Paul vs Woodley - Aug 29/The rematch - Dec 18 ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ ๐ŸฅŠ

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

4 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

I think the talk of Woodleys cardio issues always stemmed him being so conservative of his energy in the cage, he was just never a high volume/output guy. That may have been down to him worrying that his tank was gonna empty, but i dont ever recall it happening.

I mean if Woodley wanted, you have to think he has the ability to defend himself early no matter what Jake Paul does, and if Paul does come out nervous he may go hell for leather and gas himself out in the process. Come round 2 he could be a sitting duck ๐Ÿฆ†

ย 

Spoiler below...

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

What do we think of that outcome then? Are the Paul's the real deal and deserving of more credit or is it a case of 'fight a load of has-beens and never-weres to try and artificially say boxing is easy?

• Paid Members

That fight reminded me that I haven't really missed Woodley in the UFC. Such a hesitant fighter; it felt like he could've ended that at any point in the second half of the fight. Just needed to exploded with a combination and it would've been done.

• Paid Members

Imagine missing the fight, waking up, and the first thing you see is this?

6-CDF3375-DCB6-4-FF9-8761-AFFC57361-A8-C

The disappointment ๐Ÿ˜‚

Think I had it 5-3 to Paul. Frustrating to watch. Answered a couple of questions on Paul but not that much really. He got 8 rounds in, whichย is good, but it still doesnโ€™t tell us that much because it wasnโ€™t like Woodley was really pushing him or making him fight at a pace where his conditioning would really be put to the test. He did eat some solid shots from Woodley though and didnโ€™t fold so thereโ€™s that.ย 

1 hour ago, Big'Olympic_Hero'Pete said:

What do we think of that outcome then? Are the Paul's the real deal and deserving of more credit or is it a case of 'fight a load of has-beens and never-weres to try and artificially say boxing is easy?

I think itโ€™s a little bit of both. I wouldnโ€™t go as far as saying theyโ€™re the real deal but I do think the people who completely dismiss them (and I get that itโ€™s easy to do)ย are a bit off as well. Weโ€™ve all seen plenty of 3-0, 4-0 boxers who look green as grass at that stage in their career. The Pauls are no different in that respect, itโ€™s just that instead of their early fights taking place in front of small crowds in leisure centres for peanuts, theyโ€™re happening in main events on Showtime for a lot of money. Theyโ€™re nothing special but weโ€™ve seen worse rookies.

Woodley can be so annoying to watch though because you know heโ€™s got that power and when he actually throws he still looks dangerous. He justย doesnโ€™t throw enough. A mate messaged me just now on about it, heโ€™s a Boxing fan whoโ€™s never really gotten into MMA and has never seen Woodley fight and he was asking if I thought it was a fix because Woodley โ€˜looked like he couldโ€™ve knocked him out at any time if he just let his hands goโ€™. Welcome to the club. Woodleyโ€™s been like thatย for a while. That little spell in the 4th when he had Paul reeling, I think a more polished actual boxer wouldโ€™ve got him out of there at that point. You could see Paul was shaky and trying to buy time and Woodley didnโ€™t really follow up. Itโ€™s whatever. Not a good fight but it was a rookie vs a 40 year old fading MMA fighter. It was never gonna be Corrales vs Castillo or Pryor vs Arguello. A bit more of a test for Paul but you come out of it still unsure of his actual potential.

Daniel Dubois couldnโ€™t have really asked for a better introduction to the US audience. First round knockdown job was the ideal result.

Didnโ€™t watch anything else. How did Tommy Fury look? I saw him and Jake Paul had a little face off backstage at the end of the night so Iโ€™m guessing thatโ€™ll be nextย now as talked about going in?ย 

Tommy Fury showed absolutely nothing in my opinion. He was against a massively undersized opponent with a boxing record of 0-1. He only had 4 rounds to work with but he was not able to knock him out and lacked a lock of technique. A better boxer would have been able to counter his wild swings to knock him out.

Fury vs Paul at this stage would be a come down from Paul vs Woodley. But if it does get booked I am sure they will be able to hype the hell out of it.

ย 

1 hour ago, Zebra Kid Mark said:

Fury vs Paul at this stage would be a come down from Paul vs Woodley. But if it does get booked I am sure they will be able to hype the hell out of it.

At some point he needs to start fighting actual boxers though, and for that he'll need to be matched like any other 4 fight novice. Unless he's happy just running the celebrity circuit and not take the sport seriously, which isn't the case going by what he's saying.

• Paid Members

Just depressingly poor from Woodley. He skirted through a bunch of his MMA career not doing much, sometimes it worked out for him and others it didn't. Here it backfired on him. He showed glimpses of what he can do but he did nowhere near enough to win this, I gave him 2 rounds.

To see Woodley so bitter afterwards was a little bit sad really. They may look at the rematch as the numbers appear to be solid but i dont think its a fight would be clamouring to see again.

Going forward I dont know what Paul should do. If anything the fight should make expectations a little more realistic going forward. I thought Tommy Fury flunked his audition last night but its clear that he'dย comfortably outjab and beat Jake Paul.ย 

MMA fans seem to be taking great pleasure in the images of Paul knocked back into the ropes and claiming that as some kind moral victory in the whole affair, laughable ๐Ÿ˜„

Saw this poll on twitter:

53,000 votes and 58% favoured Woodley. Jake Paul haters?

Edited by Egg Shen