UFC 267: Blachowicz vs Teixeira - Oct 30 🇦🇪🏝🎃

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

11 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Can we now expect Glover to go on a Flair-like run where he takes bouts and each one is potentially the retirement bout? He either retains the title, or places the gloves in the centre of the cage.

Awesome stuff. I'm a fan of Jan and hope he comes back stronger than ever, but seeing Glover win the strap is a history-making moment.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, David said:

Can we now expect Glover to go on a Flair-like run where he takes bouts and each one is potentially the retirement bout? He either retains the title, or places the gloves in the centre of the cage.

Just as long as we don't get Jiri Prochazka mouthing "I'm sorry, I love you" before nailing him with a head kick

1 hour ago, Carbomb said:

Just as long as we don't get Jiri Prochazka mouthing "I'm sorry, I love you" before nailing him with a head kick

Surely that's the role Jon Jones will play when he finally trudges back to Uncle Dana with his tail between his legs?

• Paid Members

Just an unbelievable performance from Khamzat. I had slight reservations leading in, but that disappeared as soon as i seen him prowling the cage before the opening bell. That moment when he picked up The Leech and started screaming at Dana will go down as one of my favorite MMA moments. Just a scary, dominating performance against a guy who gives everyone a tough night.

• Paid Members

Worth remembering as well that Jingliang was coming off a first round knockout win over Santiago Ponzinibbio, probably the best win of his career to date. He was coming in confident and you could tell from watching their interactions and face-offs last week that he was really fancying the job. Khamzat pissed through that guy. After a year plus on the sidelines, much of it battling COVID. I don’t like the guy but it was a scarily good performance. Especially for a comeback.

I touched on it in an earlier post but I definitely think the plan is to have Khamzat squash Nate Diaz now, before sending him into free agency. Dana was asked about the matchup at the post-fight press conference and he wouldn’t commit to it but he kept grinning and giggling in a way which pretty much confirmed that’s the fight they’re gonna try and make, without actually saying it. 

• Paid Members

it feels wrong now that i actually wanted Nick Diaz' comeback to be against Chimaev. The version of Diaz who fought Lawler would have got crushed. Having now realised that, i dont think i wanna see a Nate Diaz/Khamzat fight, thats just a pure squash. Given Nates shocking record at 170lb its just bad fight for him.

Khamzat could also be one top 5 win away from a shot at Usman. Id rather see him have 2-3 more but the division is thin and Usman needs challengers. Would a Diaz win earn him the shot at Usman? given the fame aspect of a win like that, maybe?

• Paid Members

A Chimaev/Lawler fight could be worth a punt. Lawler's not shot yet, and he's one of those guys whose mental focus and endurance makes him more than the sum of his parts. He's still enough of a threat to be a gatekeeper for now.

• Paid Members

nah, Lawler seems too much of a backwards step. Nowhere near the top 15 and doesnt carry the name value or notoriety of a Nate Diaz. Maybe a Lawler fight would have made sense for Chimaev's comeback fight, but not now.

• Paid Members

If for some reason the Nate Diaz fight doesn’t happen, I think Lawler would be fine next. I get people are excited about Chimaev but he’s just got back and he’s beat Meerschaert and Jingliang in his last two. Good fighters but Lawler would still be the first big name for Khamzat, former champ, future HOFer etc. Not that I wanna see Lawler get thrown about by Chimaev but I could see it happening. If not that then maybe someone like Neil Magny. Khamzat wasn’t in the Top 10 himself before this weekend. Not sure where he sits now but there’s no need to rush him in with one of the top couple of guys just yet. One or two more big wins over names like Diaz or Lawler or whoever would push him into that mix next year. 

7 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

i dont think i wanna see a Nate Diaz/Khamzat fight, thats just a pure squash. Given Nates shocking record at 170lb its just bad fight for him.

And that’s exactly why Dana loves the idea. Last fight on Nate’s contract and if you saw the glee on Dana’s big pink face at the press conference when he was asked about them potentially fighting, it’s obvious that’s the plan. They must feel like Nate is gonna leave and test free agency, box Jake Paul or something, so they’re getting him wrecked on the way out and giving Khamzat ‘the rub’. It’s basically the 2021 version of when they fed Roger Huerta to Gray Maynard when he wanted to leave and go Hollywood. Except this’ll be more of a squash. 

11 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

it feels wrong now that i actually wanted Nick Diaz' comeback to be against Chimaev. The version of Diaz who fought Lawler would have got crushed. Having now realised that, i dont think i wanna see a Nate Diaz/Khamzat fight, thats just a pure squash. Given Nates shocking record at 170lb its just bad fight for him.

Khamzat could also be one top 5 win away from a shot at Usman. Id rather see him have 2-3 more but the division is thin and Usman needs challengers. Would a Diaz win earn him the shot at Usman? given the fame aspect of a win like that, maybe?

We're all assuming that Nate just accepts that fight if the UFC offer it, which isn't guaranteed. If Nate has decent advisors they'll tell him to keep his powder dry for an offer of a fight with more upside. 

For me, it's time for Khamzat to face someone in the top 7 at least, top 5 if possible. As you say, an Usman win this weekend leaves us with few fresh challengers, although a win for Covington changes that obviously.

I also think it's time we realised that a win over Nate Diaz, especially at 170lbs, means fuck all. The fans have seen him soundly beaten the last two fights, and he's on a 2-3 record in his last 5.

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, David said:

We're all assuming that Nate just accepts that fight if the UFC offer it, which isn't guaranteed. If Nate has decent advisors they'll tell him to keep his powder dry for an offer of a fight with more upside. 

People ITK seem to believe the issue is that if he turns down a fight that's been offered, the UFC gets to add on additional time to his contract. So they can keep drawing it out and blocking a move to whatever he wants to do next. I can't see them giving him anything favourable to end his UFC run on... They're gonna want to get as much of a rub off him as possible. He's gonna have to bite the bullet at some point. 

Edited by Silky Kisser

2 hours ago, Silky Kisser said:

People ITK seem to believe the issue is that if he turns down a fight that's been offered, the UFC gets to add on additional time to his contract. So they can keep drawing it out and blocking a move to whatever he wants to do next. I can't see them giving him anything favourable to end his UFC run on... They're gonna want to get as much of a rub off him as possible. He's gonna have to bite the bullet at some point. 

I think a bout with T-Ferg, even at 170lbs, is the fight for Diaz. If his management team are smart they'll start putting out the feelers for that one. 

It's also worth noting that a Diaz vs Khamzat fight is a risk for the UFC. What if Diaz wins? We're all assuming it's 100% the guy gets smoked, but what if we see the fight go a round or so then we see Khamzat start to wilt under that mental boxing the Diaz brothers use? It's unlikely but possible.

Why risk a potential future contender in that way?