UFC 265: Lewis vs Gane - Aug 7 🇺🇸

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

13 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

few other late thoughts:

* Great to Vicente Luque shine. He's moved from being a mid-card crowd pleaser to genuine 170lb contender. I dont think anyone fancied his chances if Chiesa got that thing to the crowd but Luque took care of him. Its made me really wanna see Usman/Luque too, Luque is just dangerous wherever the fight goes. Leon Edwards has to be in front of Luque but given the Covington situation we may see an Edwards/Luque II in short order. 

Heard Luque/Masvidal mentioned too, sign me up.

* Manel Kape finally arrived! shame it was tainted by the weight miss but that was spectacular. I thought it may be going the same way as his past fights, Kape effective but not doing a great deal but then he exploded into that knee. Did think the stoppage was premature though.

* Green/Fiziev was awesome. I genuinely see Fiziev as a future title contender. Bobby Green is probably one of the few guys in that division able to stand in front of Fiziev with such disdain and cockiness and get away with. Fiziev is gonna dust 90% of the guys who stand up with him, nasty fella. The 30-27 card was a joke though. Like wand. said though, whilst Fiziev will wanna move forward, id love to see over 5 in a main eveng. The crowd was so into this though it hurt the start of the main card, Yadong/Kenney had a good fight but it felt like the crowd was burnt out, hurt it a bit.

• Paid Members
On 8/10/2021 at 5:48 PM, Egg Shen said:

few other late thoughts:

* Great to Vicente Luque shine. He's moved from being a mid-card crowd pleaser to genuine 170lb contender. I dont think anyone fancied his chances if Chiesa got that thing to the crowd but Luque took care of him. Its made me really wanna see Usman/Luque too, Luque is just dangerous wherever the fight goes. 

I think we all underestimate Luque’s grappling to be honest. But he’s a BJJ brown-belt and nearly half his wins in MMA came by submission. He’s so fun to watch strike and you immediately think of his slobberknockers with the likes of Bryan Barberena and Niko Price that it’s easy to forget how well rounded he actually is. Even the sub over Tyron Woodley, it gets downgraded because Woodley’s been on the decline for a while but he’d never been submitted before Luque got him and he’s been in with the likes of Gilbert Burns, Demian Maia and Jake Shields. Woodley looked more up for that fight than he had in a long time as well. I’d be up for Luque vs Edwards 2 but maybe not next. I think Edwards is pushing for the next crack at the winner of Usman vs Covington 2 but Burns is angling for the Edwards fight. Few ways it could go. Luque vs Masvidal would be great though. He at least deserves one of the ‘names’ of the division on recent form. And while he should be nowhere near a guy like Luque at this stage, a fight with Nick Diaz could be all kinds of fun if Diaz looks good on his return. Luque vs Lawler too. It’s crazy how Luque’s been on the roster so long yet there are still so many great fresh matchups to throw him in.

With you on Fiziev as well. He’s clearly got some potential and his style fun. Still not 100% convinced though until we see his grappling tested more. 

• Paid Members

Yeh agreed, i think most people had Luque plugged as a blood & guts standup fighter. That ace he has in his backpocket could be the thing that makes a real serious threat in the title hunt. He literally got put in the worst position possible against Chiesa, defended it and used Chiesa's aggression against him. Luque is the man.

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Makes you think could the Wonderboy fight have gone differently had he gone more the grappling route? If he’d won that he’d be on an 11 fight win streak now with wins over the likes of Chiesa, Woodley, Wonderboy, Price x2, Perry, the Barberena stormer. Yeah, they’re not all contenders but it’s quite a run all the same. He’d have as strong a claim to a title shot as anyone if he’d not picked up that L from Wonderboy.