• Paid Members
3 hours ago, scratchdj said:

I’ve just seen some of the BMX and it’s incredible. It’s like real life Excitebike.

Yes!!! That's exactly what I said to my wife and daughter after we watched some of the prelims tonight! It's bloody ace, the tracks look really cool. 

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

That is something I have noticed about the cycling events in Japan. The scenery and setting is very interesting and appealing. Thanks to @ElCece. I managed to watch the Mountain Biking. If that's a manmade course. They've done a great job of it.

The BMX track looks as if it's been built in the middle of a bunch of skyscrapers. Looks fantastic.

Have BMX bikes always been that small?

Edited by BigJag

Womens Archery Final went to a shoot off! Which would've been exciting but the South Korean bagged a 10 in her first shot and the 'Russian' couldn't match it.

The BMXing was great. Remember that this is a sport that has had ZERO funding since the last games so that is an incredible achievement.

Rugby Sevens, whilst being an OK day out at Twickenham every so often, needs to be binned.

I might be going mad, but is it a full size pitch? It certainly looks it. Imagine playing 5 a side on a full size football pitch. Mental.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, SuperBacon said:

Rugby Sevens, whilst being an OK day out at Twickenham every so often, needs to be binned.

I might be going mad, but is it a full size pitch? It certainly looks it. Imagine playing 5 a side on a full size football pitch. Mental.

Not really, more like 8 aside and the 7 outfield are super fit. That would be a good watch. The 7s is great.

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)
On 7/30/2021 at 1:13 PM, King Coconut said:

The horse manipulation doesn't. 

It can’t be fun for the poor horses being transported half way across the world, just to prance like a prick.

A young woman we were working with when the last Paralympics was on asked “For the horsie events, is it the horse or rider that’s disabled?”

Edited by scratchdj

On 7/30/2021 at 9:42 AM, SuperBacon said:

Womens Archery Final went to a shoot off! Which would've been exciting but the South Korean bagged a 10 in her first shot and the 'Russian' couldn't match it.

If some South Korean men get their way, she’ll be forced to hand the medal back on the grounds of her being a short haired feminist. 

• Moderators
Posted (edited)

Moreover, why are the BOC pumping all this money into the already rich rowers, and we were still beaten by the potato mixed grill guys, when we should be looking into BMX and Wall climbers who haven't got a pot to piss in? 

Edited by PowerButchi

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, PowerButchi said:

Moreover, why are the BOC pumping all this money into the already rich rowers, and we were still beaten by the potato mixed grill guys, when we should be looking into BMX and Wall climbers who haven't got a pot to piss in? 

The fact we have these medalists now who have had to crowdfund to get to the games should make them give their heads a wobble. Absolute embarrassment for the BOC.

The Olympic "plan" was to essentially buy medals, so they put loads of money into disciplines that as a starting point not many people did anyway so it's a smaller pool to compete with. The positive from that is that the British public would be delighted with seeing a nice medal haul propped up by rowing and cycling success and if the odd gymnast, athlete or anyone else who sneaks in with something get through that's great. The counter to that is obvious to anyone, by spending all that funding with the ambition of dominating a couple of sports and barely giving money to anything other than those the odds of us getting success in those sports will be unlikely.

While I won't be holding my breath, I do wonder if the embarrassment of having champions in some of these things openly talking about how difficult it was and having to crowdfund just to be able to compete will lead to any change. More likely though is that they'll talk about their great achievements and wait for the few minutes of fame to disappear after the Olympics are forgotten about and throw more money at rowers to buy their medals back.