UFC 267: Blachowicz vs Teixeira - Oct 30 šŸ‡¦šŸ‡ŖšŸšŸŽƒ

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

11 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 hours ago, RancidPunx said:

Is it wrong of me to be greatly entertained by this Hasbulla business. Ā 

Ā 

I don't see much wrong tbh. He is having fun and getting to meet his heroes. His condition is something that would make many want to just hide away and never leave their house. So to see him travelling about having fun seems nice and inspiring. I don't think the MMA guys are taking the piss out of him or anything either.

Ā 

Now if he starts having actual fights on Russian MMA events, I'm going to 180 on that opinion pretty quick. Thats veering into just exploiting him and I'm sure the health risks are massive.

• Paid Members

The TV prelims were really good, and anyone that hasn't seen them should give them a bash. However, if you only have time for one, you have to make it EZ Dos Santos Vs Saint Denis. Such a degree of refereeing incompetence has to be seen to be believed.Ā 

Unfortunately I watched the main card in the pub (we were supposed to be out last night long before I twigged on this was an evening time card). Pubs aren't good places to watch anything, even if you get to see what you want to see.

So after the first round of the main event the TV flickers and goes off, comes back on and the clock is at 2 minutes and change remaining of the round. So I think, great, I have three minutes to go for a piss before round 2. Next thing I know I wander back and Glover has just choked Jan out and I have no idea what's happened. Fucking Pub satellite nonsense messing about. Delighted for Glover, but I'd be lying if I had much of an idea how it went. Going to rewatch it here now.Ā 

• Paid Members

Really good show overall, I thought. Plenty going on and a bunch of talking points coming out of it. And what a feelgood ending.

5-E2847-C1-23-CF-4062-AEBF-9-DFC08-A3237

Glover Teixeira becoming UFC champion at 42 years old has to rank among my favourite MMA moments ever. Itā€™s been a pretty good year for these babyface title wins that you never really expected to see. First Charles Oliveira at Lightweight, then Brandon Moreno at Flyweight, and now this even tops them. What a lovely moment. Granted, itā€™s the post-Jon Jones era of 205 and this wouldnā€™t have happened if he was still active, but whatever. The division has been wide open since Jones stepped away and started to bulk up for Heavyweight. And Blachowicz has proven to be a right handful himself, was on a strong winning streak etc. I was hoping for a Glover win here but expected Jan to catch him at some point. Probably early because Glover often takes a bit of time to warm up and usually eats some digs early on. But he got off to a good start here and never really let Jan get out of the blocks.Ā 

6-BF2-D6-FD-43-F9-4-A29-8-A00-B272362601

He mustā€™ve had some serious torque on that because Jan tapped quick, didnā€™t he? Loved Gloverā€™s use of the can opener neck crank in the first round as well, proper old school, and maybe that had already softened Jan up for that choke to take more of an immediate effect as a choke and a crank at the same time. Chuffed to see him win. There was a lot of talk that it was his last opportunity at the gold and had he lost I think he mightā€™ve just retired in the cage. Now as defending champion heā€™ll almost certainly be getting that PPV cut so Iā€™d love to see him successfully defend the belt a few times now and get a few bigger paydays before finally riding off into the sunset. But Iā€™m not sure he comes through that Prochazka fight with the strap.Ā 

Felt bad for Blachowicz. Heā€™s really grown on me over the last couple of years and seems a top bloke but he handled himself with class post-fight. Heā€™s 38 now but Iā€™m sure heā€™ll be around a few more years yet. Glover vs Jiri is gonna be fun but, again, another one where I donā€™t wanna see either lose.

Yan vs Sandhagen was a cracking fight. Yanā€™s a bit of a bellend and I was hoping for a Sandhagen win but credit where itā€™s due, this was some display from Yan. A proper championship performance. Sandhagen looked well up for this and was so fast and sharp early on that I thought Yan was going to struggle but, like with the Sterling fight, he weathered the early frantic pace and once he got his rhythm going and his timing down he was like a runaway train and pretty much every round he seemed to get stronger while Sandhagen started becoming less effective. This was sweet as wellā€¦

image.gif.53e88064a17156d8d839f8db80d8bc37.gif

Almost hypnotic. A double spinning backfist! When the decision was read out I felt like the 49-46s might be a bit wide but thinking about it, as good and competitive as it was, I canā€™t think of any more than a round Iā€™d have given the Sandman either. Probably gave him the first but Yan just took over after that. Maybe thereā€™s another round in there you could argue for Cory but I felt like Yan just got the better of it from the second round onwards and the momentum built each round. Heā€™s a twat but what a little fighter. That Sterling rematch is gonna be next and I canā€™t wait. The delays have only really added to the story in a weird way and itā€™s a hell of a matchup anyway beyond all the drama and beef between them. Iā€™d still favour Yan in that one, sadly, but if anyone at 135 can give him real issues I think itā€™s Aljo with the right game plan. Letā€™s hope the rematch actually makes it to the cage next time.Ā 

Islam Makhachev! Fucking hell. Talk about a fighter making a statement. This shouldā€™ve been his toughest test yet and he just bulldozed straight through Dan Hooker like he was nothing. Islamā€™s always been really good but heā€™s noticeably stepped it up a couple of gears since Khabib retired. He knows itā€™s all there for the taking now and after a performance like this, and his last few as well to be honest, he might just be the uncrowned champion in waiting.

D5-C0-ABF2-B833-4-D01-8235-7148-B7-BC17-

Just terrifying. At first I thought ā€˜why isnā€™t Hooker tapping? Itā€™s gonna break any minuteā€™. I was having flashbacks to Mir vs Nog 2 and thatā€™s never a good thing. But then when the ref stopped it and Islam let go you could see Hookerā€™s other arm was kind of wedged under him. He couldnā€™t tap. Donā€™t know if he verbally tapped or the ref just stepped in but either way it was a wrap at that point. There was no getting out of that shit. The commentators were comparing this to Khabibā€™s win over Michael Johnson at MSG and it did have that feel to it. Right down to the post-fight promo - ā€œNow I have to talkā€. This felt like his true breakthrough win that should see him finally get into that title mix now. How can it not? If Michael Chandler gets a title shot off one win over Hooker, how can you deny Makhachev who beat Hooker even faster and is on a 9 fight winning streak? What next? Fights with Beneil Dariush or the winner of Gaethje vs Chandler would be awesome but, honestly, I wouldnā€™t be at all against them just throwing him into a title shot now. With the run heā€™s on, and especially his 3 wins this year, I think heā€™s earned it. Iā€™d love to see him against the winner of Oliveira vs Poirier next year.Ā 

Volkov vs Tybura did nothing for me. The one dull spot on an otherwise quality main card. The crowd probably needed a comedown though at that point because it followedā€¦

image.gif.3d6b074328dceb0cabecc41247e87efc.gif

Khamzat Bastard Chimaev! Like Petr Yan, seems a right knob and I didnā€™t understand much of it but it sounded like he went a bit Sean Strickland in his post-fight interview talking about killing people but fuck me, what a return this was. That gif above as well. It was crazy enough when Max Holloway was declaring himself ā€œthe best boxer in the UFCā€ while slipping all Kattarā€™s punches, but this was right up there with it. Carrying Jingliang like a dad taking an unruly toddler up to bed, and talking shit to Dana the whole time. If you ever find yourself a woman (or man) that looks at you the way Dana was looking at Chimaev during all thisā€¦

5-EEBAE35-6-B61-42-AC-A3-FC-8-E8-E5332-A

Thatā€™s love right there.

Jingliangā€™s no joke either. You shouldnā€™t be beating him in this fashion. Obviously the grey cloud hanging over this will be the controversial weigh in though, Chimaev using the towel etc, but this was a scary performance regardless. Saw a stat that said Khamzatā€™s now outlanded his UFC opponents 112-1 in significant strikes and 254-2 in total strikes overall. Insane. You get people saying itā€™s all hype but if theyā€™re still saying it now itā€™s complete and utter bollocks. To knock out Gerald Meerschaert in 17 seconds then be out well over a year, have that battle with COVID, and come back and just ragdoll Li Jingliang like thisā€¦youā€™re more than legit. Doesnā€™t mean he can do this to the Usmans and Covingtons and Burns and Edwards of the world but heā€™s wrecking these tough mid level guys with ease at the moment so itā€™s probably not gonna be long until we see him mixing with that lot.

I saw something the other day that Nate Diazā€™s next fight will be the last on his contract. I think weā€™ll know if the negotiations are going well or not depending on who they book him against for that fight. If they try to make Nate vs Khamzat then you can probably assume Nateā€™s leaving and theyā€™re jobbing him out on the way out the door. Time honoured tradition and all that.Ā 

Magomed Ankalaev again looked the business in the main card opener. Itā€™ll get lost in the talk of Chimaev and Makhachev and Gloverā€™s title win and so on but I really think Ankalaev is gonna be a real issue in the 205 title picture before too long. This didnā€™t have the big finish of the Cutelaba fight but you can see heā€™s gonna be a hard man to beat. I can see him challenging for the belt in 2022. Oezdemir needs to give up the battle with the hair though. Whatā€™s he playing at? That threadbare little birds nest on top of his head needs shaving off again. Looks cack and heā€™s gone winless since trying to deny his slapheadedness. Give it up Volkan.

Prelims were mostly good fun. Ribas vs Jandiroba was decent but bittersweet for me. I was happy to see Ribas back to winning ways but sad that it came at the expense of Jandiroba who Iā€™ve really become a fan of this year. Quite liked this fight though. Was hoping theyā€™d grapple more because I think there was a mat based barnburner to be had with these two in that kind of fight. But as is often the case when two grapplers meet, they stood a fair amount and it wasnā€™t ever gonna be as good a standup battle as it wouldā€™ve been on the ground. When they did grapple thoughā€¦

2-D85-D635-0-BD9-48-F2-A679-9-C85-FBE37-

Interesting. And a bit sexy.Ā 

But yeah, Ribas back in the win column. Nothing obvious is jumping out as a next fight for either off the top of my head though. Theyā€™ve both already fought Mackenzie Dern. Maybe Michelle Waterson for one of them?Ā 

Like @WeeAlĀ touched on above, the Elizeu Zaleski Dos Santos vs Benoit St Denis fight was rough to watch. St Denis is absolutely tough as nails and was trying even when it was clear he was out on his feet but that ref just let it go on and on. Probably the most uncomfortable beating Iā€™ve seen in MMA since Thomas Gifford got pretty much tortured by Mike Davis a couple of years ago. Iā€™d never heard of the ref before but it says it all that he got pulled from the remaining fights he was scheduled to officiate later on the card. St Denisā€™ corner have just as much to answer for as well though. I thought theyā€™d surely be pulling him out after that hammering he took in the second round, but no, out you go for round 3.Ā 

And speaking of rough to watch. That Lerone Murphy knockoutā€¦

image.gif.577b41c1f7a23daa9049eb5a23f44ce2.gif

I was happy to see Murphy get the win. Heā€™s probably one of the better, least talked about British fighters in the game but itā€™s all felt very stop/start with him. I think heā€™s had a fair few injuries so itā€™s staggered his momentum a lot. This was the kind of win he needed. Unbeaten at 11-0-1 now. This was a bad knockout though. Didnā€™t look anything particularly out of the ordinary in real time but Amirkhani was down for ages. It was a relief when he started moving. Hopefully heā€™s alright.Ā 

Really good card on the whole. There wasnā€™t really that one killer FOTY type fight that wouldā€™ve tipped it into Show Of The Year territory but it had some great performances, moments and finishes. And thisā€¦

486C8E49-FEBD-4D3B-ACDD-C5D3F61771DF.gif

Edited by wandshogun09

You make a really good and valid point on the subject of St Denis corner having alot to answer for after what took place, I just rewatched the second and third round with my fiance and I spotted it last night but when he gets back to his corner and sits on the stool, his coaches are talking to him and his eyes are horrifically glazed over, you can tell he's trying to listen but he is not at all in the room. It's really really scary to be honest.

Also I watched the post fight interview with Dos santos and he said from the judges scorecards they didn't deduct the point the referee bizarrely tried to take away. When the fucking judges aren't listening to the ref's decisions you know there have been some major fuck up'sĀ