UFC 267: Blachowicz vs Teixeira - Oct 30 πŸ‡¦πŸ‡ͺπŸπŸŽƒ

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

11 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

No complaints from me. Diaz and Ferguson is just a fun fight with 2 guys roughly at the same level. When asked about it recently though Dana played it down and didn't seem keen. The Luque/Nate rumours have seemingly stopped now too.Β 

With Khamzat calling out Diaz post fight and Dana seemingly on board with it, I feel like they're gonna push hard for it to happen. Sure anything can happen in a fight, but Diaz has shown on the past he is susceptible to strong wrestlers at 170lbs.Β 

Β 

Edited by Silky Kisser

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, David said:

I think a bout with T-Ferg, even at 170lbs, is the fight for Diaz. If his management team are smart they'll start putting out the feelers for that one.Β 

It's also worth noting that a Diaz vs Khamzat fight is a risk for the UFC. What if Diaz wins? We're all assuming it's 100% the guy gets smoked, but what if we see the fight go a round or so then we see Khamzat start to wilt under that mental boxing the Diaz brothers use? It's unlikely but possible.

Why risk a potential future contender in that way?

But surely that's the case every time they make a match? Every step up in competition is a risk of a potential future contender, and surely Diaz is no more a risk than Lawler or Magny? Possibly he's even less so, because his WW record isn't good (probably because his optimal is LW).

Whom would you consider as a more risk-averse matchup for Chimaev if you were booker? Genuine question. The only ones that come to mind thatΒ mightΒ be better are Barberena, Matt Brown or Thiago Alves, and the first two feel like a step back. There are probably more, but it just strikes me that, if you were looking for someone to feed to Chimaev, you'd be hard-pressed to find a better one than Diaz, not just because of his skill level, but also because, being a Diaz, he's pretty much determinedly obsolete as a fighter, and there's a fairly good chance he's completely unmotivated and looking at the next thing on the horizon.

1 hour ago, Carbomb said:

But surely that's the case every time they make a match? Every step up in competition is a risk of a potential future contender, and surely Diaz is no more a risk than Lawler or Magny? Possibly he's even less so, because his WW record isn't good (probably because his optimal is LW).

I mean risking a future contender with someone who could theoretically walk away after that very fight.

1 hour ago, Carbomb said:

Whom would you consider as a more risk-averse matchup for Chimaev if you were booker? Genuine question. The only ones that come to mind thatΒ mightΒ be better are Barberena, Matt Brown or Thiago Alves, and the first two feel like a step back. There are probably more, but it just strikes me that, if you were looking for someone to feed to Chimaev, you'd be hard-pressed to find a better one than Diaz, not just because of his skill level, but also because, being a Diaz, he's pretty much determinedly obsolete as a fighter, and there's a fairly good chance he's completely unmotivated and looking at the next thing on the horizon.

Again, it's not about someone who's risk averse to Chimaev, it's about someone who isn't set to walk after his next fight. I already said that he needs to be matched with a top seven, if not top five welterweight now. The difference is, if he's matched with, say, Vicente Luque, who's ranked fourth, and loses, the UFC stand to benefit from that even if it is to a lesser degree.

A win for Luque puts him firmly in the mix for a title shot, as that would be his fifth win in succession.Β 

A loss, however unlikely, to Diaz does nothing for the UFC. It only makes Diaz more difficult and costly to re-sign, or it means he walks into another organisation with a win over a hot UFC prspect.Β 

• Paid Members

OK, yeh - that makes sense. Thanks for clarifying.

EDIT: On further reflection, that would make a bout with Chimaev potentially a high-risk, high-payout gamble for Diaz. He might decide to take it purely on the chance that he could win big if he does beat the hot prospect - could give him a bit of leverage on Plastic Caesar.

Edited by Carbomb

• Paid Members

It feels to me that Nate wants out of the UFC regardless and has this 1 fight left on his contract. UFC know this and in classic style, they want him to look as weak as possible on the way out to hamper his bargaining position going forward elsewhere. We can say there's a chance Nate could beat Chimaev, but he's been utterly schooled by bigger grapplers in the past, and you'd have to think Chimaev would do that same to him based on what we've seen so far.Β 

This popped up a few moments ago too:

Β 

Screenshot_20211102-151754_Twitter.jpg.219aac6131997329d95409814176528f.jpg

They ain't gonna be doing Nate any favours.

Edited by Silky Kisser

• Paid Members

Yeah it’s clearly the fight Dana wants. Whether we think it should happen or whatever, Dana’s obviously got it in his head that Nate’s fucked against Chimaev. And he’s probably right. Like Silky says, style-wise it’s a bloody awful matchup for Nate on paper. There’s always that chance Chimaev fades if it goes longer but I think the most likely scenario is that Nate gets chucked about like my Macho Man wrestling buddy used to. Whether Nate takes the fight is another matter but if he does, I think it’s a nightmare matchup for him. To get his boxing going he’ll have to have an answer for Khamzat’s takedowns and I’m struggling to see it based on what I’ve seen of him over the last 15 years or so.Β 

Edited by wandshogun09

What's even sadder is that a win for Chimaev over Diaz will be seen as reason for a title shot. I get that Usman has pretty much cleaned out the division at the top, although Leon Edwards being passed over yet again despite being unbeaten since 2015 and having won nine of his last ten with one N/C is fucking scandalous.

I reiterate, we need to see Chimaev face someone at least in the top seven. Magny, Chiesa, Wonderboy, Luque, Burns, or even Edwards.Β 

• Paid Members

In a perfect world for me we'd get a fun fight with Nate and Tony and I'd do Burns v Chimaev just to see if anyone with an impressive ground game and subs can do anything against that type on onslaught.Β 

Β 

Edited by Silky Kisser

• Paid Members

I'm with you guys on wanting to see Chimaev in with a more competitive opponent than what Diaz would look to be on paper. If he is going to be getting a title shot from one more win, then I think it's only right that we get to see him against at least one of the current top contenders first.Β 

I expected Chimaev to have a much tougher time getting past Jingliang than he did. He pissed through him. I thought he would win, but that he'd have to work for it and I wouldn't have put any money on him at the short price he was at. Chimaev is clearly the real deal. Despite that though, there are still levels to the game, and while he'll be jumping some, I don't think he should completely sidestep the whole top ten before fighting Usman. That probably wouldn't even be the best thing for Chimaev.Β 

Plus, haven't only two of his four fights in the UFC been at Welterweight?

Despite all that, I expect it's Khamzat Vs Diaz pretty sharpish and Diaz is off to box some sort of Paul.Β 

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, Carbomb said:

Β 

Whom would you consider as a more risk-averse matchup for Chimaev if you were booker? Genuine question. The only ones that come to mind thatΒ mightΒ be better are Barberena, Matt Brown or Thiago Alves and the first two feel like a step back.Β 

wait, what?

Barbarena has lost 3 of 4 and probably isnt in the top 25.

Brown would have been a decent shout as Chimaev's comeback opponent if he hadnt fought The Leech. Chimaev is way past that now.

Alves isnt even in the UFC.

Weird booking.

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members
37 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

wait, what?

Barbarena has lost 3 of 4 and probably isnt in the top 25.

Brown would have been a decent shout as Chimaev's comeback opponent if he hadnt fought The Leech. Chimaev is way past that now.

Alves isnt even in the UFC.

Weird booking.

The first two, I did say would be a step back.

I'm trying to think whom I meant - I've confused Alves with someone else.

EDIT: Warlley Alves! That's whom I meant. He's further down the rankings than I thought, though.

How about Belal Muhammad?

Edited by Carbomb

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, David said:

What's even sadder is that a win for Chimaev over Diaz will be seen as reason for a title shot. I get that Usman has pretty much cleaned out the division at the top, although Leon Edwards being passed over yet again despite being unbeaten since 2015 and having won nine of his last ten with one N/C is fucking scandalous.

I reiterate, we need to see Chimaev face someone at least in the top seven. Magny, Chiesa, Wonderboy, Luque, Burns, or even Edwards.Β 

Oh if Chimaev’s next fight is gonna be to get him a title shot then yeah, he should be fighting one of those names. I was thinking he’s still a couple of wins away, in which case fighting a Diaz or Lawler next would be fine. If Edwards beats Masvidal next month (that’s next month already!) then he should definitely be getting the title shot. But yeah, sadly it wouldn’t surprise me at all if he gets passed over. And if Edwards loses to Masvidal, you know for a fact they’re gonna spin a Chimaev title shot.

Ideally, if I had my way I’d like to see;

Chimaev vs Magny

Diaz vs FergusonΒ 

Edwards beats MasvidalΒ 

Usman/Covington winner vs EdwardsΒ 

Then if Chimaev beats Magny have him fight someone like Burns or Luque and see where he sits in the division after that

Again, I know he’s looked dominant so far but I don’t wanna see him rushed into the title picture just yet. One because it’s not deserved and two, he mightn’t be ready anyway. It feels too early. Meerschaert and Jingliang are good wins on the climb, and the way he beat them was mega impressive, but they’re not wins that should catapult you straight into a number one contender fight. If he’s what he’s being cracked up to be then he’ll get there before long anyway.

Personally I’d prefer that Diaz vs Ferguson fight as Nate’s last fight if he’s leaving. Just because it’s a fun fight that’d probably be competitive and they’re both kind of at the same stage in their careers. There was a bit of talk about it recently and Nate even randomly tweeted a picture of Ferguson the other week, so it’s a fight they were at least thinking about. But I’m not sure it happens. Dana’s got a hard on for this Chimaev fight plus I’m not even sure what weight it’d be at. Nate hasn’t cut to 155 in a while and I’m not sure he wants to anymore. So would Ferguson take the fight at 170? A catchweight of 160-65 would be ideal but I’ve got a feeling Dana wouldn’t wanna do a catchweight fight if Nate is leaving after.Β 

• Paid Members

Diaz/Ferguson is the fight to make.Β 

I get the whole Diaz/Chimaev situation though. This Chimaev thing is just different, i dont really feel like theres been anything else like it? you've had amazing starts to UFC careers beforr, but Chimaev's run just has a different vibe to it, and as a fan who follows week to week its just exciting as shit. I want the crazy train to keep rolling.

However, I think if Edwards beats Masvidal we'll see him fight Usman next. Timeline wise that's gonna matchup. If Masvidal wins that blows everything up, i think opens the door for a potential Masvidal/Khamzat fight which no one seems to be talking about the potential of.

Having said that, if Covington beats Usman, we'll no doubt see a trilogy fight next, and that changes everything.

There's options πŸ˜„

I wouldnt mind Diaz fighting Chimaev and then bouncing.

His fights are entertaining more often than not but its a bit tiresome when his name is inserted into every conversation at Welterweight. I know its star driven but he has two wins at 170 in ten years! Both against guys who have fought at 145.

I'm way more entertained by the sport when watching guys on the up / peaking like Usman, Yan, Makachev, Gane etc. than headlines being dominated by potential Diaz and McGregor fights.