UFC Vegas: Makhachev vs Moises - Jul 17 🇺🇸

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

12 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

WOW well this show was an absolute SLOG to watch live and I cannot genuinely remember the last time I've said this about a UFC show.

It felt more like a MMA talk show than a live card at numerous times throughout the night. (I only watched it live because I'm heavily sunburnt and couldn't sleep)
I actually made a note within the first 2 hours and 20 minutes of the show 55 minutes was just talking/hyping/video packages.

That being said there were some decent fights throughout the night. 

Francisco Figueiredo vs Malcolm Gordon
I'm literally only mentioning this fight because Mini Figgy was fighting again and once again he showed 0 levels of talent compared to his brother. I completely agreed with the judges on this one. I gave figgy round 1 and round's 2/3 to Gordon. I don't know how long they will keep Mini Figgy around for but so far he has shown nothing special and is coming off this loss and his only win was by judges decision so nothing spectacular or highlight reel by any stretch.

Billy Quarantillo vs Gabriel Benitez
Won fight of the night and rightly so, It was an absolute slugfest from start to finish. 

Mateusz Gamrot vs Jeremy Stephens
Was absolutely jawdropping I like many other people had Stephens down to win this fight and he lost not only by submission in the first minute of the fight but to add insult to injury he didn't throw a SINGLE shot. Immediately taken down and submitted which was mind blowing. Stephens is now coming off a 6 fight loosing streak and his last win was in Feb 2018 so he really did need to win last night or at the very least show some reason why he should be kept around but he really didn't 

Miesha Tate vs Marion Reneau
It was absolutely lovely to see Miesha back and while I believe she had abit of ring rust in the first round she seemed hesitant to really throw anything and push forward that completely changed in the second and subsequently third where she got the win. It did look like Reneau almost gave up in the third round even the commentary said as much but she retired as we welcomed back Tate. That being said she mentioned she wanted a couple more fights then she wants to go for the belt. In the nicest possible way she has 0 chance of winning against Nunes now. Not that Tate is bad or not at a certain level its more that Nunes is just THAT GOOD.

Islam Makhachev vs Thiago Moises
This was never going to be a fireworks main event, This was a true test for Makhachev and he went into each and every round with patience and a clear cut gameplan before getting the submission victory in the 4th round which was very well deserved and it's interesting too see where he goes from here. He has alot of hype around him being the next Khabbib and while i see why that's being said......I think he still has a way to go before he gets near Khabbib's level. But he's on his way.

I mean I was up anyway so it's not like I went out my way to watch it live but this show was the hardest and most irritating I've watched in a long long time. If they don't have enough fights on the card to have the show start at say 12pm open up little bit of talk about the main event and main card but then fire into fights until the end, They have to look at maybe pushing back the start time or whatever because the entire night felt disjointed and like I said a MMA talk show, Not a live fight card. 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Kfogg1991 said:

It felt more like a MMA talk show than a live card at numerous times throughout the night. (I only watched it live because I'm heavily sunburnt and couldn't sleep)
I actually made a note within the first 2 hours and 20 minutes of the show 55 minutes was just talking/hyping/video packages.

This is the risk you run watching live. This was a 10 fight card where only 2 went to decisions. The way the shows are presented now, you’re gonna get a load of filler when it goes like that. It’s why I stopped watching Fight Nights live a while back. You end up sitting through ads half the night. They can pace PPVs better so it’s not so bad staying up for them but the free TV shows are a different beast.

If you think this was bad, attending shows could be even worse. I remember going to UFC 80 in Newcastle back in 2008 and, of the 9 fights on the card, only 2 went the distance and one of them was the Paul Kelly vs Paul Taylor barnburner. 7 of the fights ended inside the distance, 4 of them in the first round, 3 of them lasted around a minute and one of them lasted just 17 seconds! To say there was a ton of time to kill between fights would be an understatement. As exciting as the fights themselves were and as good a night as I had, the live experience of the show itself was very disjointed and resulted in me getting absolutely bladdered between fights just to have something to do. Only real memory of the main card was BJ Penn butchering Joe Stevenson in the main event. The rest’s a blur. In contrast, I went to UFC 89 in Birmingham later that year. Full of decisions. No time for filler or waffle, they were running out of time to the point they sent Shane Carwin out while Buffer was still announcing the winner of the previous fight, and Carwin was just waiting cageside to step in as soon as they got out of the cage.

The difference back then though, was they used to slot prelims in on the live broadcast when fights ended early and they had time to fill. This was back when we’d only get the main card televised though. They can’t really do that now because they probably think rerunning fights most of the viewers will have already watched an hour earlier will have them flicking over to something else. And they’re probably right. It’s a double edged sword. If a card is full of fights that go to the cards people moan it’s boring. If it’s a card like this where it’s nearly all finishes, there’ll be a lot of waffle in between and people will get bored of that. Live combat sports for you. The unpredictability of it isn’t always a good thing.

Anyway, I mostly enjoyed this. Couple of fights that didn’t grab me but on the whole, it was a good card. I had the luxury of being able to skip the ads and shite though. I’d probably feel differently if I’d sat through the whole thing at 5am or whatever.

Makhachev looked the business again. The Khabib comparisons are a bit unfair really. It’s totally understandable why they get compared. They’re teammates, from the same gym, there are similarities in the styles etc. The fact that he’s being groomed as the guy Khabib’s passing the baton onto adds to it as well. I’ve compared them myself a few times. It’s natural. But everyone expecting him to live up to the standard Khabib set is a bit much. Khabib was a one-off. I think Makhachev is legit though and can go far based on what we’ve seen so far. How far remains to be seen. This was a strong performance.

CB40-E5-E3-6-D5-C-414-E-A18-D-24183-C8-D

Submitting a BJJ black-belt under Kanye West? The division is on notice.

Seriously, Moises is good, he was just out of his depth here. I want to see Makhachev stepped up now though. Nothing against Moises but it feels like Islam should be past this point by now. Whether it’s that the bigger name, higher ranked guys don’t like the risk vs reward ratio or just bad timing, who knows? But this is 2 dominant performances on the trot now, 2 submissions, and this was his first main event. It’s been a slow burner but I think his next fight needs to be against a bigger name. I’ve been on about that Dos Anjos fight forever and that’d still be my first choice. Give them 5 rounds on an upcoming card. People are on about RDA fighting McGregor but who knows when McGregor will be back and when he does, he’ll probably be straight into a fourth fight with Poirier, title or no title. RDA’s too long in the tooth to be waiting around for Limp McBizkit. 

Great seeing Miesha Tate back with a win. A real feel-good moment for everyone except Marion Reneau. 

AA0E3738-3949-470D-B626-0DCCC0FE032C.gif

Already seeing quite a bit of fans online losing their head a little bit and declaring her ‘back’, talking about whether she can win the title and stuff. ‘Tate 2.0’ and all that. I get wanting to see her do well but I think people need to be realistic and put this in perspective. She looked alright here. Considering the layoff it was an OK performance and she did finish a woman who’s never been finished before. But this was a 44 year old Marion Reneau who’d already announced her retirement before the fight. The jury’s out for me. You can’t read too much into a win like this. It was the perfect matchmaking for Tate’s return really. She said when she announced her comeback that Dana was unsure about the comeback and this matchup showed that. All respect to Reneau but she was about the ‘safest’ comeback opponent possible. This was clearly designed to see how Tate looked on fight week, see how she made weight, how she looked in there after such a long time away etc. Now she’s probably going to get some tougher opposition. If she can beat a couple more I’ve got no doubt they’ll rush her into a title shot. But let’s be honest, it’s ending in tears. She’s never beating Amanda Nunes. I don’t care how much more positive and happy her life is now. It’s not happening. It was nice seeing her win but I saw nothing that made me think she’s massively improved since we last saw her in 2016. 

I read something after the fight about Holly Holm asking for the rematch. Reneau to Holm would be a massive jump for Tate and one I’m not convinced she’s ready for. Even a Holm who’s pushing 40. She’s been active and stayed sharp the whole time Tate’s been gone and she was giving Tate a hiding before Tate got the comeback submission in their last fight. Don’t mean to put a negative spin on what was a nice moment but I’m still not sure about this comeback. Reminds me of when Faber returned and got the quick finish against Ricky Simon. Then they put him in with Petr Yan and he got fucked up. I think this Reneau win has given some a distorted impression of where Miesha’s at in her career. I’d love to be wrong but I don’t think I am. 

Gamrot pissing through Stephens was sweet. Although also a bit of a letdown because I think people were hoping for a good scrap here and Gamrot just ripped his arm off in a minute.

796DBE24-7A4B-4856-B2C8-615F72CB266E.gif

Nasty.

2 hours ago, Kfogg1991 said:

Mateusz Gamrot vs Jeremy Stephens

Was absolutely jawdropping I like many other people had Stephens down to win this fight

I don’t really know why people would’ve favoured Stephens here. Like you say yourself, he’s been on a horrible run the last few years. And Gamrot’s the real deal. Former double champ in KSW and has only lost once, and it was a razor close decision in his UFC debut. The timing of this favoured Gamrot massively for me. He’s on the rise, Stephens is on the decline. Stephens has that game changing punch and he’s never dull, which is what made this interesting for me, but I didn’t fancy his chances that much here. I didn’t see Gamrot rolling over him as easily as he did though. 

Nice rebound win for Rodolfo Vieira after that shock submission loss the other month. He needed this. He gassed horribly in that fight as well so it was reassuring here that he went into the third round and was still able to get the submission. Wasn’t all his own way either, Stoltzfus gave him a hard fight but he got it done. Loved the finish as well.

3434F14D-99A1-4FAA-B0B2-E71C050661B0.gif

Beautiful. Happy to see him win. Seemed like everyone wrote him off after the Hernandez loss. Chiesa and Chandler picking Stoltzfus before the fight as well. But that was Vieira’s first loss. He’s got some of the best grappling on the roster, he’s shown he’s not shy about striking or timid about getting hit like some BJJ guys have been historically. Not saying he’ll ever be UFC champion or anything but I thought it was harsh the way some were a bit dismissive of him based off one bad night. 

Quarantillo vs Benitez was well deserving of the FOTN bonus. Such an entertaining fight and Quarantillo is making a habit of them now. Don’t recall a dull moment since he signed with the UFC.

D5B4093F-A577-4842-A4D4-25E2349ABF75.gif

Awesome fight. Despite how exciting Quarantillo’s been in the UFC so far, he’s a guy I keep forgetting about for some reason when I think of Featherweights. So many potentially great fights in that division for him though. 

Daniel Rodriguez has become a bit of a midcard favourite of mine over the last year or so. Always brings it and he’s constantly going for the finish. Fair play to this Parsons bloke stepping in with a big hitter like D-Rod on short notice but for the few grand they’d have paid him, was it worth it? Like Rodriguez though. He’s putting a very respectable record together as well. 15-2 now and has won 11 of his last 12. 

Poor Conejo eh?

44345645-4223-4BC8-B28F-4FE0957E49BC.gif

At first glance I thought early stoppage. The way Conejo popped straight back up I thought it was a bit quick of the ref. Rewatching it, I can see why he did but he didn’t really give her much chance to do anything. As soon as she hit the deck, he waved it off. She was definitely hurt. Even when she got back up she was wobbly. But I dunno. Fighters get dropped all the time and it doesn’t get stopped immediately without them having chance to even attempt to recover/fight back. Plus it was 30 seconds into the fight. Wasn’t like she’d been taking a prolonged beating prior to this. Saying that, Conejo didn’t protest it. She was noticeably pissed off though…

C66CBB2D-0085-4512-9CAD-78B8752C6E3C.gif

Man, if looks could kill 😂

I should mention the winner though because Amanda Lemos has got my attention over her last few fights. Never really noticed her until she put a proper beating on Mizuki Inoue last year. And since then she’s battered Livia Renata Souza in a round (Souza was a former Invicta champ who had never been stopped previously) and now drops Conejo in 35 seconds. Whether I thought the stoppage was premature or not, she’s clearly dangerous and you don’t see many Strawweights with that kind of firepower. Between her and Virna Jandiroba, there’s some exciting fighters coming up at 115lbs.

Mad Wallid hijacking Lemos’ post-fight interview was a highlight of the card for me. The Brazilian John Fury. This made me laugh as well. 

B985-A313-F7-C5-42-BD-A9-BE-C6-F91-D44-C

Good ol’ Wallid. 

Gordon vs Figgy #2 didn’t really grab me. Solid showing from Gordon and a much needed win that’s probably saved him his place on the roster. Figueiredo doesn’t look anything special but I don’t think he’s bad. It’s like the Khabib/Makhachev thing a bit. Big shoes to fill and I think Francisco suffers a bit from the comparison. There are some things they do similar but he clearly lacks the explosiveness and charisma of his bro. 

Didn’t see it but I was happy to see Rodrigo Nascimento got back to winning ways down on Fight Pass. Heavyweight needs all the new blood it can get and he was looking like a decent prospect before running into Chris Daukaus’ fist. 

Pretty good show. 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Moderators
3 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

Poor Conejo eh?

Yeah I did feel like it was a very quick stoppage, she got dropped but didn't get touched after that and seemed to be ready to pop back up

C66CBB2D-0085-4512-9CAD-78B8752C6E3C.gif

Man, if looks could kill 😂

😍

• Paid Members

decent main card. 

The Makhachev/Khabib comparisons are abit of a blessing and a curse. Its probably the first time the p4p best in the world went out on top and went straight into coaching the next guy to take his spot. It works from a marketing and interest standpoint because Khabib is right by his side and they are similar enough in that it feels like the Khabib story continuing. It does put pressure on him to perform but hes doing it. He's not as outwardly aggressive as Khabib but he just seems in control from start to finish. RDA next sounds like the perfect step to me.

Loving Mateusz Gamrot too. If he'd won that UFC debut i think people would be really talking this guy up now cause hes looked great in his last two fights. Nobody take out Jeremy Stephens like that. Wouldnt mind seeing Gamrot on that London card, get the Poles involved.

Is that for Stephens? on the broadcast they said they thought he'd be the first UFC fighter to reach 40 fights, he's 5 away but is 0-5 in his last 5, not many survive that kind of run, one more chance? 

The UFC also gave out 4 POTN bonuses as well as the FOTN, that was good to see.

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members

I just had a look at her record - is Raquel Pennington still knocking about? That would be a winnable fight for her, and she could avenge the loss.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Carbomb said:

I just had a look at her record - is Raquel Pennington still knocking about? That would be a winnable fight for her, and she could avenge the loss.

Pennington is fighting Pannie Kianzad in September. Tate vs Pennington 2 would kind of make sense though, with Pennington being the one to technically ‘retire’ Tate back in 2016. Jessica Rose Clark has respectfully called out Tate as well since Saturday night. It’s a fight a lot of Bantamweights are gonna want because Tate’s obviously one of the more well known and popular names in the division but also one they see as very beatable. 

6 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

The Makhachev/Khabib comparisons are abit of a blessing and a curse. Its probably the first time the p4p best in the world went out on top and went straight into coaching the next guy to take his spot. It works from a marketing and interest standpoint because Khabib is right by his side and they are similar enough in that it feels like the Khabib story continuing. It does put pressure on him to perform but hes doing it. He's not as outwardly aggressive as Khabib but he just seems in control from start to finish. RDA next sounds like the perfect step to me.

I’ve also seen people suggesting Makhachev vs Beneil Dariush or Michael Chandler. Either of them would be great. I’ve been on about rebooking the RDA fight ever since the first attempt in November fell apart but I’d be up for any of those three. Something about Makhachev vs Dariush really appeals to me as well. That’s a pairing I hadn’t thought of before that I now love the sound of. Then there’s Tony Ferguson. He wouldn’t be my choice and I think it’d be a terrible fight for Ferguson to take style-wise, coming off those Oliveira and Dariush losses, but Makhachev was mentioning Tony’s name after this show as someone he’d be interested in fighting. There’s so many options.

6 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

Loving Mateusz Gamrot too. If he'd won that UFC debut i think people would be really talking this guy up now cause hes looked great in his last two fights. Nobody take out Jeremy Stephens like that. Wouldnt mind seeing Gamrot on that London card, get the Poles involved.

Yeah and even that loss to Kutateladze was really close to the point Kutateladze said in his post-fight interview that he thought Gamrot won. I had it for Kutateladze myself but it shows how thin that decision was. 

Gamrot vs Mason Jones would be a hell of a fight now you mention the London card. And both would be logical for that card. Can’t see Jones being matched up with him coming off a loss and an eye poke finish but stranger matchups have been made. I’d love to see it.