UFC Vegas: Hall vs Strickland - Jul 31 🇺🇸

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

9 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

I aint so sure about that. I might be wrong but i cant recall the UFC ever trying to push a nickname or a gimmick on the commentary like that, thats proper WWE stuff. Like they obviously have their favorites, and the commentary team frequently favour one fighter but i dunno about pushing a nickname onto someone?

1 hour ago, Egg Shen said:

I aint so sure about that. I might be wrong but i cant recall the UFC ever trying to push a nickname or a gimmick on the commentary like that, thats proper WWE stuff. Like they obviously have their favorites, and the commentary team frequently favour one fighter but i dunno about pushing a nickname onto someone?

Bisping was banging on about it from the moment the twat walked through the curtain, and during the fight. Are we to assume he just did all of that on his own accord, and that the UFC couldn't have passed word for him to calm his jets if they'd wanted to?

• Paid Members
23 hours ago, neil said:

LOL...he's absolutely awful and that was a punk move by him. But yeah, two pieces of shit in that video so not shocking that they are training...and getting into it with each other

Ha, I wasn’t familiar with Orlando Sanchez at all before that video so I’m just going off that. If he’s a nob then fair enough, I don’t know enough about him. It was a dick move but Strickland’s a cock anyway so Sanchez’s tale of him mouthing off and provoking the whole incident made sense. Hard to tell from a video like that though where it starts with them both probably already wound up. 

Just got around to this.

Strickland vs Hall wasn’t much of a fight in the end. Just never did get going. Don’t know if it was more down to what Strickland was doing or Hall having another one of his nights where he just didn’t show up. Half and half, I suppose. I like Hall, he seems like a really nice guy and those rare occasions when he’s on he’s great to watch. But at this point I don’t really have any desire to ever see him main event over 5 rounds again. Not even sure how long he wants to keep doing this but he is what he is at this stage. At 37, the hopes of him getting over that hump and becoming a player are in the rear view. Can’t even say ‘there’s still fun fights to make’ because even the fights you think will be fun with Hall, it all seems to depend on his mood that day. You can never guarantee a barnburner but with Hall especially, it seems to be a complete lottery. Not in love with watching Strickland to be honest either. He’s a good fighter and he’s worked his way into this spot, he’s definitely earned it, but there’s something about him I just can’t take to. In the cage and out of it.

Strickland’s comments after the fight about wanting to kill someone were bad but sadly not surprising. He’d made similar comments in the past and even in the run up to this fight. He’s an arsehole. One of the media asked him at the press conference about a potential ‘dream fight’ with Kevin Holland. Obviously makes no sense at the moment with Strickland on a winning streak and Holland on a losing streak. But is it just me who thinks that sounds like an awful fight anyway? Whose ‘dream fight’ is that? Just because they’re both gobshites during the fight? It’d probably be cack. Especially if they booked it as a 5 rounder. 25 minutes of them throwing 3 strikes a round and just shouting at each other. Christ. I can open a window and listen to the neighbours if I just wanna hear people hurling insults at each other.

Cheyanne Buys smashing Gloria De Paula in a minute was sweet and much needed after her disastrous debut against Montserrat Conejo where she just got ragged about and thrown around in a headlock for 15 minutes. She needed to be making a statement here and it was quite a finish.

7FA5AC43-85F0-4BAC-886F-6923B435F968.gif

I saw some people losing the head over this finish as if it means Buys is a contender now or something. But, while it was a cool finish, it still doesn’t tell us much because De Paula’s nothing special herself. It was similar after Miesha Tate’s win over Reneau the other week. You have to take into account who they’re beating. Regardless, a quick knockout is always good for the record. Especially rebounding from a frustrating loss.

One of the silver linings to a thin card like this is that the spotlight goes to guys and girls who wouldn’t otherwise have gotten it and Melsik Baghdasaryan really seized his opportunity here. What a debut.

98618DAF-E7CD-4057-A3C6-3E47F59F4A11.gif

Early days of course but he looks like he could be a potential problem. 6-1 in MMA, 11-2 in Kickboxing, 3-0 in Boxing, still hasn’t hit 30 years old yet. Long way to go and we need to see him against more tested fighters that we’re more familiar with but it was a nice debut, a great finish and he got POTN bonus. Not a bad start. He’s got his work cut out though because Featherweight’s the kind of division where there aren’t many easy fights and you won’t be protected. If you don’t have the goods, you’ll be found out soon enough. Hopefully he’s the real deal though. Just makes 145 that bit more exciting.

Witt vs Barberena was a slobberknocker and a half. Well deserving FOTN. You can pretty much always rely on Barberena to deliver. Shame he didn’t win here but fair play to Witt for hanging with him toe to toe and getting the win. The third round especially was mad.

83AD8F08-679C-4B98-ABA7-3616959EF7C1.gif

Brendan Fitzgerald saying “I need a cigarette” at the end summed it up. And I don’t even smoke. Wild fight.

Gruetzemacher vs Garcia was a good scrap. I remember thinking after Garcia’s last fight with Haqparast, which he took on short notice, that he was a hard sod and was looking forward to seeing him here after a full camp. He came up short here but what a battle. Redemption for Gruetzemacher as well, he looked awful against Alex Hernandez in his last fight but in fairness that was after a long layoff. He was well up for it here. Wouldn’t have had a problem with this getting FOTN either, to be honest.

Kamaka and Chavez had a decent foul filled scrap. Thought Kamaka put in a strong showing and would’ve won but unfortunately (especially for Chavez) he also put in strong eye pokes and bollock shots resulting in the point deduction, which ultimately led to the draw. Tough bastard though Chavez, to keep going after the eye pokes. Accidental or not, I think refs need to be quicker taking points. How many fouls did Kamaka commit here before Herb Dean finally docked him a point deep into the second round? Then no more fouls after the deduction. The point deductions work if it’s actually enforced. But if you’re just gonna keep warning with no real consequences, where’s the deterrent?

Was happy to see Jinh Yu Frey get another win. Wasn’t an amazing fight but better to watch than I thought it’d be. Had its moments. This was hilarious though;

141AD94B-2545-4A54-9D53-5042E60564E3.gif

Yoder was fighting like she was playing a video game and only knew the buttons for one combo so kept spamming it. Frey just standing there eating left after left wasn’t good though. I like Frey but I just don’t see her going much further. 36 years old, undersized for the weight and if she’s being taken the distance and making hard work of beating a nothing happening fighter like Yoder, it doesn’t bode well. I mean, points-wise she clearly won this but if you watched the fight it wasn’t one that’ll give you much hope for Frey’s future at 115.

Adashev vs Benoit was a fun little battle of munchkins. They just threw heat the whole 15 minutes. Really entertaining fight. Adashev’s a weird one though. You’d think a guy coming from a Kickboxing background would really shine in fights like this that are predominantly standup but he tends to get hurt or dropped a lot in MMA. Benoit had him in bother here but in the end Adashev’s use of the calf kicks made the difference and paid off. If he hadn’t got those going early on I think Benoit might’ve came out with the W. Fun one though.

Phil Rowe vs Orion Cosce on Fight Pass was a lively way to kick off the card. Cosce had a strong start and comfortably cruised his way to winning the round. But Rowe came out like a different fighter in the second, much more urgency about him. Landed some hard shots and had Cosce reeling before finally putting him away.

EBB417E6-0301-4DF1-99AE-5C888B9C5F99.gif

Quite a turnaround and finish. He needed this win as well. He’d already lost his UFC debut and he missed weight for this fight. If he’d lost again here, especially after the weight miss, there’d be a decent chance he’d have just been sacked.

Pretty enjoyable show for how crap it looked going in. But fuck me the amount of times I saw some variation of ‘it’s ALWAYS the cards that look weak that turn out to be bangers!!! You can’t judge a card until it’s over.’ It’s really not always that way though. A lot of times a card looks cack because it’s cack and it’s fine to say that. And if you can’t judge a card before it happens then you can’t say a card’s gonna be great either by that logic. Dana’s not paying us, if a card looks shite we can say as much. This was one of those shows that was better than it looked going in but a lot of that is because expectations were so low. 

2 hours ago, David said:

Bisping was banging on about it from the moment the twat walked through the curtain, and during the fight. Are we to assume he just did all of that on his own accord, and that the UFC couldn't have passed word for him to calm his jets if they'd wanted to?

Yes. 

Bisping says what ever he wants to say, that's why it's so refreshing to have him on the commentary team. If the psychopath moniker had come from Brendan Fitzgerald then I could possibly see where you were coming from, Bisping isn't the kind of guy who gets fed lines, and if he does get fed a line, he would probably say something like  "the producers are telling me to refer to him as a psychopath, so that's what I'm going to call him."

He knows Strickland first hand from training with him so he probably felt more comfortable in calling him that as he probably knows Strickland admits to being a psycho.

• Paid Members

outside of the play by play guy getting told when to read his ads and certain direction with regards to things that happen in the fight (fouls etc), i aint sure any UFC commentor is fed a narrative through the headphones to get across. I dont think anyway? i never assumed that would happen, i might be wrong.

Edited by Egg Shen

19 hours ago, Zebra Kid Mark said:

Bisping says what ever he wants to say, that's why it's so refreshing to have him on the commentary team.

Does he fuck. Bisping may have a certain amount of leeway to offer his opinions, but let's be real here, he's doing a job and as such he'll do what he's fucking told. 

If the UFC did not want the psychopath chat happening, it wouldn't have happened. 

• Paid Members
On 8/4/2021 at 2:12 AM, Carbomb said:

Can't be having that. Sleazy Luke cannot be allowed to turn face by being booked against a heel like that.

It's not fair is it. What an unnatural position the UFC have put us in by making us have to support the handsome prick.