Jump to content

Paul vs Woodley - Aug 29 🇺🇸 🥊


wandshogun09
 Share

Who wins and how?   

12 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

i doubt it, Woodley still wouldn't done enough to win.

I dunno. A rookie fighter landing on his arse for the first time? Can affect a fighter in different ways. I doubt he'd have just gotten up and the fight would have been exactly the same.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, David said:

I dunno. A rookie fighter landing on his arse for the first time? Can affect a fighter in different ways. I doubt he'd have just gotten up and the fight would have been exactly the same.

  I think you're massively grasping at straws here. Are you Tyron Woodley?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Paid Members
33 minutes ago, David said:

I dunno. A rookie fighter landing on his arse for the first time? Can affect a fighter in different ways. I doubt he'd have just gotten up and the fight would have been exactly the same.

I see what you are saying, but the same punch landed regardless. The fact that Paul stayed up and survived is as impressive as hitting the deck, having time to recover and then carrying on, probably even more so.

But my point still stands, if Paul had hit the deck, Woodley wouldnt have done enough in the following round to capitalise on it anyway.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Zebra Kid Mark said:

  I think you're massively grasping at straws here. Are you Tyron Woodley?

What? You don't think a fighter being dropped, knowing he'd then have lost a 10-8 round would affect how he approaches the following rounds? Are you being serious? 

35 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

I see what you are saying, but the same punch landed regardless. The fact that Paul stayed up and survived is as impressive as hitting the deck, having time to recover and then carrying on, probably even more so.

But my point still stands, if Paul had hit the deck, Woodley wouldnt have done enough in the following round to capitalise on it anyway.

It being a recognised knockdown means a 10-8 round though, no? That would certainly play into Paul's thinking in an 8 round fight I think. How would he have handled that? Come at Woodley looking for a stoppage? Be more aggressive to try and cement the rounds that followed? How would that have changed things? We don't know.

We can't just assume that he gets up, and the fight plays out exactly as it did. That's insane.

Edited by David
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Paid Members

Again, I see what you are getting at, but did you actually watch the fight?

Jake Paul was comfortably ahead at the midway point. Even if he had been dropped at the end of round 4, his thinking going into round 5 would likely have been the same, which was be cautious and avoid getting hit again so close to having been hurt, there was no need at that point for Paul to get desperate, he was ahead. It was on Woodley to come out in round 5, pressure Jake and not allow him to recover, but that's exatly what he did. He came out, did very little and Jake Paul won the round. 

Of course we'll never know, but im inclined to think if Jake Paul had hit the canvas on the round the fight would probably have played out just the same.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, David said:

What? You don't think a fighter being dropped, knowing he'd then have lost a 10-8 round would affect how he approaches the following rounds? Are you being serious? 

It being a recognised knockdown means a 10-8 round though, no? That would certainly play into Paul's thinking in an 8 round fight I think. How would he have handled that? Come at Woodley looking for a stoppage? Be more aggressive to try and cement the rounds that followed? How would that have changed things? We don't know.

We can't just assume that he gets up, and the fight plays out exactly as it did. That's insane.

I’m with you. You can be cruising to a piss easy points win but if you get put on your arse and get the count, you know you can be got and you’ll change to make sure it doesn’t happen again. You’ll always be wary of the power that dropped you and could be extra cautious for the rest of the fight. Psychologically, getting dropped is massive when you’re inexperienced, a world away from getting hit and held up by the ropes. 

Edited by Keith Houchen
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Paid Members

Thats irrelevant here though, because Jake Paul was not put on his arse, he fell against the ropes. The argument is whether not the ref should have administered a count whilst Paul was still on his feet. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

He showed glimpses of what he can do but he did nowhere near enough to win...

Tyron Woodley continuing his MMA run. I didn't watch the fight, but it sounds like his usual maddening style. Although I don't really understand what would motivate him to just let loose if he was being pensive with Jake Paul. Boxing is a brutal sport, but its not the same level as MMA, so I don't know why Tyron wouldn't just come in aggressive.

Edited by neil
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

Thats irrelevant here though, because Jake Paul was not put on his arse, he fell against the ropes. The argument is whether not the ref should have administered a count whilst Paul was still on his feet. 

I'm not sure why you're not getting what I'm saying. On his arse, on his feet with a standing count, it would have meant a 10-8 round, which would have changed the perception and gameplan of both fighters. 

That's just a fact. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Paid Members

That response was in reference to what Keith said regarding the psychological difference it would have had between actually hitting the floor and not hitting the floor.

...I know what you are saying Dave. What I disagree with is you seeming to think Jake Paul would have probably come out more aggressive if that punch had resulted in a knockdown, but why? Why would he come out more aggresively? he was still winning the fight at that stage, Jake's corner probably would have told him to be cautious, recover and stay out of trouble until his head had cleared. That sequence was physically as damaging as a knockdown. I saw nothing in there that hinted to me that Jake Paul is the kind of fighter to bite down and want to get one back because he was hit clean. If anything it put him in his shell for abit. 

The problem was, Tyron Woodley did absolutely fuck all to capitalise on the moment. He came out in round 5 and allowed Paul to essentially win the round by doing nothing. Jake Paul wasnt forced to fight back, he was basically allowed time to recover. 

Out of curiosity, have you actually seen the fight?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

That response was in reference to what Keith said regarding the psychological difference it would have had between actually hitting the floor and not hitting the floor.

Getting a standing eight would still have an effect on both boxing novices, not as much as eating canvas but it still would’ve been a big factor in my opinion. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

...I know what you are saying Dave. What I disagree with is you seeming to think Jake Paul would have probably come out more aggressive if that punch had resulted in a knockdown, but why? Why would he come out more aggresively?

Because he's an inexperienced fighter, and that's what they tend to do. They get dropped or hit with a standing eight-count and feel the need to "get that back." Come on mate, you've seen enough boxers at his level in fights do exactly that to know how he'd likely have reacted.

Chuck in the fact that losing a 10-8 round in an eight round fight is enough to make any boxers arse twitch and you have a totally different fight if that punch from Woodley had been called as a knockdown. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...