UFC Vegas: Sandhagen vs Dillashaw - Jul 24 🇺🇸

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

13 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Yeah Gall vs Williams had no business on the main card from the off. Costa vs Yanez is better than anything on the main card outside the main event for me. And it might well even end up being a better actual fight than that. It’ll either end in highlight reel fashion or be a 15 minute war, I reckon. Only way I see it being disappointing is if it’s over too quick.

• Paid Members

Yeah, Phillips definitely deserves a bit of spotlight. And he would’ve gotten more of it if that Assuncao fight never fell apart. That would’ve added nicely to this main card. Paiva’s alright but he’s whatever as an opponent. Phillips should do a job on him.

Yanez on Costa as an opponent and the Dr Pepper vs Reese’s battle;

Yanez is like Masvidal’s much more likeable little brother to me.

I think he’s right on this Costa fight as well. Both are exciting as fuck and dangerous but I definitely feel like Yanez is the slicker and more polished of the two on the feet, and that’s where I expect this fight to mostly play out. I think Costa’s aggression could really work against him in this one, Yanez has some lethal counter striking and timing. He’s just way better technically for me. But I wouldn’t count Costa out and it should be wild however long it lasts.

As you can probably tell, I’m a little bit excited about this fight. 

• Paid Members

Aspen Ladd vs Macy Chiasson, the co-main event, is off now according to Nolan King from MMA Junkie. Injury to one of them apparently. Wasn’t particularly arsed about the fight but it’ll be a real shame if it’s Ladd injured again coming off the long layoff from knee surgery.

The silver lining though, this clears the way for Costa vs Yanez to take its rightful position as co-main on this card. Costa’s got the same idea. 

It’s the move to make. Seems like it’s just meant to be. I love the whole story of this fight. It got made in the first place because of social media, with both fighters and fans calling for it. Then it got promoted from the prelims to the main card, again seemingly in large part due to constant campaigning for it on social media. Now it’s in a position where it could (and should) be co-headlining. No reason not to do it. I’m genuinely seeing more excitement for this than Sandhagen vs Dillashaw the closer it’s getting. And the unique thing about this one is there’s been no fake beef to hype it up. Closest they’ve come to arguing is over fizzy pop and chocolate, for fuck’s sake. It’s purely buzz based on the fighting styles and how likeable both are. I get that it can’t be that way all the time, it’d be boring as fuck if every buildup to a fight was a big love-in. But it’s worked here. I think the timing of it coming off the ugly Poirier vs McGregor 3 build and fallout has helped and made this feel refreshing in comparison as well. Get it in that co-main spot. They deserve it. 

• Paid Members

Still, fuck it off from co-main. Not that it matters a huge deal but Costa vs Yanez should’ve been in that spot from the beginning anyway. Let Ladd bash some scrub up on the prelims. Could work out better for her anyway coming off the injury and time away. 

• Paid Members

Mightn’t be that simple though. Especially on less than 48 hours notice. They could be way off weight or injured. Lansberg hasn’t fought in ages, not even sure if she’s still on the roster.

If they do get Ladd a replacement, it’ll most likely be someone they bring in from a smaller organisation who’s fought recently, so they’re still on the weight, and are willing to step in just to get a foot in the door. I can see them just ending up moving Ladd to another card though. 

I'm looking forward to this card a lot, the main event has a lot at stakes and it can go either way. I haven't checked the odds yet but I'd be surprised if anyone was a favourite because it's that even.

Cory is a savage who has been on a roll since getting choked out by Aljo and we all know TJ is on another level, has ring rust kicked in? Have the top 5 bantamweights caught up with him since he's been gone? My only hope is the fight lasts longer than 2 rounds as a quick ending wouldn't do this fight justice.

Yanez vs Costa is going to be fireworks, Yanez is a DWCS season 4 alum and he has looked great ever since.

Speaking of alums of DWCS season 4, Jordan Williams is also from that season. He didn't do too well in his debut but I like his character and heart a lot, he has diabetes which is very unusual for a fighter to have and because of it, he is unable to cut weight, so unfortunately for him he is always going to be undersized in his fights. Micky Gall is quite a big welterweight so I think he will be able to dominate Jordan on the ground with his jujitsu. I find Gall fun to watch, he's a familiar face during an era of sometimes forgettable ham and eggers so I will always go out my way to watch his fights even if they are buried in the prelims. Saying that, it was definitely the right call bumping Yanez and Costa to the main card in its place.