they keep him around a while longer because he always brings it. Oliveira is a bit of a wildman himself. He’s had some great fights as well over the years. The standout being the one with Yancy Medeiros. He’s been very inconsistent recently but he’s a crafty sod and has notched wins over the likes of Carlos Condit, Tim Means, Will Brooks and KJ Noons over the years. Fully on Team Price here. Ideally he wins this in style and we get him against Lawler or something next.

3-C1-C93-DD-C87-A-4-DCD-A4-DB-6-A7-E8-AE

Misha Cirkunov vs Krzysztof Jotko. Not doing much for me really. Not an awful fight or anything, just not grabbing me. Cirkunov is a bit of a tank. If you need a jar opening, Cirkunov’s your man. You look at him and expect some devastating puncher, and I’m sure it’s no fun to take a smack off him, but his best wins in the UFC have actually come by submission. Ion Cutelaba and Nikita Krylov got choked and he even pulled off a Peruvian necktie on Jim Crute. He’s pretty much found his ceiling at 205 though. Any time he’s stepped up to that next tier, he’s come unstuck. He’s dropping to 185 for this so it’ll be interesting to see how that effects him given his usual bulk. Jotko’s no world beater but he could be a tricky test for Cirkunov making his Middleweight debut. I’ve never found him that enjoyable to watch though so I’m hoping Cirkunov busts out another sub here.

0-FE83453-56-FB-4494-B43-D-6-D9-ACCBBD7-

Alexander Hernandez vs Mike Breeden opens up the main card. I don’t know who this Breeden chap is but I’m rooting for him. Never warmed to Hernandez at all. Seems a right knob. Decent fighter but not elite. He’s one of those guys who will win one fight and let it go to their head and start talking silly. Like a less likeable Kevin Lee. He does have a KO win over Beneil Dariush in 2018 that I have zero memory of though. He was supposed to fight Leonardo Santos here originally but Santos pulled out and here we are. Sherdog has Breeden listed as 10-3 with 8 knockouts. That’s about all I can find on him.

F7002248-9-B90-45-E3-B294-8-DBA9-CA4907-

Joe Solecki vs Jared Gordon. Not that fussed but it might be decent. Solecki could be worth keeping an eye on actually. He’s 28 years old, a BJJ black-belt with a record of 11-2 with 8 finishes. He’s on a 6 fight winning streak and has already beat Jim Miller and Matt Wiman in the UFC. OK, neither of those two are at their best anymore, especially Wiman, but they’re still crafty veterans and Miller is still usually dangerous on the mat. Solecki beat both handily. Gordon is 17-4, coming off a couple of wins and is a BJJ brown-belt under John Danaher. Like I say, not the worst pairing. Could be better than I’ve given it credit for, to be fair, especially if they grapple more.

753-E8685-CE99-4343-A875-50-B0-A506-FAF1

Antonina Shevchenko vs Casey O’Neill is a fight I’m quite into actually. Obviously Shevchenko is nowhere near the level of her little sister Valentina. It almost feels unfair to compare them but it’s natural with siblings in the same sport. And even more when they’re in the same division and have common opponents. She’s no slouch herself in combat sports though. She went 39-1 in Kickboxing and won a bunch of world titles. In MMA she’s gone 9-3 and, while she’s looked good in some fights, she’s been outworked in others, especially on the ground. O’Neill is where the intrigue lies here for me. She turns 24 years old just days after this fight, she’s undefeated so far at 7-0 and she’s won her first two UFC fights inside the distance. She’s looked promising but this should be a tougher test than anyone she’s faced previously. Just on the strength of Shevchenko’s experience alone, how many fights she’s had between Kickboxing and MMA etc. She’d be wise to make this a ground fight.

2701813-A-C76-E-409-D-890-A-6-C74-FF140-

Karol Rosa vs Bethe Correia. Ugh. Nothing happening fight. I could swear Correia retired already but here she is. Apparently she announced last year that her next fight would be her last but then her fights have been getting cancelled ever since so it’s been delayed. Don’t know if this is still her swansong but it probably should be. I don’t wish anyone out of a job but I genuinely don’t get how she’s kept her spot on the roster all this time. She’s been fucking woeful ever since Ronda Rousey bashed her up in 2015. She’s gone a dismal 2-4-1 since and none of it was enjoyable to watch. Not a bit of it. Rosa’s a lot younger at 26 years old, 14-3 and on a 5 fight winning streak. Don’t know about her. Don’t recall actually seeing her fight and she hasn’t beat anyone of note yet. But let’s be honest, if she’s any good at all she really should be beating a 38 year old retiring Correia.

94-AB4912-D6-DC-453-E-8-A66-437-CFBA86-C

Jamie Mullarkey vs Devonte Smith. This could actually be the sleeper on this card for me. I’m not basing it off very much but the little I’ve seen of both I loved. Mullarkey is one of my ‘must watch’ undercarders ever since he had that crazy FOTN war with Brad Riddell in both their UFC debuts. His quick knockout over Khama Worthy in March was cool as well. Doesn’t look like much but he can definitely scrap. Smith was looking like a hot prospect when he debuted coming off DWCS in 2018. In his UFC debut he sparked Julian Erosa in 46 seconds and followed up with another first round stoppage over Dong Hyun Ma after that. A TKO loss to Khama Worthy ballsed things up and he was inactive for about 18 months following that loss so the momentum he had coming off his first couple of UFC wins was all gone when he returned in Feb this year. He did get back to winning ways though at least, putting Justin Jaynes away. Just from my memory of both, I think this could be fireworks.

3-A680-C93-7643-4-FBB-A916-B693-AD686542

Douglas Silva De Andrade vs Gaetano Pirrello. Might be worth a gander. De Andrade is no contender but he’s also no pushover. He’s mixed with some of the best and had his moments. Bit of a Gleison Tibau or Francisco Trinaldo vibe to him. The tough gatekeeper. He’s beat Marlon Vera and a shot Renan Barao along the way but lost to the likes of Petr Yan and Rob Font. He also lost on points in his last fight against Lerone Murphy in January. At 36 years old in a lighter weight class, the writing is on the wall at this point but he’s got the skills to give a lot of guys issues on a good night. Pirrello’s fought once in the UFC, dropping a decision against Ricky Simon. Can’t recall seeing it but he’s 15-6-1 overall. If he can win this fight it puts him in some good company.

3197-AE8-F-3-B63-4-D12-8-CBC-B66-CDCE9-E

Shanna Young vs Stephanie Egger. Yeah. Pure filler for the curtain jerk section of the card. These two are going nowhere. Young AKA ‘The Shanimal’ is 7-3. Previously fought in Invicta, DWCS and KOTC. Made her UFC debut in early 2020, lost a decision to Macy Chiasson and hasn’t been seen since. Stephanie ‘Ham &’ Egger is 5-2 and lost her debut to Tracy Cortez about a year ago. Unless these two are way better than they showed and were just suffering from the old ‘Octagon jitters’ in their respective debuts, this’ll probably be instant skip material.

D95-B91-F4-06-B5-466-D-93-C6-637-D050666

Alejandro Perez vs Johnny Eduardo. Dunno. It’s two names I know have been on the roster for a while but couldn’t really tell you anything about either from memory. Looking them up, Perez is 21-8-1 and coming off a KO loss to Song Yadong. But that was 2019 and he hasn’t fought since. No wonder I don’t remember him. He does have wins over Eddie Wineland, Scott Jorgensen and Iuri Alcantara though. Not too shabby at all that. Eduardo has been out even longer. He was last seen in 2018, getting choked by Nathaniel Wood. He’s 43 now and, like Perez, has some solid wins on his record. He’s also beat Wineland as well as Manny Gamburyan. He’s lost to most of the top talent he’s faced though, and he faced some killers. From Takanori Gomi to Raphael Assuncao right up to Aljamain Sterling. Odd fight this.

It’ll do. 

9E2C4485-C8CC-4441-A4B5-6AD8D72A03DB.gif

Edited by wandshogun09

Great write up Wand, I was worried you had forgot about this card.

This card should be good. Kevin Holland is one of of my current favourites so I am glad to see him fight. I am very happy they have given him a step down in competition too, he really needed to go away and work on his wrestling. He's been training with Johnny Hendricks a lot on it and I think he might have trained a little bit with DC (that was the plan, not sure it happened).

As you said, the main event could go either way, it's hard to predict anything with Johnny Walker and it isn't obvious whether Santos is on the slide or if he has just been up against the elite of the division. A win for either guy would suit me.

Price vs Brazilian Cowboy is awesome too. I'm glad they have given them a spot on the main card and not buried this fight on a PPV prelim.

Good card for a fight night, it's all about Kevin Holland for me.

• Paid Members
On 9/30/2021 at 7:51 AM, Zebra Kid Mark said:

He's been training with Johnny Hendricks a lot on it and I think he might have trained a little bit with DC (that was the plan, not sure it happened).

Dunno if DC thing was ever official, just a bit of a twitter back and forth i think following on from Holland talking to DC at an actual fight.

Be cool to see Johnny Hendricks back at a UFC event though. Hendricks never quite gets his due as a fighter. He fell of a cliff massively late on his career, but for a while Hendricks was a beast.

• Paid Members

Aspen Ladd missed weight by 6lb or so, went away to cut more and came in a lb over. State of this:

Someone needs to save this woman from herself, she's killing herself to make weight.

edit* the fight has been cancelled.

Edited by Egg Shen

Well today I achieved a new first in regards to watching a UFC event, I got through the prelims and main card in just over a hour. 

In terms of absolute dud cards this definitely is up there. 

The main event was extremely boring and uneventful, Which is a shame when you factor in that Santos was main eventing a PPV not too long ago going for the title.
Both guys just didn't get out of first gear and that never makes a exciting fight but what really made me giggle was commentary as it started said don't expect this to go a full 5 rounds, Then it ended up being a total snooze fest.

The co-main was actually really disappointing with what went down. Holland is really fucking likeable man and he was having fun in there, talking to DC and answering his comments from the other side of the cage. Then the ref split them up and it just got really sad and uncomfortable. 
That clash of heads was one of the worst personally I've seen because Holland was OUT, His eyes rolled to the back of his head and he landed on his face but somehow managed to scramble to his back and defend whilst coming back round only to end up getting put back to sleep almost with the rear naked choke. He essentially got put unconscious twice in the space of 2 minutes which is never nice too see no matter what fighter it is that is subject to something like that. 

However I'm interested too genuinely hear people's thoughts on the situation that transpired after. I think it's a difficult one either way HOWEVER the ref allowed the fight to continue as holland was still defending and subsequently Daukaus worked to get the submission win. For it to be eventually made a no contest I think is the worst outcome overall because now both fighters don't get a full wage because of that decision, Daukaus doesn't get a win bonus and holland who like I said above got put too sleep twice in 2 minutes won't be paid accordingly for having to go through that and I think in the end the only side that wins is the UFC. 
They did agree to run it back as soon as they can and I think that's the only reasonable thing to do here but yeah as a whole it started really fun and potentially exciting but ended in a really shitty way which meant the Main & Co-Main ended up being utter flops.

The Oliviera vs Price fight was also not what I expected. I expected this one to be quite intense and interesting but it just wasn't but Price gets the unanimous judges decision.

While the discussion gets brought up quite alot and I understand they always want to stack PPV/Numbered shows to a ridiculous level, I can't see a good reason why they don't take 1 or 2 lower down on the main card fights and put them Co-main/Main event on a fight night card and try and make it slightly more enticing to watch them live. While we have had a handful of impressive Fight night cards over the past 12 months or so for the most part they are regularly 2/3 interesting fights out of the lot and that personally isn't enough to make me want to stay up till 3/4 AM to watch live.

• Moderators

I turned this on at the end of the Holland/Daukaus and didn't really have a clue what was going on. Then the main event...turned it off mid way through round 2 as it seemed like an absolute snooze fest decision. Always funny when UFC commentators hype up two "absolute bangers" and "it won't get out of round 2" and then its a feint-fest decision for 5 rounds.

Dan Miragliotta made the right call, during the fight and afterwards, although you could argue he should have seen the foul live he did the next best thing. Stopping the fight for a replay during a potential fight ending sequence is the worst possible idea, it's why in football the linespeople let play go for potential offside now and let VAR deal with it since there's no way to turn the clock back if the player happened to be onside. If Dan Miragliotta breaks the action for a replay then decides it wasn't an accidental headbutt it's already too late, Holland has been given time to recover and social media will be up in arms. So he let the fight carry on, then checked the replay to see if the fight ending sequence was a direct result of an accidental foul, and having decided Holland was clearly severely compromised as a direct result of the headbutt correctly called it a no-contest.

Edited by Tamura

Yea Dan made the right call but if it wasn't for Herb Dean getting in his ear that finish would have remained as a Daukaus win.

I love Kevin Holland so much but he really needs to go down to Welterweight if he can. He weighed in at 183.5 lbs and I'm guessing he probably was 185lbs or so on the night of the fight. Some one really needs to get in his ear and persuade him to drop down.....unfortunately that person won't be Travis Lutter or Johnny Hendricks as they are both notorious weight missers. Or maybe he just needs to bulk up outside of camp so he won't be undersized by all these middleweights.

The less said about the main event the better. Coach Kavanagh really needs to take a look in the mirror tonight, the advice he gave Walker after every round was mind boggling "you're doing great, keep feinting and touch him to get points."

• Paid Members
14 hours ago, neil said:

Then the main event...turned it off mid way through round 2 as it seemed like an absolute snooze fest decision. Always funny when UFC commentators hype up two "absolute bangers" and "it won't get out of round 2" and then its a feint-fest decision for 5 rounds.

They definitely jinxed it. The thing is, I know there are never any guarantees in MMA but this was a fight you’d really expect fireworks in. Nobody saw a snoozer coming here. But maybe it shouldn’t be a surprise. Santos hasn’t looked right since coming back from knee surgery and it seemed to be a bit of that and a bit of him not wanting to take risks because he was coming in on a 3 fight losing streak. Either way I’ve never seen him as gun-shy as he’s looked against Rakic and now Walker. And couple that with Walker trying to fight like Machida and I guess it was the perfect recipe for a dud. 

9 hours ago, Zebra Kid Mark said:

The less said about the main event the better. Coach Kavanagh really needs to take a look in the mirror tonight, the advice he gave Walker after every round was mind boggling "you're doing great, keep feinting and touch him to get points."

Reminds me of when Clay Guida joined Greg Jackson’s gym years ago and became about 80% less exciting to watch seemingly overnight. I mean, I get that fighting recklessly isn’t the smartest move but it’s not like Jackson ‘taming’ Guida led to him winning more. Same with Walker now. He’d never have got to the title with that wild style he came into the UFC with but that style is his style and I think it at least gives him his best chance to land something wacky. Seems like Kavanagh’s trying to turn him into Wonderboy and it just doesn’t fit him. Frustrating to watch and I think a lot of it is just the timing of it. If this fight happened in 2018/19, before Santos’ injuries and when Walker was on his little streak, I think it’d have looked completely different.

The Holland vs Daukaus ending was really unfortunate. For both men and for us because this was looking like the one fight that was probably gonna deliver. Definitely thought a NC was the right call. The clash of heads was clearly a major factor in how the fight went after so it’d be harsh to let the win for Daukaus stand. At the same time, it wasn’t Daukaus’ fault either. It was just one of those things that happens sometimes, both went in head first and Holland just got the worst of it. It happens. A rematch is a no brainer. The PPVs for the rest of the year are rammed full so I reckon they’ll chuck it on one of the upcoming Fight Nights as soon as both can go again. Knowing what Holland’s like he’ll probably want on next week’s card. 

Price vs Oliveira wasn’t the barnburner it sounded like on paper. Not a terrible fight or anything and it did heat up a bit towards the end, but wasn’t quite what I hoped it’d be. Still, at least Niko won. I’d love to see him against Robbie Lawler next but I’m not sure it’s realistic. Name wise, Lawler might see it as a step down after beating Nick Diaz but it’s a fight I’d love to see. Failing that, maybe the winner of Matt Brown vs Bryan Barberena or something. 

20 hours ago, Kfogg1991 said:

While the discussion gets brought up quite alot and I understand they always want to stack PPV/Numbered shows to a ridiculous level, I can't see a good reason why they don't take 1 or 2 lower down on the main card fights and put them Co-main/Main event on a fight night card and try and make it slightly more enticing to watch them live. While we have had a handful of impressive Fight night cards over the past 12 months or so for the most part they are regularly 2/3 interesting fights out of the lot and that personally isn't enough to make me want to stay up till 3/4 AM to watch live.

In fairness though, while this wasn’t a STACKED card, Santos vs Walker, Holland vs Daukaus and Price vs Oliveira sounded pretty strong for a top 3 on a Fight Night going in. Nobody would’ve expected those 3 fights to play out the way they did, including the UFC matchmakers. You could load up any card with fights that sound amazing on paper and there’s always a chance they shit the bed. That’s just sport. No guarantees. So while it’s easy to say now in hindsight that this was a dud and they need to make the Fight Nights stronger, looking at the card before Saturday night, it looked decent. And we’ve had much worse. For as lacklustre as this turned out to be, at least it wasn’t headlined by fucking Jessica Eye vs Cynthia Calvillo! 

Moving on, there were a couple of bright spots. 

Alex Hernandez with the old Belfort swarm in the main card opener was fun.

264A24E1-B4F8-478E-BA8E-079E50B01097.gif

Like I said in the opening post, Hernandez has always had a bit of that Kevin Lee thing where he’ll look great one fight but then let’s it go to his head and starts talking goofy and disappears up his own arse. Never warmed to Hernandez and he’s come off as a dickhead a few times but fair’s fair, he seemed alright here. Maybe he’s finally starting to mature a bit. He’s had a few setbacks now so maybe he’s learned the lesson and making the effort to stay grounded now. We’ll see in time I guess.

There were a couple of nice finishes on the prelims as well. Pick of the bunch being Douglas Silva De Andrade with this bastard…

50A30AB9-FC35-4392-9F16-D7EFB283DF1B.gif

Christ.

Thought Casey O’Neill looked good beating the mediocre Shevchenko sister. Came beck from a dodgy start to really put a beating on her. Not sure how far she can go but so far, so good. Although I fear they’ll be feeding her to Valentina before too long just because she’s rapidly running out of fresh blood to feast on. If O’Neill can keep winning it’d actually be a nice little storyline down the road, she bashed up Antonina practically in Val’s lap here. She’s literally just turned 23 though and she’s only had 8 fights. She doesn’t need that in her life. She’s been fun to watch so far though, 3 UFC wins, 3 UFC finishes. Can’t get used to that Scottish/Aussie hybrid accent though.

I guess if anything says what a nothing show this was though, them making a bit of a fuss over the retirement of Bethe Sodding Correia sums it up better than anything. Much better and more relevant and popular fighters than Correia have bowed out without getting their little ‘leave the gloves on the canvas’ moment. Nothing against the woman personally but as a fighter she was dire, ended up going 5-6-1 overall in the UFC and I don’t think any of them were good fights. The commentators saying she said her career highlight was her split decision win over Julie Kedzie in her UFC debut says it all. A split decision win was her career highlight. And I actually vaguely remember that fight and I recall thinking Kedzie won. This made me laugh;

B5-E1-F2-EF-1-EBF-4165-881-B-C8-B8366-D1

Yeah, that tweet answers its own question, doesn’t it? It sounds harsh but I think her retiring is gonna rank as everyone’s favourite Bethe Correia moment, followed by her being crushed by the killer boxing of Ronda Rousey of course. 

Seriously, hopefully she’s happy whatever she’s doing going forward but DC standing there with a straight face and calling her a “legend and pioneer” was hilarious. Then she forgot to leave her gloves in the Octagon 🤣 

3C0B91BA-A219-41E8-8252-7ADA8A994C56.gif

MMA will never be the same again. 

Great summary Wand, but you nearly ruined it by reminding me of the fact that Eye vs Cynthia was a fight night main event.

Lawler vs Price would be a great next fight for both guys. Lawler must know that his time fighting top 10 guys is no more. He was only given the Diaz fight due to the history and the fact they are a similar age. 

• Paid Members

Yeah, to be honest I’d be quite happy with Lawler just scrapping it out with the Prices, Pereiras, Perrys (and other midcard brawlers that don’t necessarily have to have a surname beginning with P) for however long is left of his career. A rematch with Matt Brown wouldn’t offend me either. 

16 minutes ago, Zebra Kid Mark said:

Great summary Wand, but you nearly ruined it by reminding me of the fact that Eye vs Cynthia was a fight night main event. 

Sorry but I’m still having nightmares about that one myself and I don’t wanna suffer alone. 

Edited by wandshogun09