Fury vs Wilder 3 - Oct 9 ๐ŸฅŠ ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

15 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

42 minutes ago, Chunk said:

How unaware must you be about mental health to ask a question like that.

As unaware as posting something on the same page as itโ€™s already been posted on! But yeah, fucking hell.ย 
ย 

So does Fury get a place on the Mount Rushmore of heavyweights now? Who out of Sprott, Harrison, Williams and Skelton has to make way?
ย 

ย 

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

As unaware as posting something on the same page as itโ€™s already been posted on! But yeah, fucking hell.ย 
ย 

So does Fury get a place on the Mount Rushmore of heavyweights now? Who out of Sprott, Harrison, Williams and Skelton has to make way?
ย 

ย 

Fuck, sorry. Just been back and looked and I'm sure that Tweet preview hadn't loaded or something when I read the page.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

ย 

ย 

im gonna need a few days to mull this over

3 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

Im not entirely sure that Wilder ever fights again though. That loss must have ruined him.

Not necessarily. There's plenty of fights out there if he wants them, it depends on if he feels physically able to step back into the ring.

I personally would pick him to drop and stop Joshua within six rounds if they fought. And I'm not sure Usyk could stay away from him long enough to win a decision.ย 

The only man I'd pick to beat him is the man who has beaten him.

• Paid Members

Definitely fights out there him, its just whether or not he wants to continue. He's almost 36, made a shit ton of money and despite the brash exterior appears to be a quiet family man away from the spotlight. He may just call it a day?ย 

Id love to see him come back though, hes never in a dull fight.

One thing I don't like about modern boxing is this fascination with fighters not losing, and if they do they're considered out of contention. For example, Wilder losing to Fury, and Joshua losing to Usyk. You're talking about four of the top five heavyweights in the game today.

It's certainly not great for whoever loses, but they can always bounce back. If Joshua beats Usyk next, does that mean Usyk is out of contention? No way. He's still a force at the top of the division.

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, David said:

One thing I don't like about modern boxing is this fascination with fighters not losing, and if they do they're considered out of contention. For example, Wilder losing to Fury, and Joshua losing to Usyk. You're talking about four of the top five heavyweights in the game today.

Not to mention it also loses sight of the simple fact that an undefeated heavyweight boxer is an incredibly rare thing to have throughout the sport's entire history. There's a reason Marciano's record has held as long as it has, and why only a lower-weight fighter has been able to beat it in terms of numbers - it's highly doubtful a HW will be beating it any time soon, if ever.

17 minutes ago, David said:

It's certainly not great for whoever loses, but they can always bounce back. If Joshua beats Usyk next, does that mean Usyk is out of contention? No way. He's still a force at the top of the division.

That said, surely Wilder's locked out when it comes to Fury? He's 0-2-1 now, and in pretty convincing fashion.

19 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

There's a reason Marciano's record has held as long as it has,

The main reason is you can only beat who is in front of you, and he was around when nobody else was. The only names he ever fought were old men when they fought him.ย 

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

The main reason is you can only beat who is in front of you, and he was around when nobody else was. The only names he ever fought were old men when they fought him.ย 

That's part of my point. He built that record at a time when it was possibly easiest for a heavyweight to do that. I can't see any other point in HW boxing history where that was possible, given both the depth of talent, and the essential nature of HW boxing (higher chance of match-ending punches, lower chance of mobility and technical skills).

• Paid Members

The 0 on a record is just a bit of a marketing tool, especially at heavyweight. The problem is losing when you dont have much fan backing and promotional leverage, then you can find yourself on the outside looking in.

To call someone finished after a bad loss is a bit silly really, best proof of that is Wladimir Klitschko, he suffered a few horrendous losses along the way and went on after them to dominate his era.ย 

Edited by Egg Shen

21 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

There's a lot more to Marciano's impressive record though. He was quite undersized for a heavyweight, even at a time when the top heavies weren't exactly giants. 5'10 and around 190lbs for most of his fights, which would qualify him to fight as an undersized cruiserweight today. In fact, he could very likely make light-heavyweights 175lbs limit if he tried.

What impresses me most about his record is that he wasn't a skilled fighter. At all. He made Wilder look like an olympic champion. Despite that he not only won every professional bout he fought, but won 43 of 49 by knockout.ย 

He essentially won every fight using nothing more than sheer willpower and heart coupled with his two real weapons - an iron jaw and sledgehammers for hands. So hard a clubber was he that Carmine Vingo was actually taken to hospital and given the last rites after Marciano landed an uppercut that almost killed him.

His punching power was tested in the early 60's and it was said a hook from Rocky represents as much energy as would be required to spot lift 1000 pounds one foot off the ground, which is astounding for a man who stood 5'10 and weighed less than 200lbs.

His durability was on show when he faced Ezzard Charles in September 1954 and was the recipient of a nasty elbow that split his nose open...

spacer.png

That happened in round six, and reports are that the referee and ringside doctor basically told him at the end of the round that due to blood loss and concern over the cut they would give him a few more rounds before stopping the fight.

Marciano proceeded to come out in the 7th and absolutely go to work on Charles, with the round ending with Charles in trouble. He then dropped him twice in the eighth, the second time knocking Charles out.

I wouldn't rate Marciano as top five in the overall best heavyweights of all time, but I'd rate him undisputed number one when it comes to heart & determination.

One of the dream fights I'd love to see is Marciano against one of my all-time favourites, Joe Frazier. Imagine those two in their prime going at it? Fucking hell.